Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT3 Concerned Owners Group

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 08:56 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Rob, you are changing your avatar daily now---too much mooty exposure?
Old 05-08-2017, 08:57 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
Rob, you are chasing your avatar daily now---too much mooty exposure?
He does wear you down lol.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:49 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Put yesterday's back up.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:03 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by bronson7
Put yesterday's back up.
Your wish...
Old 05-08-2017, 10:14 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by robmypro
Your wish...
Aaaaaah, you're the best, but please don't tell Nick.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:51 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Aaaaaah, you're the best, but please don't tell Nick.
Yeah, because then we'd have a timeshare going lol.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:17 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Yeah, because then we'd have a timeshare going lol.
I'd go for that. I have room in my garage and anytime, and I mean anytime you want to drive it, just come get it.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:07 PM
robmypro
Race Director

I'd go for that. I have room in my garage and anytime, and I mean anytime you want to drive it, just come get it.
I was actually thinking I could store it for you, buddy.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:15 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

I was actually thinking I could store it for you, buddy.
I see we're at crossroads here, so we can make that call once you find us one. I'm not fussy, it doesn't even have to be PTS.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:12 PM
robmypro
Race Director

I see we're at crossroads here, so we can make that call once you find us one. I'm not fussy, it doesn't even have to be PTS.
I have looked everywhere, buddy. Can't find one!
Old 05-11-2017, 01:56 PM
robmypro
Race Director

I wanted to give you guys an update. I have spoken with quite a few people, and had numerous email and PM exchanges. I have also had some very productive and informative discussions with people more knowledge of this engine problem than myself. I figured I would give you some insight into my thinking.

First, I do not think all engines are susceptible to this problem. It really comes down to the tolerances that your specific engine was built with. The problem with the finger followers is that a thin film of oil may or may not have enough room to form. In some cases, such as in OrthoJoe's case, there is most likely enough room between the finger followers and the cams to get sufficient oiling. This is just a guess, but that would explain why some people have engine problems after little usage, and others don't after heavy usage.

And this brings me to the next point. How do you know if your engine is wearing like Joe's or not? There is really only one way to find out. You need to drop your engine and have a look. Only then will you know what is really going on.

Let's say you have a qualified shop drop your engine, and pop the valve covers. At this point you see that you have pretty minimal/almost no wear. My recommendation would be one of two options:

1. Run Mobil 1 5w-50 (or A40 approved) , do frequent oil changes (say after 3,000 miles) and don't think about this again.
2. Run race headers without cats, and use an oil high in Zinc/Phosphorus. Something from AMSOil or Motul.

As far as number 2 is concerned, high zinc/phosphorus oils are not good for cats, but they are good for engines otherwise. Better oil can mitigate this, especially if you already have minimal/no wear.

If you pop those covers and see a little wear, I would take lots of pictures and then push Porsche for a top end fix right now, before the CEL comes on. Waiting until the CEL will most likely have already caused a lot of internal damage. Not guaranteed, but likely IMO.

If you pop the covers and see significant wear, you need to push like crazy for a new engine. That metal went somewhere. New heads/finger followers/cams aren't going to fix that, and that damage might not expose itself until after your warranty expires. Getting Porsche to replace your engine now is critical.

One last point. If I do get a new G engine at some point (or new top end), the first thing I am going to do is put race headers on, and run high zinc/phosphorus oil. That, combined with the new head design and DLC cams, should make the car reliable for many, many years.

In summary, you have NO IDEA what is going on under those valve covers. You may be thinking about this topic a lot, and there might be zero wear going on. The only way you are going to know for sure is to have a qualified shop drop your engine and take a look. Then, and only then will you have the knowledge you need to plan your next steps. It could also help you with resale, to document no issues, or just for peace of mind. You could be worrying over nothing, or you could be damaging your engine right now.

One final comment on Dundon. There is also a good chance that Jamie and Charles will come up with a great fix at some point. Someone else might as well. But my strategy is not about waiting for anything to happen. I want to know what is happening now, and then act accordingly. I am not a fan of waiting around for anything.

Personally, I am going to take my car in and have the engine dropped within the next month or so. I will post pictures, and I plan on sharing this information with Porsche, if and when our meeting is held. If enough of us do this, the data we do discover may help motivate Porsche for a fix, or demonstrate that the problem is really not as bad as advertised.

Rob
Old 05-11-2017, 02:07 PM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

WTF is this now?
Old 05-11-2017, 02:46 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,782 Likes on 2,190 Posts

Originally Posted by qbix
WTF is this now?
Perhaps you could be more specific and precise in phrasing your question ...
Old 05-11-2017, 02:54 PM
Ark
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the late response. Here in the Netherlands we can buy an extended warrenty for max 15 years, with no kilometer maximum.
The costs are euro 2.900 for 2 years.
This warrenty is transferable if you sell your car to a private person of to a Porsche dealer.
Please see (sorry it is in dutch): http://www.porsche.com/netherlands/n...oved/warranty/
Old 05-11-2017, 03:01 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Ark
Sorry for the late response. Here in the Netherlands we can buy an extended warrenty for max 15 years, with no kilometer maximum.
The costs are euro 2.900 for 2 years.
This warrenty is transferable if you sell your car to a private person of to a Porsche dealer.
Please see (sorry it is in dutch): http://www.porsche.com/netherlands/n...oved/warranty/
That is awesome times 100. :-)

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 Concerned Owners Group