Originally Posted by robmypro
Agree 100%.
Me too.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:25 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,767 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Why do people care what other people do with their cars?
Old 05-06-2017, 03:09 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,801 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Why do people care what other people do with their cars?
Because we are a very caring bunch.

Btw, here is how I drive my GT cars....drive to the track...track it...then drive it back...then go show some homes with it...then go home. Great multi-purpose car.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:14 AM
ohniner
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by DannieK
I know there's been several polls about manual vs. pdk for the new GT3, but I haven't read anything about how many buyers intend to predominately track it vs. using it mostly for street driving regardless of the trans.

Sorry if I'm blaspheming in asking this, but I'd really like to know. At the NY Auto Show the question of tracking vs. street seemed to be a constant back ground discussion.

From my reading it seems like tracking has been, and will be, it's primary use. But for myself, I'm a street guy. I tried track and didn't care for it. I drive because I love driving, fast or slow, and a GT car represents, for me, the ultimate driver's car.

My only drag with the manual will be the constant stop and go NYC traffic and the 10million potholes which I'll avoid by using my wife's Macan. I also work from home so I won't have to worry about the daily drive.
Don't let anyone else's opinions sway you, it's your "sports car" not race car and spec it as you feel you would enjoy it the most. These are street cars that you can take to a track day if you so choose or not. All these opinions are just that, personal opinions that are neither right nor wrong. Anyway you spec it it will be a great car but make it great for you and your intended usage, enjoy a wonderful car.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:04 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

The great thing about the GT3 is that you really don't need to choose one or the other. Awesome street car. The ultimate track cheater car. What do you want to do today? The car is ready.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:05 PM
Pazzo009
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

My 2 cents.... Buying a GT3/RS and never tracking it at least once is a waste. I understand a lot of you guys just love that car and want to take it for spirited drives. You can afford the car and want it, so good for you. However, YOU WILL NEVER EVER EVER EVER KNOW WHAT THE CAR'S FULL CAPABILITIES ARE UNLESS YOU ARE ON A TRACK. You simply will never come close and enjoy what the car was designed to do. You will never apex turns, get tires to temp, and do everything else the controlled environment a track can offer.

My saying is; once you track your GT3, driving on the street is like sex with a condom. So maybe some of you re gasping that I would say such hurtful things, but thats the truth. Have fun with your car, it's your car and I'm sure you have worked hard for it...Good for you, but to guys who have tracked it and continue to do so will have a special experience of euphoria that you will never know.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:08 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

And Sex with a condom really sucks.... so, stay monogamous and track your GT3 is the moral of this story.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:30 PM
Pazzo009
Pro

Originally Posted by CAlexio
And Sex with a condom really sucks.... so, stay monogamous and track your GT3 is the moral of this story.
Precisely!!!!!!!
Old 05-06-2017, 03:41 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Pazzo009
My 2 cents.... Buying a GT3/RS and never tracking it at least once is a waste. I understand a lot of you guys just love that car and want to take it for spirited drives. You can afford the car and want it, so good for you. However, YOU WILL NEVER EVER EVER EVER KNOW WHAT THE CAR'S FULL CAPABILITIES ARE UNLESS YOU ARE ON A TRACK. You simply will never come close and enjoy what the car was designed to do. You will never apex turns, get tires to temp, and do everything else the controlled environment a track can offer.

My saying is; once you track your GT3, driving on the street is like sex with a condom. So maybe some of you re gasping that I would say such hurtful things, but thats the truth. Have fun with your car, it's your car and I'm sure you have worked hard for it...Good for you, but to guys who have tracked it and continue to do so will have a special experience of euphoria that you will never know.
You're generalizing. Much depends on the track. There are many tracks that offer a controlled environment but do not offer high speed turns or straights many public roads do. Furthermore, none of us will ever know the full capabilities of the car whether on a track or street. To criticize street drivers on that point is being disingenuous.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:55 PM
Pazzo009
Pro

Originally Posted by Nick
You're generalizing. Much depends on the track. There are many tracks that offer a controlled environment but do not offer high speed turns or straights many public roads do. Furthermore, none of us will ever know the full capabilities of the car whether on a track or street. To criticize street drivers on that point is being disingenuous.
Of course tracks are different. Also, are you saying that you take turns at over 100 mph on public roads? If so, that doesn't seem prudent. In doing so, are your tires over 150 degrees? Are you safely apexing that turn? Is the pavement smooth? What about wildlife?

Going on a track will allow you expand your horizons on what the car can offer. This simply cannot be done on the street. It sounds to me like you're one of those who does not track so you're expressing why you disagree with my sentiments.

I'm not criticizing street drivers, I'm just telling them they could have bought a 991S and had as much fun or that they are only using 25% of the potential of a GT3.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:28 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Of course tracks are different. Also, are you saying that you take turns at over 100 mph on public roads? If so, that doesn't seem prudent. In doing so, are your tires over 150 degrees? Are you safely apexing that turn? Is the pavement smooth? What about wildlife?
Looks like someone hasn't done a PCA group drive yet...

Having lived at the track on motos, I understand the fact that the track offers levels of enjoyment and safety that the street could never mimic, however, not everyone wants or needs that and some people are simply at different points in their life.

As Ipse said earlier, why the **** do people care what other people do with their cars? Never understood why anyone would spend a minute thinking about how other people use their toys. Insecurity maybe? Need to reinforce their decision by stating it out loud? Common forum dick swinging?
Old 05-06-2017, 04:48 PM
Trk8
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Can't we all get along?"
Only until recently, tracks have open up to street cars and more avg joes can Weekend race car drivers.
In the 70s-late 80s it was the street thing and mt. runs. We didn't have the luxury like we have now. The cars where intended as a sport car not race cars/track cars. We would then gut them and modify them without cats. Remember from the dealership the cars are for the steet. Mode them track them= "after market" hence the word
Old 05-06-2017, 05:53 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 62 Posts

"[QUOTE=Pazzo009;14164962]Of course tracks are different. Also, are you saying that you take turns at over 100 mph on public roads? If so, that doesn't seem prudent. In doing so, are your tires over 150 degrees? Are you safely apexing that turn? Is the pavement smooth? What about wildlife?"

I have had my share of time on tracks and probably will track my .2GT3 when it arrives this September but not certain I will. But to answer your questions, most street drivers know the road they want to exercise their car on. There are several venues in each city where a driver will have ample opportunity to try to get to the limit. He/she will know the bumps, turns and possible dangers having driven it several times.

As far as the proper tire temperature, I would guess most GT3 drivers know they need to warm up their tires to get the grip for spirited driving.

Track driving even on the fastest tracks rarely lend itself to all out aggressive driving. There is too much traffic and often inexperienced drivers can pose a greater hazard than wild animals.

The downside to street spirited driving is law enforcement.

The downside to track driving is most owners are self insured not realizing that accidents while at the track are not covered by your automobile insurance (I know there is track insurance but its expensive with limited coverage). With tax my car will cost over $175,000. Why in the hell should I risk tracking it and some idiot loses control, spins out and smash my car? Or worst ye,t someone gets hurt in the track collision and you are sued for personal injury. Are you prepared to defend and possible pay damages out of your pocket?

I have nothing against track driving. But understand this car is designed for street driving and occasional track driving.
Old 05-07-2017, 12:46 AM
VECCA
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

^ well said Nick
Old 05-07-2017, 01:32 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,801 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Preach on brother... That being said, I can understand that some guys will not track their cars for various reasons but as long as they actually DRIVE their cars it's all good.

Quick Reply: 991.2GT3; Track It vs. Street Driving