Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Targa Tasmania 2017 - GT3 RS v's Viper

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 06:43 AM
Gastrogt3
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Tomorrow is looking like it shouldn't be wet. Should be a great climax, and you're right about finishing – for these guys, running on the ragged edge for 6 days, completing the Targa at all is a minor miracle. And spare a thought for all those terrified eucalypts, hoping not to be collected at >250kmh by an errant driver. They have a little less give than a tyre barrier on the other side of a gravel trap at the track. ***** of steel...

Interesting what you say about the tyres, not sure if the Vipers were running those last year, but check out video of the Rossardon stage in 2016 (
), where the GT3 was all over the Viper like a rash, in the twisties, in the dry.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:52 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote from Jason from the targa tas site:

“We’ve been worrying about our tyre wear all week, but our tyres are okay, so we can pretty much push hard to the finish if we need to.”
Unless this is gamesmanship, seems he is pretty comfortable with the tyres.

All the cars are about 500 meters from me as I type this, it's great to see them in the flesh.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:14 AM
Snakebit10
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the ACR's have been managing the tires from the jump. Seems they get pretty beat up in the dry from what I am gathering. If it stays dry the GT3 RS has a chance since the ACR will be tire managing while RS will be in full hunter mode. If it stays wet then I don't know if the RS has enough to catch the snake. Great battle and strategy being played out due to the changing conditions.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:00 PM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

I believe you have nailed it snakebit10 there is a lot of tire strategy being played currently either brand has a good chance for the outright win its going to come down to the weather and the stage conditions ,,,this is a great contest this year and I am glad so many are interested in the event ...
Old 04-29-2017, 01:42 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Job done - yet another great Targa

GT2
(1) Viper Jason and John
(2) Viper
(3) GT3RS Matt and Cameron
(4) Exige
(5) GT3

Also spare a thought for Steve (Glenney) and Mike in the WRX STI - I think they took out every stage bar 1 today, unfortunately a problem on day 1 did for their campaign. Such is the drama of great events such as TT.

Thoughts on tires - on track I generally think of .1g as (nominal difference in lateral g between RS and ACR on stock tires in standardised fig 8) giving an advantage of around 1s per dry lap minute. Targa is ~ 500km @ 120kmh ~ 250minutes ~ 50% dry ~ 125 seconds..........

Looking forward to more video clips - well done Matt and Cameron and congratulations to Jason and John
Old 04-29-2017, 03:13 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

Not the result I was hoping for but none the less I think the Vipers have well deserve the win ,,,their strategy and consistent pace paid off and the competition between the front runners has been very entertaining to follow over the stages ...congratulations to the winners and all those who competed in this years event.. Well done
Old 04-29-2017, 05:15 AM
skippyBKR
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Just finished - couldn't do much more on the last day. Unfortunately, - too much wet weather stages. We need the Viper to stress it's tyres out a bit more in the dry.
We only used 4 tyres and they used 2mm of tread. Next year!
In fairness - the Viper guys drove hard and fast.
But man - what a bloody epic car this RS is!
Movies to come!
Old 04-29-2017, 05:49 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

well I think you can safely say its beer o'clock! The footage from Rossarden was spectacular, peak speeds tremendous (270kmh) - well driven!

Last edited by randr; 04-29-2017 at 07:44 AM.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:43 AM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by skippyBKR
Just finished - couldn't do much more on the last day. Unfortunately, - too much wet weather stages. We need the Viper to stress it's tyres out a bit more in the dry.
Movies to come!
Thanks for keeping us updated, and congratulations. I like the fact that you recognized the Viper guys. Very nice.

Best of luck next year.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:18 AM
Jono809
Instructor

Originally Posted by skippyBKR
Movies to come!
Well done! Keen to see your videos!!

What differences did you find between the GT3 and RS?
Old 05-01-2017, 08:16 AM
Snakebit10
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats to you guys on a hard fought battle. Great to see every one stayed safe and made it to the end shiny side up. Cant wait for next years contest.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:33 AM
skippyBKR
Instructor

Originally Posted by randr
well I think you can safely say its beer o'clock! The footage from Rossarden was spectacular, peak speeds tremendous (270kmh) - well driven!
That was actually last years Rossarden stage in our red GT3.

Here is our footage for the same stage this year in the GT3 RS - which we won again with a time over 10 seconds faster.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:12 PM
Gastrogt3
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, scary-brilliant again. What a sound that car makes! Some Akra video to start the clip?

Don't tell me they resurfaced the beginning of the stage with loose gravel again??!! And what's happened to the slow-down section – you seemed to be below 60 for an age?
Old 05-05-2017, 06:52 PM
skippyBKR
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gastrogt3
Wow, scary-brilliant again. What a sound that car makes! Some Akra video to start the clip?
No - that's our car! I just used that instead of typing subtitles recognising sponsors.

Don't tell me they resurfaced the beginning of the stage with loose gravel again??!! And what's happened to the slow-down section – you seemed to be below 60 for an age?
Yup - more gravel, but not quite as bad as 2016. Keeps you on your toes!
Re virtual speed zone - last year you only had to brake down to 60km/hr and go again. This year they tried another method of knocking the average speed down - you had to be in the designated 300 metre section for a minimum of 15 seconds, hence our slowdown.
(And we still smashed last years time - RS high speed stability)
Old 05-05-2017, 07:21 PM
Raven 666
Drifting

Awesome video and ***** of steel driving especially the later parts down hill tight winding single lane ,,,,I was on the edge of my seat just watching ,,,how good does the engine sound " HOWLING" ............. WELL DONE

Quick Reply: Targa Tasmania 2017 - GT3 RS v's Viper