Sponsored by:

991 GT3 Concerned Owners Group

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 10:44 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,740 Likes on 4,765 Posts

Obviously lots of hard work went into this letter (and various drafts and re-drafts).

Just one bit of advice from someone in the peanut gallery. If this is really going to be sent out, it needs to be form an attorney. Otherwise, this effort while noble will be merely an otiose exercise in letter writing.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:46 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Obviously lots of hard work went into this letter (and various drafts and re-drafts).

Just one bit of advice from someone in the peanut gallery. If this is really going to be sent out, it needs to be form an attorney. Otherwise, this effort while noble will be merely an otiose exercise in letter writing.
Already tried to explain this and fell on deaf ears...
Old 04-30-2017, 10:50 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

We are most likely going to get this reviewed by an attorney this week. We are also working contacts in Atlanta. So it is a process that we are going to follow.

I am optimistic that something can be worked out before then, but we'll see. And yes, it has been a full-time job lol.

All good!
Old 04-30-2017, 11:23 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

^What you are doing is admirable. It takes a lot of time to grab the bulls by the horn and lead. Many talk about but few execute.

Cuddos to you. I am a fan and if I am ever in Colorado I will but you a j..nt/beer
Old 04-30-2017, 11:34 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
^What you are doing is admirable. It takes a lot of time to grab the bulls by the horn and lead. Many talk about but few execute.

Cuddos to you. I am a fan and if I am ever in Colorado I will but you a j..nt/beer
Thanks for that, Jimmy. Don't think for one minute it's just me. A lot of people are offering assistance, from advice, legal help, providing funds, meeting officials in person, etc. Totally a team effort.

But sure, the first bud's on you!
Old 04-30-2017, 11:46 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Guys, is there a way to group message this many people? If not, I will update you guys on this thread for all general stuff.

On a side note, do you guys think this might impact my chances of getting a new GT3 at MSRP? LOL

Regardless the topic here, it ALWAYS comes back to getting a new GT3 at MSRP.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:06 AM
ChicagoM4
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
On a side note, do you guys think this might impact my chances of getting a new GT3 at MSRP? LOL

just file it under a Montana LLC
Old 05-01-2017, 12:19 AM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Guys, is there a way to group message this many people? If not, I will update you guys on this thread for all general stuff.

MSRP? You are on the equivalent of the do not fly list with Porsche. Your only hope is to have your wife buy it under her name
Old 05-01-2017, 03:22 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

This is what was won from the IMS situation...

The Porsche settlement will resolve a 2011 class action lawsuit (Eisen, et al. v. Porsche Cars North America Inc.) that claims the Intermediate Shaft (IMS) in the engine of these vehicles is defective. An IMS failure can cause catastrophic engine failure, which may result in repair bills costing thousands of dollars.

The Porsche IMS class action lawsuit claims that the Porsche vehicles have experienced or may in the future experience IMS related engine damage before or after their original Limited Warranty or Approved Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty has expired, and that certain repairs were required or may be required in the future due to such damage. These repairs can be very expensive. The class action lawsuit was filed to help current and former Porsche owners and lessees obtain reimbursement for out-of-pocket costs spent on repairs caused by the defective IMS.

Porsche denies any wrongdoing but has agreed to provide reimbursements for out-of-pocket repair costs as part of a class action settlement. Porsche will also pay Class Members up to $200 toward documented towing and/or rental car fees related to IMS failure.

The class action settlement will also cover future IMS related engine damage. If your Class Vehicle experiences IMS engine damage after July 17, 2013, you will be eligible to receive a reimbursement for money you spent replacing or repairing the engine up to 10 years after the vehicle was placed in-service or up to 130,000 total miles on the vehicle, whichever comes first. You must promptly notify Porsche by calling 1-800-486-9809 to recover your damages.
IMS and finger followers issue is different

IMS was a design fault because the consequent issues were predictable and catastrophic for the engine

on the finger followers the issue is not predictable
there are cars with 30kmiles of tracking running fine

nevertheless the $1700 warranty extension up to 13 years
should be given by PCNA to the US ownership

and possibly ,in terms of rights, why not also the power to buyers to ask for biz shutdown
for any official porsche dealer asking overMSRP on new cars!

Last edited by fxz; 05-01-2017 at 06:10 AM.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:47 AM
Spacedust
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For E and F engines Porsche has helped and will always help when needed. The G engines show no problems so far. The changes for the actual engine in the 991.2 GT3 and coming GT3 RS were also needed to get more horsepower out of the engine, 500PS for the GT3 and probably 520 to 525 PS for the new and coming GT3 RS. There will be always improvements in technology over the years and everyone wants to have free upgrades, but it should be realistic.

So if have an E or F engine Porsche will probably stay by your side. G Version has no problems so far ... just my 2cents ..
Old 05-01-2017, 06:03 AM
LSs1Power
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I suggets writing a brief summary and to be sent to Digitial media outlets such as CarBuzz, Motortrend, R&T, EVO, 911 Total...etc

This should get things moving quickly with Porsche.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:12 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,750 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I applaud this effort and have added my name to the list.

I think the letter is written well. It could be sent by a lawyer, but I'm not sure that's necessary or even desirable at this point - the aim is convince Porsche that it's in everyone's interest and a fair solution for Porsche to extend the warranty for the engine at little or no cost, not threaten litigation.

Getting in touch with the media could be helpful, but I suggest first waiting to see how Porsche responds to the letter. The very existence of a Global Action Group, with a lot of people participating in it, may put sufficient pressure on Porsche.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:01 AM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Manifold
I think the letter is written well. It could be sent by a lawyer, but I'm not sure that's necessary or even desirable at this point - the aim is convince Porsche that it's in everyone's interest and a fair solution for Porsche to extend the warranty for the engine at little or no cost, not threaten litigation.
Well if you read the letter, the basic tone of it is, Porsche if you don't do what WE want, we'll go try and ruin your reputation (and in the process your GT3 car values--which only hurts GT3 owners--but I digress) and basically throw a tantrum. BUT, if you do what WE say, we'll love the brand and Porsche like no other.

It's silly the way it's written.

It reads like a threat letter, which is worse than a litigation letter (which has some real meat to it). Go re-read it.
Attached Images  
Old 05-01-2017, 09:42 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,750 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Originally Posted by ATXGT3
Well if you read the letter, the basic tone of it is, Porsche if you don't do what WE want, we'll go try and ruin your reputation (and in the process your GT3 car values--which only hurts GT3 owners--but I digress) and basically throw a tantrum. BUT, if you do what WE say, we'll love the brand and Porsche like no other.

It's silly the way it's written.

It reads like a threat letter, which is worse than a litigation letter (which has some real meat to it). Go re-read it.
Are you a lawyer? From my perspective as a business owner, the content, tone, and intent of the letter are appropriate. Porsche needs to be reminded that they need to do the right thing, and that we know they need to, else the consequences for Porsche in terms of publicity won't be good. There needs to be an element of 'threat' which goes to Porsche's bottom line.

Unless an aftermarket engine fix becomes available at reasonable cost (on the order of $10K), I'm not comfortable with the prospect of owning this car after the warranty ends, when there is a known issue that puts the very expensive engine at substantially elevated risk of failing. If Porsche isn't even willing to offer an extended warranty for the engine at modest cost, that would confirm that Porsche views the risk as excessive.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:01 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
Asking PAG to give the same warranty extendibility for a small amount as in EU is something reasonable

asking PAG to say the did an engine design mistake is getting nothing

consider on this engine part like the head that
since petrol engine history IS subject to wearing
there s nothing magic but head rebuild
(just ask any '60 '70 '80 etc. 911 or any car owner)

Any mechanical part under stress(movenent in your case) is subject to wearing
Any manufacter is obliged to cover early wearing before warranty expires

Pretending a free 10 year warranty extension because after 4! years a mechanical part could be hit by wearing is crazy
full stop
There's a reasonable expectation that an engine will wear slowly enough to not be a problem.
Some MA175 engines are failing way before the normal engine lifetime due to two design defects; pressure between follower and camshaft is greater than that which would retain an adequate oil film, and less than adequate oil distribution to those parts.

Last edited by d00d; 05-01-2017 at 11:11 AM. Reason: camshaft, not lifter

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 Concerned Owners Group