Received 1,774 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3Quickshift
Sent my info, thanks
Got it. Thanks!
Old 06-15-2017, 04:49 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Update: Call scheduled tomorrow with PCNA to finalize dates, etc. I will update this thread after I speak with them.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:48 PM
XPRESSO
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sent my info today. Thanks Rob.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:29 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Update: Dates won't be known until sometime next week, due to some people being at Le Mans right now.
Old 06-17-2017, 02:49 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RFGGT3
If I get a misfire code we will get to see it.
I think triggering these codes vary from one car to another. Mine triggered occasional Check Engine error that was not stored in PCM & cleared itself after an engine restart for almost 5K to 6K before it finally Happened. At around 18.5K miles the light stayed on permanently & error was store in PCM and Porsche ordered the inspection and the inspection revealed sever damage. I suspect if they ordered the inspection around 12K miles they would have observed light to medium wear. In my opinion triggering the Check engine error vary from one car to another and I believe it gets triggered after the damage is already pretty sever with perhaps occasional random check engine light showing up every once in a while but it goes away on its own. I have taken the car to Porsche service after every time light came on, and was told nothing was wrong, but they have replaced my coils & plugs on couple of occasions on PCNA recommendations. Just sharing my own experience.
The new G engine I got seems to run fine & very smooth, but it oil pressure is running higher than before and it feels it is putting out slightly less power than the E engine. It could be all in my head since I have not tracked the car since I the recent transplant, but this is how it feels on the street. Hope this helps. Mark
Old 06-19-2017, 09:00 AM
bucklesandrings
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mqandil
I think triggering these codes vary from one car to another. Mine triggered occasional Check Engine error that was not stored in PCM & cleared itself after an engine restart for almost 5K to 6K before it finally Happened. At around 18.5K miles the light stayed on permanently & error was store in PCM and Porsche ordered the inspection and the inspection revealed sever damage. I suspect if they ordered the inspection around 12K miles they would have observed light to medium wear. In my opinion triggering the Check engine error vary from one car to another and I believe it gets triggered after the damage is already pretty sever with perhaps occasional random check engine light showing up every once in a while but it goes away on its own. I have taken the car to Porsche service after every time light came on, and was told nothing was wrong, but they have replaced my coils & plugs on couple of occasions on PCNA recommendations. Just sharing my own experience.
The new G engine I got seems to run fine & very smooth, but it oil pressure is running higher than before and it feels it is putting out slightly less power than the E engine. It could be all in my head since I have not tracked the car since I the recent transplant, but this is how it feels on the street. Hope this helps. Mark
Perhaps the engine needs a few more miles to loosen up?

I cannot believe that Porsche has not gotten to the bottom of the cause of these failures. This DLC coating seems in common use as an anti friction layer (I read about it in use on motorbikes). I am hoping that Porsche will be up front as to what exactly the issue is here. Then the question becomes whether the only fix is doing away with hydraulic lash adjusters as per the series 2. That is the crux of it.....
Old 06-21-2017, 02:19 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tend to think any coating will only extend the problem. Only way to avoid it is to ALWAYS have a sufficient oil seperation.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:26 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 356 Likes on 198 Posts

Porsche has identified the source of the issue, it's why the 991.2 GT3 has a solid lash adjuster design... Keeps a constant separation between the cam lobe and the finger follower to allow an oil film to form, same thing we're doing for the 991.1 with our solid lash adjuster upgrades.
jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports
Old 06-21-2017, 03:44 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,905 Likes on 2,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Porsche has identified the source of the issue, it's why the 991.2 GT3 has a solid lash adjuster design... Keeps a constant separation between the cam lobe and the finger follower to allow an oil film to form, same thing we're doing for the 991.1 with our solid lash adjuster upgrades.
Cost?
Old 06-21-2017, 08:18 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Curious on your testing, results and time frame for production.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:58 AM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

I just stumbled into this. Not complex. Interesting insights....particularly on oil changes.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_tappet
Old 06-22-2017, 03:30 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Manifold
Cost?
Originally Posted by bronson7
Curious on your testing, results and time frame for production.
Don't want to derail Rob's thread, but parts are in production (finally) we made a few changes so that we can install parts and "stock" cams and not have to tune the car at all... Will also offer "tuner" cams that may require an ECU tune. Latest update from the manufacturer is middle to end of July for delivery, then we install and test.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:38 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts

Jamie, hope you are doing well! Just curious. I think I read somewhere that Porsche may be using a softer valve spring in later 9A1s. Do you know if this is the case? Would it make a difference? Do you have any thoughts on why the finger follower is occurring on a broad range of cars based on mileage/use? Some with the issue have been low miles no track, some have been high miles and/or heavily tracked, and some high mile track monsters have had no issue (OrthoJoe). Are there variables other than miles/type of use?
Old 06-22-2017, 04:03 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Lodi
Jamie, hope you are doing well! Just curious. I think I read somewhere that Porsche may be using a softer valve spring in later 9A1s. Do you know if this is the case? Would it make a difference? Do you have any thoughts on why the finger follower is occurring on a broad range of cars based on mileage/use? Some with the issue have been low miles no track, some have been high miles and/or heavily tracked, and some high mile track monsters have had no issue (OrthoJoe). Are there variables other than miles/type of use?
Things are good, hope you're well also! I believe in the G engines they went with a slightly softer valve spring, but this is only controlling the valve's motion and "flutter" meaning that you need a spring of sufficient spring rate to keep the valve from bouncing off of the seat. Now I can't explain how/why one engine survives and another fails, but I can say that the current design has flaws and those flaws are the major driver of the failures. If those flaws are fixed (maintaining adequate space between the cam and finger follower for an oil film to form) ala a solid lash adjuster, then we believe the issue is no longer one to wonder about.

Since we're talking about lack of oil related wear, there are lots of things that could cause the issue, lots of starts and stops with cold oil, beating on the car when the oil is cold, tracking the car at high temps causing low oil viscosity, etc etc. These are all off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more. But the bottom line is, fix the issue at the source (keep oil between the cam lobe and finger follower) and all the other possible use correlations are no longer concerns.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:04 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 99 Posts

What is the reason Porsche just didn't go with solid lash adjusters in the first place back in 2013? Is it more expensive or is there some other drawback?

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 Concerned Owners Group