Sponsored by:

OT: Sony FDR-X3000 - No Hammer Required

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 12:24 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
I bought this adapter so the camera could work with my gopro mounts.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia...?skuId=5116500

I haven't forgot about the pics!
thanks Rob
Old 04-20-2017, 03:48 AM
greenhorn
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 12 Posts

My understanding of the manual and the experience so far is that the camera draws external power when recording but is not charging up. So if you plug it in at 25% battery while recording it will stay that way and not charge to 100% over time.
The plug icon on the display only indicates external power, not charging.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:15 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by greenhorn
My understanding of the manual and the experience so far is that the camera draws external power when recording but is not charging up. So if you plug it in at 25% battery while recording it will stay that way and not charge to 100% over time.
The plug icon on the display only indicates external power, not charging.
Okay, gotcha. That actually isn't a problem for me. But thanks for the clarification.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:47 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 133 Posts

Rob, Best Buy just lowered the price $50. Could get a refund for their price guarantee ?
Old 04-24-2017, 03:50 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by n2cars
Rob, Best Buy just lowered the price $50. Could get a refund for their price guarantee ?
Thanks!
Old 04-24-2017, 04:00 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Just to show a good example of what goes wrong with GoPro's...

This was posted this weekend by CAlexio...

nice work with the track video. I want to cry in frustration at my own idiocy.. first time using gopro and it was set to "intermittent photography" mode while lapping in the 918. So.. i just checked my files and i have 10,000+ photographs.. but no video. I was really looking forward to it as there were some really really fun laps in that car, and the speed differential with other vehicles is pretty astonishing as a driver.. so would have made for some sick footage. Will be posting up some street driving footage later.. but nothing beats good lap video. oh well.

This was only "user error" because the GoPro's are designed horribly. This never happens with the Sony because they designed it properly. You have a power button, and a record button on top. No way to actually select the wrong mode, as CAlexio did.

BTW, I took the Sony out yesterday and zero issues.

Sony!
Old 04-24-2017, 04:03 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 129 Posts

^My first go pro purchase was many many years ago when they first arrived into the scene.. I was using it for other purposes but the end result was similar to yours.. buck shot > Go Pro
Old 04-24-2017, 06:30 PM
J9277655
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 104 Posts

Hey @Robmypro.... what's with the vendetta against gopro? We get it, you didnt like your camera. You sold it / killed ut and bought a sony and are way happier. That's Cool!

Outside of Nick Woodman changing modes for you though, going from a timelapse to a photo to a video couldn't be easier. It's one button. You click it, and an icon takes-over the entire screen telling you what mode you're in. You bought the $129 GP HERO which didnt include a screen and we're now talking about a $350 Sony.

There's poor design, and there's user error. Appreciate everyone has an opinion or a favorite product, but think if you're aiming to let all of RL know you hate gopro - 2 threads later and mission accomplished. GoPro's arent ONLY for taking videos at the track, they actually do quite a few things really well!

Rant over.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:43 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by J9277655
Hey @Robmypro.... what's with the vendetta against gopro? We get it, you didnt like your camera. You sold it / killed ut and bought a sony and are way happier. That's Cool!

Outside of Nick Woodman changing modes for you though, going from a timelapse to a photo to a video couldn't be easier. It's one button. You click it, and an icon takes-over the entire screen telling you what mode you're in. You bought the $129 GP HERO which didnt include a screen and we're now talking about a $350 Sony.

There's poor design, and there's user error. Appreciate everyone has an opinion or a favorite product, but think if you're aiming to let all of RL know you hate gopro - 2 threads later and mission accomplished. GoPro's arent ONLY for taking videos at the track, they actually do quite a few things really well!

Rant over.

I will admit i may have an unhealthy hatred for those GoPro devices. You got me there.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:53 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
My little VBox HD camera. Comes with Wife connection
Just have remember to disconnect it before visiting the mistress then!
Old 04-24-2017, 09:44 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,726 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by J9277655
GoPro's arent ONLY for taking videos at the track, they actually do quite a few things really well!
Like all those cool GoPro marketing videos.......

Old 04-24-2017, 11:24 PM
changster123
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 43 Posts

Which action camera is best to take video in low light to almost no light? i.e when you're out at 2am racing against another car on the highway.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:55 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I always have thought GoPro is crap.
Won one once. Gave it away.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:36 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I always have thought GoPro is crap.
Won one once. Gave it away.
It was a bummer when they closed an engineering office in Austin. The GOPro Hardware group is known for shunning industrial and UX designers, which is why their cameras have terrible usability.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:33 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Just a quick update. I have used this Sony 5 or so times, so I have a little more feedback. First, zero issues. No strange lockups, SD card errors, etc. BTW, I have used a few different SD cards without issue. My GoPro seems very sensitive to certain SD cards.

The image stabilization is awesome. Note, this is not a digital stabilization where cropping occurs. Sony uses their Balanced Optical SteadyShot, which literally is a floating lens. How they were able to miniaturize that I have no idea, but it is awesome. Battery life is decent, and video quality is excellent. Wind reduction is also nice. I tested it and it makes shooting outside the car doable now.

Any negatives? None so far. Super high quality. It has the features needed to adjust for any situation. And...it just works. Shmee uses the same cameras now, and I ordered the Joby mount that he uses.

BTW, on the last cruise I took my GoPro 4 out and used it as a second camera. I have the GoPro remote, so I tested everything before we left. I hit the record on the remote while driving through some nice roads. The record light was on. I wanted to get footage out the rear. After 15 minutes I notice the red record light is off on the camera. I ask my wife to check the remote. She says...."it says....S..D..E..R...." at which point I told her nevermind. When i got home, no footage. Well, except the 2 hours I recorded with the Sony.

Should I put this thing on eBay? I don't know if it just hates me, or if there is something wrong with it.

Quick Reply: OT: Sony FDR-X3000 - No Hammer Required