Sponsored by:

Reality Check: GT3 Market Experience

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 10:19 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by W. MITTY
Just fyi, smart money on these cars right now for ULTRA low miles and pristine condition is about $20K-22k under MSRP, unless its a 2014. That's a huge hit for driving the car 2000 miles. Like I said, THAT'S depreciation...
Is this really a huge hit? At the end of Feb I traded in my '15 GT3 with an MSRP of $160k for $140k. I enjoyed it for 2 1/2 years and racked up 10k miles. That's 12.5% depreciation, or 5% per year! Considering the average new car depreciates at 15 to 20% per year for the first couple of years, I think this is stellar. I honestly thought I would get closer to $130k. For what its worth it sold the day I traded it in. I'm now enjoying my new RS (MSRP) and hopefully I'll do as well when this one goes.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:50 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

^ I agree - just normal depreciation. The fun factor > depreciation

Did people actually think they were going to drive these for free?? Based on a lot of posts I have read it appears that ithis what most are banking on. A free car for 2 years- not real life
Old 04-18-2017, 10:57 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Sloopy
Last September I got an offer from my local dealer (CA) for 135K My car had an MSRP of 170 and had 17K miles at the time. New condition.

Decided to keep long term so now 23K miles and loving it. F'm...........
i think this is the attitude we will have to take.
Drive it like you stole it.
transform into track only car maybe?
the point is to enjoy it everyday and not wring your hands over how much they have depreciated in the last 6 months
Old 04-18-2017, 11:13 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by john weires
Rob, you have a healthy attitude about your car, mileage and depreciation. Had I been getting the use out of my GT3 that I originally thought I would, I would still have it.

Unless one wants a manual transmission or has to have the latest and greatest I just don't see that much advantage to the 991.2 GT3 either.
My guess is that Porsche will take care of the documented and well known top end engine problems on the 991.1. If an owner is nervous about repair costs, for the cost of trading to the .2 one could just buy more extended warranty.

However it does seem there is a backlog of GT3's and RS's for sale right now all priced at a premium like where the market was a year ago. If we do not see movement soon in the next month or two with the arrival of nice weather through the country I expect to see significant price drops, perhaps 10%.

As a data point I sold my 14 GT3 to a Porsche dealership for within $2500 of my top estimate (based on following Rennlist classifieds etc) for what it would bring had I sold it directly and reasonably quickly to a private owner. The dealership already had one used GT3 in stock but did not seem uncomfortable buying mine.

I would happily buy another 991.1 GT3 used if my circumstances changed.
I loved the car and did not have a single problem with it.
Hey John, thanks. I try to remember that this is a car i bought to drive and enjoy, and not obsess over resale about. But in your case you made the right decision. No need having a car like that collecting dust! Sounds like you did well on yours, too.

There are quite a few GT cars for sale right now, but dealers know that the new .2 GT3 won't be available at even MSRP anytime soon, and the new .2 RS is probably going to be in a completely different price range, when it arrives. The .1 GT cars, available and at a reasonable price might appear to be the logical choice for a lot of people. Really hard to say. If the economy crashes all bets are off!

Essentially the same top end exist on the .1 GT3, RS and 911R. If and when something does need fixing, Porsche will do the right thing. Until then I just drive mine, and enjoy it.

Awesome car!
Old 04-18-2017, 11:17 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D

Did people actually think they were going to drive these for free?? Based on a lot of posts I have read it appears that ithis what most are banking on. A free car for 2 years- not real life
Spend an hour on the 930 forum and you start thinking this is the next Amazon stock. It's just a car. A great one. But still just a car.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:35 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by wisky

4/14/17 $139,500 4,523 - - 6G/A - - Regular Northeast myCentralAuction
3/31/17 $142,000 8,041 4.8 6G/A White Regular West Coast Nevada
3/16/17 $143,000 6,719 4.1 6G/A White Regular Northeast Pennsylvania
3/9/17 $138,000 8,614 4.5 6G/A Blue Regular West Coast Riverside
3/9/17 $138,000 8,013 4.4 6G/A White Regular West Coast Riverside
2/23/17 $110,000* 14,708 3.8 6G/A Black Lease West Coast Riverside

Thanks! Manheim numbers are the only ones that count for a dealer. Ultimately this is the price they pay or the price they get if they wholesale the car.

Interesting that there is good movement on the cars, I think last year there were few going to auction.

Also, some of these or maybe all are being bought by 'dealers' but are really going direct to customers via a broker. That could change and then there is a new low. Right now it looks like 130 to 135 is a good number for wholesale depending on options and colors for a '15.

Archemedies- if you don't have one and aren't buying one, your opinion on price is pretty meaningless, but what do I know. I'm selling mine to the dealer tomorrow in the range of price above. If you want to get it wholesale PM me before I leave at 7:00 AM tomorrow.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:24 AM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Spend an hour on the 930 forum and you start thinking this is the next Amazon stock. It's just a car. A great one. But still just a car.
Agree! It's like the current stock market. It's a great car no doubt about it, but common... One of my buddies got a 87' 930 with 50k miles for 38k only 4 yrs ago.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:45 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Yes, many have bought into that ....
Old 04-19-2017, 12:45 AM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am surprised by all of this doom and gloom regarding resale for the 991 GT3. The auction prices show that they are holding their value very well. I was at a Porsche dealer today and they had a low mileage 2015 gt3 that they were asking MSRP (it just arrived). I sold my 3 yr old jag XKR-S with 20k miles for $67k and it was $133k new - ouch! Check out the asking prices for 2016 MB AMG GT S- new avg price was around $140k and they are dropping below $110k. I think the 991 gt3 will continue to hold its value well
Old 04-19-2017, 02:23 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by OCturbo
I am surprised by all of this doom and gloom regarding resale for the 991 GT3. The auction prices show that they are holding their value very well. I was at a Porsche dealer today and they had a low mileage 2015 gt3 that they were asking MSRP (it just arrived). I sold my 3 yr old jag XKR-S with 20k miles for $67k and it was $133k new - ouch! Check out the asking prices for 2016 MB AMG GT S- new avg price was around $140k and they are dropping below $110k. I think the 991 gt3 will continue to hold its value well
I hear you. People seem to forget that the prices of these cars will also be set, and a floor established, by what else you can buy. Look at 997 GT3's for example. If the 991.1 GT3 is going to $50k, are the 997's going to $30k? And what about GT4's? Are those going to plunge as well, because the 991.1 GT3 is more desirable? And sorry, they are. And, when the new GT3 comes in around $200k don't you think those prices are going to support 991.1 prices? Of course they will. Also, availability of the .2 GT3 and RS will be so limited for so long, people will just grab the .1's with CPO warranty, and hopefully take them tracking. A GT3 at $200k street price is going to be the kiss of death as far as tracking them goes. This forum will turn into the 930 forum, which is just sad. It is half way there now.

Bottom line, the prices of other cars are going to set the high side, and the low side range for these .1 cars. It doesn't matter what arbitrary depreciation rate we want to predict. The market is way more dynamic than that.

Either way, i am just driving mine until the wheels fall off. Then i will just buy more wheels.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:47 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Here is a classic example of doom and gloom. The infamous IMS bearing failure in the 996's. We've probably all heard about it. A poll done on this site shows 90% of owners have had no issues. That was based on 900 responses. Yet whenever the 996's are talked about...IMS failure!

Heck, over 80% of people here have had no issues with the top end. Yet, like the IMS bearing issue, people just assume it is only a matter of time before it happens. Just drive the damn things.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:29 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

I hear you. People seem to forget that the prices of these cars will also be set, and a floor established, by what else you can buy. Look at 997 GT3's for example. If the 991.1 GT3 is going to $50k, are the 997's going to $30k? And what about GT4's? Are those going to plunge as well, because the 991.1 GT3 is more desirable? And sorry, they are. And, when the new GT3 comes in around $200k don't you think those prices are going to support 991.1 prices? Of course they will. Also, availability of the .2 GT3 and RS will be so limited for so long, people will just grab the .1's with CPO warranty, and hopefully take them tracking. A GT3 at $200k street price is going to be the kiss of death as far as tracking them goes. This forum will turn into the 930 forum, which is just sad. It is half way there now.

Bottom line, the prices of other cars are going to set the high side, and the low side range for these .1 cars. It doesn't matter what arbitrary depreciation rate we want to predict. The market is way more dynamic than that.

Either way, i am just driving mine until the wheels fall off. Then i will just buy more wheels.
Porsche GT cars have been known to be slow to depreciate.

991gt3 looks like it will follow the same path.
The 997gt3 will overtake 991gt3 values due to less cars made.
If not mistaken there is more 991gt3 sold in USA than total production of 997.1gt3 WW.

We just have to enjoy these amazing cars that still depreciates way slower than any other car in this segment.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:52 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

I do not know if I necessarily agree with you. You are setting the 99.1 GT3 at the top and then extrapolating that if that drops considerably so will the GT4s and 997 GT3s. The 991 GT3 is PDK, only, and there is a group that just does not value the 991.1 GT3 the way you do. And - Right or wrong- I would not buy a used 991.1 GT3. I just, at this point would not touch it. Out of warranty it could just end of being a headache/disaster( also, maybe not though if Porsche continues to agree they '''''ed -up and will have to for many years service these engines. I get the argument that only a small pool of these cars have had to have their second engine replace or first/rebuilt. But there is, in my opinion, some thing fundamentally flawed with this engine. History will not bode well for the 991.1 GT3.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:27 AM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 97 Posts

I know of 3 sales in the last week. One was a '16, one an RS, the other a '15. All went for over MSRP and all sold in less than a week. Some people clearly will and have taken a hard line at what they will pay but remember new buyers are coming into the market every day. And everybody will not get a .2 until mid-late '18 and there is nothing clear yet on the .2RS.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:07 AM
robmypro
Race Director

I do not know if I necessarily agree with you. You are setting the 99.1 GT3 at the top and then extrapolating that if that drops considerably so will the GT4s and 997 GT3s. The 991 GT3 is PDK, only, and there is a group that just does not value the 991.1 GT3 the way you do. And - Right or wrong- I would not buy a used 991.1 GT3. I just, at this point would not touch it. Out of warranty it could just end of being a headache/disaster( also, maybe not though if Porsche continues to agree they '''''ed -up and will have to for many years service these engines. I get the argument that only a small pool of these cars have had to have their second engine replace or first/rebuilt. But there is, in my opinion, some thing fundamentally flawed with this engine. History will not bode well for the 991.1 GT3.
But that's you, Jimmy. Most people won't know or care about the top end issue. It isn't like this engine is throwing rods. History on RL might not bode well, but that just isn't reality.

I almost bought a 997 GT3 after visiting the dealer, and all I cared about was the car was awesome, the price relative to other options, and it had CPO. Who do you think is going to run home and read 145 pages on RL looking for troubles? Very, very few.

Guy walks into porsche Dealer. Salesman shows him a new Carrera 4S for $140k. Another one is $145k. He looks over and sees a low mileage brand new looking GT3 with full CPO for $150k. Which car do you think he wants? These cars are going to be sold predominantly by dealers. The rest of the model line supports them. You might plan on avoiding the .1 GT3 but that is a minority view. Most will hear warranty and not give it a second thought. These aren't collector cars!

And in fairness, I have had an awesome ownership experience. Car is a world-beater. No issues. I still love looking at this car, let alone driving it. Let me tell you about my wife's 550i. Already we've had the auto trunk not open/close, and get this. You close the driver door and hear clunk. The lock engages before the door close, so you need to try three times to close your door! Even she says there's nothing like Porsche.

But go to any forum about any car, and you will find negativity. Bad things happen, and those bad things get shouted at us. The 996 IMS is a classic example. I just refuse to buy into the negativity. If my engine does ever have this top end problem, Porsche owns it. They know it. We know it. Some people might consider it an extended warranty for free. lol

And yet, my GT3 is working perfectly, after tracking it, taking it to the drags, and logging 15,000 miles. Pretty much a perfect ownership experience. And if one day i need to put some money into the engine, so what? It isn't like i was expecting this insane engine to last forever. Visit any other generation of 911 on this site. Rebuilding 911 engines is nothing new. When that time comes I am looking forward to 3rd party options to increase power, and durability. Still way cheaper than buying another one.

Great car. Tons of fun. Been a perfect experience. And i didn't buy it to worry about resale. I bought it to keep, and use. If these things do drop in price, why is that bad? Maybe more people will drive them, and use them as intended. Again, it doesn't affect me one way or another.

I just drive the thing. And i strongly recommend it.

Quick Reply: Reality Check: GT3 Market Experience