Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

991 GT3 Concerned Owners Group

 
Old 05-18-2017, 11:42 AM
  #256  
robmypro
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
Thread Starter
 
robmypro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 6,368
Default

Originally Posted by squid42 View Post
How do you know that? Your finger followers might already be worn and you didn't have the right conditions to turn that into a CEL?

Without removing the cylinder head you can't know.

The whole point about this big fuzz is the uncertainty between wear and CEL. We know that you need very high rpms to trigger the CEL, but very little information is available as to whether the wear needs very high rpms or not.
You only need to remove the valve covers to check. Might even be possible to do it without dropping the engine. That is the only way to really know the situation. You may or may not have an issue.
robmypro is offline  
Old 05-18-2017, 02:20 PM
  #257  
RFGGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
RFGGT3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Longboat Key, FL
Posts: 1,028
Default

Originally Posted by squid42 View Post
How do you know that? Your finger followers might already be worn and you didn't have the right conditions to turn that into a CEL?

Without removing the cylinder head you can't know.

The whole point about this big fuzz is the uncertainty between wear and CEL. We know that you need very high rpms to trigger the CEL, but very little information is available as to whether the wear needs very high rpms or not.
FYI, on the track I only drive the car in PDK Sport, so it is shifting at 9K probably 85-90% of the time. I should be triggering a CEL at those RPM's after so many miles.
RFGGT3 is offline  
Old 05-18-2017, 02:25 PM
  #258  
robmypro
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
Thread Starter
 
robmypro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 6,368
Default

Originally Posted by RFGGT3 View Post
FYI, on the track I only drive the car in PDK Sport, so it is shifting at 9K probably 85-90% of the time. I should be triggering a CEL at those RPM's after so many miles.
It would be really interesting to see what your engine looks like after those miles.
robmypro is offline  
Old 05-18-2017, 02:33 PM
  #259  
RFGGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
RFGGT3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Longboat Key, FL
Posts: 1,028
Default

Originally Posted by robmypro View Post
It would be really interesting to see what your engine looks like after those miles.
If I get a misfire code we will get to see it.

Last edited by RFGGT3; 05-18-2017 at 02:35 PM. Reason: clarify
RFGGT3 is offline  
Old 05-20-2017, 08:39 AM
  #260  
Just in time
User
 
Just in time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 1,238
Default

After reading the thread is it correct to say that the wear issue has to do with manufacturing tolerances? In some cars there seems more space for oil to do its work while in others the space is just too tight and that keeps lubrication away. Am I correct?

Now, are the manufacturing tolerances a fabrication issue or a design issue? Did Porsche designed tolerances which are too tight?

My guess is that tolerances were designed within thousands of a millimeter and in some cases they just happen to result in too tight an engine. If the tolerances were too tight for all cars then all motorsshould fail at about the same time. That is not happening.

Not just mental jousting, I guess learning why could help us all.
Just in time is offline  
Old 05-20-2017, 09:20 AM
  #261  
bronson7
Super User
 
bronson7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,843
Default

Originally Posted by Just in time View Post
After reading the thread is it correct to say that the wear issue has to do with manufacturing tolerances? In some cars there seems more space for oil to do its work while in others the space is just too tight and that keeps lubrication away. Am I correct?

Now, are the manufacturing tolerances a fabrication issue or a design issue? Did Porsche designed tolerances which are too tight?

My guess is that tolerances were designed within thousands of a millimeter and in some cases they just happen to result in too tight an engine. If the tolerances were too tight for all cars then all motorsshould fail at about the same time. That is not happening.

Not just mental jousting, I guess learning why could help us all.
This does make some sense. I wonder if Porsche realizes this? I'm sure they do, if it's the case.
bronson7 is offline  
Old 05-20-2017, 10:24 AM
  #262  
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

 
Tom Tweed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: La Jolla, CA
Posts: 723
Default

Originally Posted by Just in time View Post
Now, are the manufacturing tolerances a fabrication issue or a design issue?...If the tolerances were too tight for all cars then all motors should fail at about the same time. That is not happening.
Another possibility on the fabrication side is that there is variance in the quality of the DLC coating, causing excessive wear on some engines and not others. Has this been eliminated as a possible cause of the failures?

TT
Tom Tweed is offline  
Old 05-20-2017, 11:18 AM
  #263  
robmypro
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
Thread Starter
 
robmypro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 6,368
Default

I have spoken with people intimate with the engine design who assure me almost every engine will suffer the same fate. I personally feel the verdict is still out, as too many cars have been tracked and driven hard, and are holding up well.

That is why a meeting with Porsche was requested. We need more information.
robmypro is offline  
Old 05-21-2017, 09:36 AM
  #264  
bronson7
Super User
 
bronson7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,843
Default

Originally Posted by robmypro View Post
I have spoken with people intimate with the engine design who assure me almost every engine will suffer the same fate. I personally feel the verdict is still out, as too many cars have been tracked and driven hard, and are holding up well.

That is why a meeting with Porsche was requested. We need more information.
Any of these intimate people affiliated with Porsche or have very close ties?
bronson7 is offline  
Old 05-21-2017, 12:22 PM
  #265  
robmypro
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
Thread Starter
 
robmypro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 6,368
Default

Originally Posted by bronson7 View Post
Any of these intimate people affiliated with Porsche or have very close ties?
Not affiliated, Bronson, but closer than you or I are.
robmypro is offline  
Old 05-23-2017, 08:29 AM
  #266  
qbix
User
 
qbix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 730
Default

I just solved my problem with 9A1 engine...

Sold the car. Checkmate!

The new one arrives beginning of 2018 so it is going to be a very painful summer.
qbix is offline  
Old 05-23-2017, 11:01 AM
  #267  
robmypro
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
Thread Starter
 
robmypro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 6,368
Default

Originally Posted by qbix View Post
I just solved my problem with 9A1 engine...

Sold the car. Checkmate!

The new one arrives beginning of 2018 so it is going to be a very painful summer.
Enjoy the new car!
robmypro is offline  
Old 05-23-2017, 12:12 PM
  #268  
bronson7
Super User
 
bronson7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,843
Default

Originally Posted by qbix View Post
I just solved my problem with 9A1 engine...

Sold the car. Checkmate!

The new one arrives beginning of 2018 so it is going to be a very painful summer.
That's cheating.
On a serious note, congrats on your allocation.
bronson7 is offline  
Old 05-27-2017, 08:09 PM
  #269  
WernerE
User
 
WernerE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,342
Default

My solution was the same -- sold for approx. 5k under MSRP. LOOKING FORWARD TO THE 991.2 Motorsport Model.
WernerE is offline  
Old 05-28-2017, 08:06 AM
  #270  
bronson7
Super User
 
bronson7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,843
Default

Originally Posted by WernerE View Post
My solution was the same -- sold for approx. 5k under MSRP. LOOKING FORWARD TO THE 991.2 Motorsport Model.
Congrats.
bronson7 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991 GT3 Concerned Owners Group


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: