Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT3 Concerned Owners Group

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 09:04 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 180 Posts

R and RS G/G1 revision engines with DLC also applied to the camshaft still have mechanically high pressure interface with the followers, could be that all reach 186K miles engine life without fail, or not.
I doubt this effort has any negative effect on resale, anyone with even a passing interest in the GT3 already knows about both the rod bolt and valve train failures.
If this effort succeeds it could only be a positive.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:04 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,781 Likes on 2,189 Posts

v3 of the shorter letter lacks punch. I understand the rationale behind shortening it, but too much impactful content seems to have been removed. If I was Porsche reading that letter, I'd say "what's the problem? If there are some issues, we will take care of them under warranty. And what's the evidence that the problem is widespread anyway?"

I think the letter needs to clearly and strongly express the worry about owning the car after the warranty expires and then having a major and costly engine failure with less than 100K miles on the car, due to a design defect.

I agree with the focus right now being on having a meeting and hearing Porsche's thoughts, rather than demanding a specific warranty extension or repair at this time.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:24 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
v3 of the shorter letter lacks punch. I understand the rationale behind shortening it, but too much impactful content seems to have been removed. If I was Porsche reading that letter, I'd say "what's the problem? If there are some issues, we will take care of them under warranty. And what's the evidence that the problem is widespread anyway?"

I think the letter needs to clearly and strongly express the worry about owning the car after the warranty expires and then having a major and costly engine failure with less than 100K miles on the car, due to a design defect.

I agree with the focus right now being on having a meeting and hearing Porsche's thoughts, rather than demanding a specific warranty extension or repair at this time.
I hear your concerns. I debated going this route after comments from members, and it took me a while to see the light. To be completely fair to Porsche, I think we need to give them a chance to hear our concerns first, then give them a chance to address them. All our the points you mention will be raised during that meeting.

We are talking about a lot of customers. It is not a stretch to say we could have 500 members by the end of May, maybe much sooner. It's a number they can't, and wouldn't ignore.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:55 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Significant revisions to the OP. More aligned with the current direction. Also, now a sticky.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:07 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 62 Posts

Rob, how do you think Porsche will respond? When they finally agreed to meet with our group it did so only after a herculean effort by Sierra Mike. It was not something they readily agreed to.

As I have posted before, our group had considerable leverage because of the agreed to engine replacements by Porsche. Your group has nothing but maybe's or could happen.

if I had to guess as to what Porsche's response it would be one of two approaches. First, ignore the letter but I doubt they would do that. Second and most likely, indicate the cars are covered by warranty for the stated period and if there is a mechanical issue during that period, the warranty claim will be investigated and if appropriate repairs made. More than likely they will ignore your speculative after warranty failure assertions. They will not get trapped into addressing a problem which as far as they are concerned does not exist.

Set your expectations accordingly. That said, I wish you all the best of luck.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:41 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
We are proposing a free, 120k mile warranty to cover this specific issue only. There would be no date limit. It would be based on mileage of the vehicle only.
Does anyone know (offhand) roughly what the percentage is of non-tracked to tracked GT3 that have experienced this issue?
Old 05-02-2017, 02:50 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Nick
Rob, how do you think Porsche will respond? When they finally agreed to meet with our group it did so only after a herculean effort by Sierra Mike. It was not something they readily agreed to.

As I have posted before, our group had considerable leverage because of the agreed to engine replacements by Porsche. Your group has nothing but maybe's or could happen.

if I had to guess as to what Porsche's response it would be one of two approaches. First, ignore the letter but I doubt they would do that. Second and most likely, indicate the cars are covered by warranty for the stated period and if there is a mechanical issue during that period, the warranty claim will be investigated and if appropriate repairs made. More than likely they will ignore your speculative after warranty failure assertions. They will not get trapped into addressing a problem which as far as they are concerned does not exist.

Set your expectations accordingly. That said, I wish you all the best of luck.
Hey Nick,

Yeah, I doubt Porsche ignores our letter. I think hundreds of GT owners will get their attention, but who knows? I think the plan is just to get the letter out and see where it goes. We are asking them for a meeting to address our concerns.

I think it is an excellent opportunity for Porsche to provide more clarity. Ultimately our concerns are either valid (there is a problem), or they are not (there is a perception problem). This is not a hostile meeting, and I look forward to having a positive dialog with them. You know I am a big Porsche fan.

This is more about customer outreach at this point. I am not going to think of all the possible ways this becomes a dead end, because then you never start, right?

Let's see.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:40 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Update: v4 of the letter has been updated.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:33 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great work Rob. I support you.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:46 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by bronson7
Great work Rob. I support you.
Thanks Bronson. Team effort! And the sheer number of people responding to this underscores its importance. Just got our first member from Bangkok, Thailand today.

Another country!
Old 05-04-2017, 03:13 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 108 Posts

Curious - was the letter sent?
Old 05-04-2017, 09:39 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by mass27
Curious - was the letter sent?
They go out in the morning!
Old 05-05-2017, 03:24 AM
ChicagoWhale
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm curious... if you think there is something wrong with your GT3, why not just take it to a Porsche dealership and have their service department look at it? It's covered under warranty, right?

Also, how many warranty claims have been approved for this exact defect? Is that information available? If I read your letter correctly, you're claiming excessive wear on a numerous non-tracked GT3's with under 5k miles... is that right?
Old 05-05-2017, 09:31 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,781 Likes on 2,189 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoWhale
I'm curious... if you think there is something wrong with your GT3, why not just take it to a Porsche dealership and have their service department look at it? It's covered under warranty, right?
Can't just have the dealer open up the engine out of concern about a problem which isn't evident on a particular car. There's cost involved, and also warranty implications if the engine internals are tampered with.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:32 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by ChicagoWhale
Also, how many warranty claims have been approved for this exact defect? Is that information available? If I read your letter correctly, you're claiming excessive wear on a numerous non-tracked GT3's with under 5k miles... is that right?
Very little information available. That is actually one of our main goals. By speaking with Porsche about this issue we might be able to get more information, and possibly shed more light on the situation.

We have examples of cars with very minimal usage experiencing this problem. Hence...the Concerned Owners Group.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 Concerned Owners Group