Sponsored by:

Reality Check: GT3 Market Experience

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 01:31 AM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Received 261 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanSD
I hope you Enjoy it. What year is your GT3?
Thank you. I know I will although I already understand that its just too much car for the road. I plan on tracking quarterly or so if and when my schedule allows. 2015.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:36 AM
RyanSD
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Jarhead32
Thank you. I know I will although I already understand that its just too much car for the road. I plan on tracking quarterly or so if and when my schedule allows. 2015.

I feel the same way. I like my GTS for everyday.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:17 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Contacted 2 local dealers regarding allocations shortly after gt3 was announced. First one openly stated there was no way I would be able to get an allocation because the list which is first come first serve was ridiculously long. Second dealer said they didnt have a list but would compile one based on allocations received with priority being given to previous customers. Since I bought a 991.1S online from another dealership, I would likely be on the bottom of the list which I thought was unfortunate but fair.

Fastforward to earlier this week. I dropped my car in for 40,000 mile service at the second dealership where I do all my servicing and I see a stunning 991.1 gt3. Certified with 6500 miles and almost exactly how I would have configured. White, pdk (obviosuly), 4 way seats (dont like all the superfluous adjustments of my Carrera's 14 ways and actually like the simplicity of these), and front axle lift (im going to try to daily drive this beast for as long as I can). Paid original sticker price/MSRP and drove home today. Couldn't be happier.
That is awesome. Congrats!
Old 04-26-2017, 02:59 AM
chaosoul
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Contacted 2 local dealers regarding allocations shortly after gt3 was announced. First one openly stated there was no way I would be able to get an allocation because the list which is first come first serve was ridiculously long. Second dealer said they didnt have a list but would compile one based on allocations received with priority being given to previous customers. Since I bought a 991.1S online from another dealership, I would likely be on the bottom of the list which I thought was unfortunate but fair.

Fastforward to earlier this week. I dropped my car in for 40,000 mile service at the second dealership where I do all my servicing and I see a stunning 991.1 gt3. Certified with 6500 miles and almost exactly how I would have configured. White, pdk (obviosuly), 4 way seats (dont like all the superfluous adjustments of my Carrera's 14 ways and actually like the simplicity of these), and front axle lift (im going to try to daily drive this beast for as long as I can). Paid original sticker price/MSRP and drove home today. Couldn't be happier.

Congrats! And Welcome!
Old 04-26-2017, 08:06 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats. You live in Now and not the future. Good call. Enjoy her.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:51 AM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 104 Posts

Great thread. Lots of good arguments. I'm in the camp of people who want a GT3. I may consider a .1. The .2 is too expensive for me especially with the guaranteed price shenanigans. (I'm no vip)

I have a GT4 now that I love. I got screwed on the price (markup) because I got too excited about the car and had to have it. I'll never make that mistake again. Even with that Im still happy I did it. I don't expect to get my money back on that car when I do eventually sell it. No worries there.

Anyone my only single reservation with the car is if Porsche will support the engine after warranty (good will). There are known flaws so I believe it's only fair to the consumer. If I knew Porsche would fix the specific known issue after warranty then I'm a buyer. (that is of course if I like it as much as I suspect when I finally get behind the wheel). I had an old mini R56 out of warranty that was good willed due to the known chain tensioner issue. Does anyone know if Porsche typically does that for known non-recall problems?

At the end of the day though with prices I think if you have enough money to buy a 150k car new you should be able to afford a 20-30k haircut in value. It is a car and Porsche is a business so it's going to keep churning them out. (I know I bought into the hype for the GT4 but I learned)

At some point the total addressable market at a given price point must erode once there are enough GT3s available right? Put another way: Are there really enough GT3 customers nationally in the USA to justify 140-150k for a used sports car? People in that price point must have enough to get a .2 anyway. I for one am one of the people that could get a .2 if I could find one at msrp but I have a mental block going above 130.

Haha! Well fun thread anyway. Long story short enjoy life because it doesn't last that long. Drive the snot out of the car and feel good. That's what it was built for.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:56 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad you got your new toy, congrats. I'm sure by now you're loving it. Don't be shy, keep us updated on your experience.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:52 AM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Originally Posted by bronson7
Glad you got your new toy, congrats. I'm sure by now you're loving it. Don't be shy, keep us updated on your experience.
So I went up to 9,000 today. I was trying to hold back until I got my radar installed but couldn't any longer. I have owned a manual e92 m3 and a pdk 991.1 Carrera S. I can honestly say I thought I had driven fast and special cars before but they are nothing compared to a gt3. I feel like I have never even driven a proper driver's car until now. I don't miss the manual anymore and I am yearning to go to the track even though I am not skilled enough to take full advantage of the machinery. I guess that is why we buy these cars, right?

With all the talk about the new 4L engine in the 991.2 gt3, I can't imagine it getting any better than this but I guess Porsche has found a way. I don't know what I will do if I get a call for an allocation next year.

I still have mixed feelings about daily driving. Part of me misses the serenity, seclusion, and quiet cabin of the Carrera S. I have a stressful and crazy job so I did quite enjoy those moments sometimes. I could have my music on, would not feel anything on the road, could drink my coffee in the mornings, and it was almost like I was in a luxury GT. Even though I have heard many people say the 991.1 GT3 is a much more practical and comfortable daily driver than previous generations, it is no Carrera which I now appreciate more for different reasons. But another part of me can't stop thinking about the next time I can get behind the wheel of the GT3. I understand now why you don't need a stereo or cup holder or fancy seats or parking sensors or full leather or just about anything in a driver's car. It's all about your connection with the road, the engine blaring after you rev over 5000, feeling every crevice and undulation of the pavement through the steering wheel and seat, and the resultant driving nirvana of an experience. All in all I feel blessed I have got the chance to have had this experience.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:55 AM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Originally Posted by bronson7

So I went up to 9,000 today. I was trying to hold back until I got my radar installed but couldn't any longer. I have owned a manual e92 m3 and a pdk 991.1 Carrera S. I can honestly say I thought I had driven fast and special cars before but they are nothing compared to a gt3. I feel like I have never even driven a proper driver's car until now. I don't miss the manual anymore and I am yearning to go to the track even though I am not skilled enough to take full advantage of the machinery. I guess that is why we buy these cars, right?

With all the talk about the new 4L engine in the 991.2 gt3, I can't imagine it getting any better than this but I guess Porsche has found a way. I don't know what I will do if I get a call for an allocation next year.

I still have mixed feelings about daily driving. Part of me misses the serenity, seclusion, and quiet cabin of the Carrera S. I have a stressful and crazy job so I did quite enjoy those moments sometimes. I could have my music on, would not feel anything on the road, could drink my coffee in the mornings, and it was almost like I was in a luxury GT. Even though I have heard many people say the 991.1 GT3 is a much more practical and comfortable daily driver than previous generations, it is no Carrera which I now appreciate more for different reasons. But another part of me can't stop thinking about the next time I can get behind the wheel of the GT3. I understand now why you don't need a stereo or cup holder or fancy seats or parking sensors or full leather or just about anything in a driver's car. It's all about your connection with the road, the engine blaring after you rev over 5000, feeling every crevice and undulation of the pavement through the steering wheel and seat, and the resultant driving nirvana of an experience. All in all I feel blessed I have got the chance to have had this experience.

Quick Reply: Reality Check: GT3 Market Experience