Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

.2 GT3 worth upgrading from .1 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 07:49 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts
Default .2 GT3 worth upgrading from .1 GT3?

Are we allowing ourselves to get all worked up over very little?

Manual transmission aside, for the majority of potential .2 GT3 buyers who are current .1 GT3 owners and who will either, by choice or by virtue of only being offered it from among limited allocations, get a PDK .2 GT3, is the .2 GT3 really worth the high cost of upgrading? That is, taking the substantial depreciation hit selling or trading their .1 GT3 this year?

I've been thinking about it today, and have concluded no, it's not worth it to upgrade from a PDK .1 to PDK .2 GT3....

The performance difference will surely be small, especially for those of us who can't even come close to driving our cars near their limits (something I learned well from sitting shotgun in my own car last week at Smokies GT while a Porsche driver trainer ran a few hot laps driving my car.)

The styling differences aren't huge, and I've heard as many say they prefer the .1 looks better as the .2.

The only material change to the interior is new PCM with CarPlay and availability of Bose, which are not a big a deal.

Then there is the new engine design, which supposedly puts behind us the potential future issues with the hydraulic valve train in .1 GT3's. But even that seems overblown. I learned only last week (from Dundon) how the engine fires that caused the stop sale on the 2014s was a separate issue from the valve train wear realted to the hydraulic lifters and that that earlier issue was fully resolved with the engine replacements that happened already. The long term durability of the E, F, and G engines is in question, sure, but probably won't affect but a small minority of owners. And for those who it does, while our cars are still under warranty or CPO, it'll be covered. Even a top end rebuild would paid for out of pocket would be less costly than the depreciation hit, right?

this really seems to come down to bragging rights / riding the wave / or speculative flipping.

Long story short, I've decided to hit pause on the obsession with getting the newest fastest right now, enjoy the car I have which is great already, and only order a new .2 GT3 when I can get it the way I want it, with a manual and hopefully PTS, even if it takes 2 years or more.

now if you've got a dealer who will give you MSRP on trade on your .1 GT3 and sell you a .2 at MSRP also, then more power to you, but I'm not thinking anyone is lucky enough to be in that position. I've only heard of an RS owner being given that kind of deal right now
Old 04-27-2017, 07:55 PM
Brindle101
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapis
Are we allowing ourselves to get all worked over very little?

Manual transmission aside, for the majority of potential .2 GT3 buyers who are current .1 GT3 owners and who will either, by choice or by virtue of only being offered it from among limited allocations, get a PDK .2 GT3, is the .2 GT3 really worth the high cost of upgrading? That is, taking the substantial depreciation hit selling or trading their .1 GT3 this year?

I've been thinking about it today, and have concluded no, it's not worth it to upgrade from a PDK .1 to PDK .2 GT3....

The performance difference will surely be small, especially for those of us who can't even come close to driving our cars near their limits (something I learned well from sitting shotgun in my own car last week at Smokies GT while a Porsche driver trainer ran a few hot laps driving my car.)

The styling differences aren't huge, and I've heard as many say they prefer the .1 looks better as the .2.

The only material change to the interior is new PCM with CarPlay and availability of Bose, which are not a big a deal.

Then there is the new engine design, which supposedly puts behind us the potential future issues with the hydraulic valve train in .1 GT3's. But even that seems overblown. I learned only last week (from Dundon) how the engine fires that caused the stop sale on the 2014s was a separate issue from the valve train wear realted to the hydraulic lifters and that that earlier issue was fully resolved with the engine replacements that happened already. The long term durability of the E, F, and G engines is in question, sure, but probably won't affect but a small minority of owners. And for those who it does, while our cars are still under warranty or CPO, it'll be covered. Even a top end rebuild would paid for out of pocket would be less costly than the depreciation hit, right?

this really seems to come down to bragging rights / riding the wave / or speculative flipping.

Long story short, I've decided to hit pause on the obsession with getting the newest fastest right now, enjoy the car I have which is great already, and only order a new .2 GT3 when I can get it the way I want it, with a manual and hopefully PTS, even if it takes 2 years or more.
Everything you said is 100% true. It's all hype. There is an old saying among salesmen, "Don't sell the steak, sell the sizzle!" Totally applies to .1 vs .2!!
Old 04-27-2017, 07:58 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Mid-cycle refreshes are not generally supposed to tempt first generation buyers; they are to keep the product fresh for those that have not yet purchased the model. Relax...there is no pressure to 'upgrade' except on these forums.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:12 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I owned a .1GT3 I would skip .2GT3 and wait for .2GT3RS...it will be a much better car.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:19 PM
philipatl
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ATXGT3
If I owned a .1GT3 I would skip .2GT3 and wait for .2GT3RS...it will be a much better car.
Bingo...
Old 04-27-2017, 08:32 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

basically sound thinking on this expressed so far

my interest in the .2 is only to have that chassis and engine connected to a manual gearset i can row all on my own
Old 04-27-2017, 08:37 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't want manual don't care about "upgrade". Incremental change not revolutionary as mentioned earlier.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:42 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Certainly an individual choice. But...

Noted upgrades
New car
Fresh warranty
Potentially opportunity to spec to taste/update spec to taste
Avoid top end issue (who knows, could be new issues with this one)

Assuming it's not for the MT, if you can get out and back in for a decent $ and have the $, then why not?
Old 04-27-2017, 08:43 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

I can see the argument either way. Ultimately, your money. Your call. No right or wrong answer.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:46 PM
SteveFrench
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

B-B-B-BUT motorsportz engine?!!! ...Nah for real tho, most peeps just want it to flex to their neighbor Ted who has a 2014 gt3.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:47 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So this brings to mind the question of, who will the buyers be of the .2 if the majority are not the .1 owners?
Old 04-27-2017, 08:49 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by ATXGT3
Same here. I wouldn't be upgrading to a .2 GT3 if I had a .1 either. If I'm looking to buy one, I'd want a .2, but if I already had a .1, I wouldn't even be thinking about trading up.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:49 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
So this brings to mind the question of, who will the buyers be of the .2 if the majority are not the .1 owners?
People who really wanted MT and skipped the .1, or sold their .1 a while back in preparation for the .2. Well, and Shmee.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:03 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,080 Likes on 619 Posts

I'm skipping (already got the call and declined). If I could justify both . . . But I can't.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:12 PM
RyanSD
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 143 Posts

In the same boat. Dont really see the upgrade since I rarely push my .1 to the limits. Its scary when you get there but rewarding.

.2 will be in my garage when the hype is over and I can order/find the exact way I want it.

Im not sure If im alone but I really do believe both the .1 and .2 look very good in their own sense

Quick Reply: .2 GT3 worth upgrading from .1 GT3?