Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

991 GT3 Concerned Owners Group

 
Old 05-01-2017, 05:01 PM
  #151  
robmypro
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
Thread Starter
 
robmypro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 6,362
Default

Originally Posted by NateOZ View Post
Ive not read the letter but the first question that needs to be asked is if you want this back in the media now that the fire problem is really yesterday's news. There is a very high probability PAG does nothing and this whole thing causes more harm than good, especially for market values.
Hi Nate,

Ultimately this issue will be back in the media the moment Porsche denies the first claim, out-of-warranty. And if that isn't their intention, getting clarity would be good for everyone. There are no plans to send this to anyone in the media, but we can only control so much.
robmypro is offline  
Old 05-01-2017, 05:05 PM
  #152  
Waxer
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Waxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central New Jersey
Posts: 4,034
Default

Originally Posted by robmypro View Post
As most of you know by now, there a problems with the design of the 991.1 GT3 engine. These problems lead to unusually high top-end wear. These problems are present in all 991.1 GT3, 991.1 GT3 RS and 911 R engines. Porsche has never acknowledged this problem publicly, and this uncertainty has left many owners wondering if this car should be kept out-of-warranty. There are also valid concerns that Porsche might believe they can just ignore this problem. Therefore, an Global Action Group (GAG) was formed.

The purpose of the 991.1 GT3/RS/R Global Action Group is to prompt Porsche for formally resolve this issue in a way that is satisfactory to current and future owners of 991.1 GT3, GT3 RS and 911 R vehicles. A formal letter has been drafted, and will be sent to Oliver Blume, Andreas Preuninger, and Klaus Zellmer. To be added to the Global Action Group, please PM me your first name, last initial and city, state, country. You must be a current or previous owner of a 991.1 GT3/RS/R.

So what is an satisfactory resolution, and how can we balance our interests with the interests of Porsche? The solution to this problem is for Porsche to provide a free 120k mile warranty to cover this specific problem. This would be a special warranty, and would include all 991.1 GT3/RS/R current and future owners worldwide.

For more information please see the attached PDF. This is a draft.

The purpose of this thread is to:

1. Provide awareness to RL members and GT3/RS/R owners
2. Provide an opportunity for all members to give feedback and ultimately determine the direction the Action Group takes.

Current and future 991.1 GT3/RS/R owners need and appreciate your help. Please join the group.

A draft of the letter is attached. The goal is to send this letter to Porsche officials by Wednesday, May 3, 2017. FYI, we are not going to forward individual names to Porsche, but rather meta data related to the number of members, countries involved, etc. This will ensure people remain anonymous. We will get your consent in advance before disclosing any personal information to Porsche. We take this obligation seriously.

Note: The email for the Action Group is [email protected]. You may contact us there, by using the PM system, or via the forums on RL.

To learn more, see the attached PDF.
Rob: One correction. There is no evidence that the problem exists with the .1 RS or R 4.0. To date no valve train failures have been reported with the .1 4.0 despite many .RS's seeing heaving track use. Likely the cure was found with lighter valve springs, cam shape, increased oiling, reduced pressure and very importantly reduced rpms. What the future brings no one knows but so far so good.

Anyway, I will be glad to help my fellow Rennlisters in whatever way I can.. legally if viable or otherwise. PAG unofficial position is there is no issue with the 3.8 .1GT3. Then if they are right an extended warranty on valve train won't cost them a dime. Good public relations and PR and happy customers. Win win. Right?

Waxer is offline  
Old 05-01-2017, 05:12 PM
  #153  
Mark in Baltimore
Moderator
Rennlist Member
 
Mark in Baltimore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 21,118
Default

Civil feedback regarding this matter is fine; persistent trolling and/or vendettas are not allowed; in other words, say what you have to say in a polite manner and then move on.

If there are issues, please click on the red and white "Report Post" triangle so that all of the mods can be alerted.
Mark in Baltimore is offline  
Old 05-01-2017, 05:15 PM
  #154  
robmypro
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
Thread Starter
 
robmypro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 6,362
Default

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore View Post
Civil feedback regarding this matter is fine; persistent trolling and/or vendettas are not allowed; in other words, say what you have to say in a polite manner and then move on.

If there are issues, please click on the red and white "Report Post" triangle so that all of the mods can be alerted.
Thanks Mark!
robmypro is offline  
Old 05-01-2017, 07:24 PM
  #155  
Nick
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: La Jolla
Posts: 3,444
Default

I know most of you are for the letter thinking what do I have to lose by joining. But you're risking something. Your cars' value.

Why in the world are you devaluing your cars? Assuming the 500 are legit owners, you all have put a dagger into the heart of your resale values. More than likely few if any would experience catastrophic failure yet you all painted that threat on the side of your cars.

The first global group regarding engine failure was assembled AFTER Porsche acknowledged the engine problem. Here no one knows whether there is a problem yet all the signatories are indicating their car has a problem. Good luck on resale.

Sierra Mike gave you good advice. Individually express your concerns either to your dealer or regional service rep. Or just sell the car.
Nick is offline  
Old 05-01-2017, 07:52 PM
  #156  
alpine-al
User
 
alpine-al's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: MA
Posts: 635
Default

The names of the individuals will be not be included in the letter. If they're painting a threat on the side of their cars, it is in invisible ink.

.
alpine-al is online now  
Old 05-01-2017, 07:53 PM
  #157  
Manifold
Super User
 
Manifold's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Close enough to plenty of good tracks
Posts: 4,226
Default

Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I know most of you are for the letter thinking what do I have to lose by joining. But you're risking something. Your cars' value.

Why in the world are you devaluing your cars? Assuming the 500 are legit owners, you all have put a dagger into the heart of your resale values. More than likely few if any would experience catastrophic failure yet you all painted that threat on the side of your cars.

The first global group regarding engine failure was assembled AFTER Porsche acknowledged the engine problem. Here no one knows whether there is a problem yet all the signatories are indicating their car has a problem. Good luck on resale.

Sierra Mike gave you good advice. Individually express your concerns either to your dealer or regional service rep. Or just sell the car.
This raises the thought that perhaps it may make sense to wait on sending the letter until we are closer to warranties ending. There would be more data at that point to judge the failure rate. It seems that most of us still have 2+ years of warranty at this point? By the time warranties are actually running out, aftermarket solutions may be available at reasonable cost, or Porsche may voluntarily step up and do something to address the issue. Until then, maybe let sleeping dogs lie?
Manifold is offline  
Old 05-01-2017, 08:05 PM
  #158  
Nick
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: La Jolla
Posts: 3,444
Default

Originally Posted by alpine-al View Post
The names of the individuals will be not be included in the letter. If they're painting a threat on the side of their cars, it is in invisible ink.

.
Look my guess is Porsche isn't going to do anything now. Your letter will be rejected. The group then will have to force the issue and publicize the group and why they are taking the action. Your car value is kaput. Anyone in the market will have to think twice before buying it unless Porsche steps up (and they wouldn't). The buyer doesn't need a name but it would be easy to find out who was on the list. Or the buyer can ask the seller and the seller will either have to lie or acknowledge possible issues with the car. Either way it will be lose lose.
Nick is offline  
Old 05-01-2017, 08:42 PM
  #159  
alpine-al
User
 
alpine-al's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: MA
Posts: 635
Default

Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Look my guess is Porsche isn't going to do anything now. Your letter will be rejected. The group then will have to force the issue and publicize the group and why they are taking the action. Your car value is kaput. Anyone in the market will have to think twice before buying it unless Porsche steps up (and they wouldn't). The buyer doesn't need a name but it would be easy to find out who was on the list. Or the buyer can ask the seller and the seller will either have to lie or acknowledge possible issues with the car. Either way it will be lose lose.
The act of joining the group doesn't affect the future value of one's car. All owners of 991.1 GT3s will be in the same boat whether they decide to join or not. I plan to keep my GT3 for at least another 8 years. But, if I were to sell it and a potential buyer asked if there are potential issues with the top-end, telling him that I never joined the group won't make a difference.
alpine-al is online now  
Old 05-01-2017, 08:50 PM
  #160  
Jimmy-D
Super User
 
Jimmy-D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 9,153
Default

After much thought; for what it is worth, I think Nick has some good points. I think a letter is still a good idea but why not tailor it looking for help and clarification over the 991 GT3 engine issues. Ask them for some reassurances because there is so much concern. Enough concern that over 300 Owners need to sleep better at night with this model in their garages. I would leave the RS/R and the media out of it at this time and would not send any info to them(media) about this. I think if you hear from Porsche that they are going to stand behind their Product and their consumers even after warranty that is all you need to learn. The letter, drafted above, would be one when some start getting denied help from Porsche. I did not see the angle that you all could hurt your own values on this car and a very good point

Keep this Between 991 GT3 Owners and Porsche until you hit a wall. No demands ect- just some reassurances
Jimmy-D is offline  
Old 05-01-2017, 08:59 PM
  #161  
Sierra Mike
User
 
Sierra Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: UK/Chicago
Posts: 157
Default

Originally Posted by Manifold View Post
This raises the thought that perhaps it may make sense to wait on sending the letter until we are closer to warranties ending. There would be more data at that point to judge the failure rate. It seems that most of us still have 2+ years of warranty at this point? By the time warranties are actually running out, aftermarket solutions may be available at reasonable cost, or Porsche may voluntarily step up and do something to address the issue. Until then, maybe let sleeping dogs lie?
To the best of my knowledge, any issues have been resolved satisfactorily so, unless there have been engine failures that Porsche has failed to address, I really don't see the point of this. The warranties are still intact so, given the sensitivity of the situation in the past, I believe that Porsche will resolve issues on a case by case basis if they arise. It seems to me this is trying to preemptively solve a problem that has not arisen. I'm sorry if I'm missing something but I just don't see the point unless there's an issue.
Sierra Mike is offline  
Old 05-01-2017, 09:34 PM
  #162  
Waxer
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Waxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central New Jersey
Posts: 4,034
Default

Nick does have a good point. That's why the group should have it's duck's in a row if it intends/wants to take it "further". Unless PAG knows and believes there is a credible risk of "legal" action which it does not want either for many reasons there is a good chance they will politely respond with a non commital response.
Waxer is offline  
Old 05-01-2017, 09:59 PM
  #163  
Archimedes
Super User
 
Archimedes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 8,516
Default

While I applaud the OP's initiative and effort, my guess is that the letter goes over like a lead balloon at Porsche.

And I agree with Nick. Good analogy would be the impact of the BMW subframe issue on the M cars. Even if you car didn't have it, it still affected resale.
Archimedes is offline  
Old 05-01-2017, 10:00 PM
  #164  
robmypro
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
Thread Starter
 
robmypro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 6,362
Default

Okay guys, here is the latest. I have had quite a few discussions with people on this, either through email, PM's or over the phone. I have revised the letter to incorporate a lot of comments. Here are the highlights:

1. New Name - 991.1 GT3/RS Concerned Owners Group

This was suggested by a member, and I think it sets the tone better for a more meaningful dialog. We are also dropping the 911 R from the discussion. The feeling is if those guys have an engine issue, however remote that chance is, they wont be needing an extended warranty.

2. Shortened the Letter

A few people commented that it was too long. It is now 1.5 pages.

3. Change In Strategy

This is a big one. The entire goal of this letter is to get a meeting so we can express our concerns, and get some answers. This feeling was expressed enough times and finally I saw the light. Here's why. A huge problem with this issue today is uncertainty. Being able to meet with Porsche and express our concerns, and then let them tell us why we should not be concerned can go a long way. This is a process. Instead of going to step 2 or 3 (which the first letter probably was), let's give Porsche a chance to ease our concerns.

So....new letter attached to OP.

Last edited by robmypro; 05-01-2017 at 10:21 PM.
robmypro is offline  
Old 05-01-2017, 10:06 PM
  #165  
Jimmy-D
Super User
 
Jimmy-D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 9,153
Default

Agree with COTA1

Drop the RS and I do like this draft.

The RS guys will be covered by however the 991 GT3 guys get taken care of so why Bull rush them with so much. Stay focused on the current issue
Jimmy-D is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991 GT3 Concerned Owners Group


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: