Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maintenance packages for GT3 (991.2 in this case)

Old 12-04-2017, 03:50 PM
shamoo
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Maintenance packages for GT3 (991.2 in this case)

I recently signed the paperwork for a delivery on a white 991.2 GT3 this coming Saturday. During the buying process their finance person was going over with me all the "maintenance packages" that are available. Normally I don't bother with any of this for my prior cars (Hondas/BMWs). I do a lot of work on my own cars and can pretty much do everything (provided I have time and the motivation).

However in the Porsche world, things can get more expensive in a hurry. I'm not too familiar with the maintenance of the PDK system and other things. I've noticed oil changes and spark plug changes seem to be more frequent. The dealer mentioned a $2-3K fluid flush/oil change/PDK maintenance after a couple of years.

One year is included for free, but afterwards they have packages ranging from $3-5K for 3-4 years. Do you think it is worth it to spring for the Porsche maintenance "experience"? I know there are a lot of 3rd party places around me who work on high end cars for cheaper than the dealer. What does everyone here do?
Old 12-04-2017, 04:03 PM
Chris88
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 125 Posts

I suggest you get the costs of the maintenance if you pay for at each service, then compare to a pre-paid plan. I did this on my '16 Audi S6, and the costs were cut by 2/3 if I pre-paid. It also lowered my lease payments a bit, as they figure (I guess) that you'll keep it better maintained.

Please let us know what you find out., as I may purchase this on my Touring, which arrives in about a month.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:04 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by shamoo
I recently signed the paperwork for a delivery on a white 991.2 GT3 this coming Saturday. During the buying process their finance person was going over with me all the "maintenance packages" that are available. Normally I don't bother with any of this for my prior cars (Hondas/BMWs). I do a lot of work on my own cars and can pretty much do everything (provided I have time and the motivation).

However in the Porsche world, things can get more expensive in a hurry. I'm not too familiar with the maintenance of the PDK system and other things. I've noticed oil changes and spark plug changes seem to be more frequent. The dealer mentioned a $2-3K fluid flush/oil change/PDK maintenance after a couple of years.

One year is included for free, but afterwards they have packages ranging from $3-5K for 3-4 years. Do you think it is worth it to spring for the Porsche maintenance "experience"? I know there are a lot of 3rd party places around me who work on high end cars for cheaper than the dealer. What does everyone here do?
I'd check the manual on the PDK service. For the .1 GT3, there is a clutch oil change at 48k mi or 6 years and a trans oil change at 96k mi or 12 years. A 4 yr "package" would not include any PDK service unless your mileage is 12k a year. Or the maintenance spec has changed.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:33 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

Remember - the 'finance' person is just another sales person. They act like your buddy and seem to be looking out for you, but make no mistake - their job is sales. Part of their job is to sell you a loan. Their job is also to sell all the extras - window tint, clear bra, tire & wheel insurance, Lo-Jack, pre-paid maintenance, etc. At least they no longer try to peddle 'undercoating'! LOL

Most of what they sell can be obtained elsewhere for less. Only you can decide what you may need.

One of the local non-Porsche dealers has started putting window tint on every vehicle on the floor. They then add the charge to the car. I just ordered a car from them and they put it on my ordered car without asking. Guess what I didn't pay for!!
Old 12-04-2017, 07:42 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
Remember - the 'finance' person is just another sales person. They act like your buddy and seem to be looking out for you, but make no mistake - their job is sales. Part of their job is to sell you a loan. Their job is also to sell all the extras - window tint, clear bra, tire & wheel insurance, Lo-Jack, pre-paid maintenance, etc. At least they no longer try to peddle 'undercoating'! LOL

Most of what they sell can be obtained elsewhere for less. Only you can decide what you may need.

One of the local non-Porsche dealers has started putting window tint on every vehicle on the floor. They then add the charge to the car. I just ordered a car from them and they put it on my ordered car without asking. Guess what I didn't pay for!!
+1 A lot depends on how long you will keep the car. Oil changes are 15,000 or one year. They cost around $350-400. I am not aware of changing the PDK-S fluid after two years.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:24 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

You need to reach how much and often you need service. Compare what it would cost vs prepay. These cars don't need much in the first few years unless you are tracking.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:32 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

^ +1
Old 12-04-2017, 08:37 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,382 Likes on 719 Posts

OP - Funny you proposed this question because I even had them pitch me on PPF. In the past,it was just the wheel and tire pitch now they pitch you a bunch of things. I pass on it all all - although the wheel and tire insurance can be enticing depending on where you live. I think I spend no more than $1000 after 2 years on maintenance.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:59 AM
BlackOptic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 222 Posts

On this topic.

I am purchasing my 911 out of state. (No allocation locally.) First question is whether to pre-pay the maintenance (which I have done with my Audi’s and it has been worth it), and I see the replies above - it seems there isn’t the savings vs. pay-as-you-go that we see on Audi’s.

The second question is whether I can ‘add’ a maintenance plan through my local dealer? Either in a couple of weeks when the car gets here, or at the end of it’s first year of free service... This dealer, of course, is saying the maintenance can only be purchased at point of sale. (But, I’d like to give my local dealer some business.)

(btw, I assume the free service can be provided by a dealer I did not buy the car from...I guess that is question number 3.)

Last edited by BlackOptic; 02-25-2018 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:26 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

Well said and sage advice.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:28 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

If you plan on doing most of the work yourself, you can save a lot of money. The maintenance on this car is very easy to do. Oil changes are about $100 with filter. The dealer charges $250 to $350. The 20k service cost me $700, including the dealer doing some inspections and flushing brake fluid. I was quoted $2k by the dealer. Porsche doesn’t just make great cars. They also make cars that are great to work on. I do all oil changes, spark plugs, air filters and cabin filters. I leave the balance to the dealer to have a record in the system so there are no warranty problems. I am not that handy, either. Doing work on the car is part of the enjoyment of ownership, imo. Check out Matt Moreman (obsessed garage) on YouTube. Lots of videos showing this on a .1. Shoukd be very similar.

So no, i would not bother with a maintenance plan.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:56 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 951 Likes on 424 Posts

I'm pretty sure the first years maintenance is covered on 2018 MYs anyway, so you would be paying for something now that isn't due for 2 years!
Old 02-25-2018, 11:04 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,382 Likes on 719 Posts

I looked at the Maintenance package and it did not make Financial sense to me. The first 2 years I probably pay for (2 - 3) oil changes and that's it.

I bought a used BMW 550 with 30,000 from a BMW Dealer 2 months ago and the 2 year Maintenance package starting at purchase date was $1500. The car will need new rotors and pads within that period so that more than pays for itself and throw in a couple of oil changes ect and it was a no-brainer.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:21 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

Like most insurance, it depends on your exposure - which is driven by how many miles you plan to drive. I've done this calculation in the past for cars I've purchased, same generally applies to Porsche. For a 4-6 year maintenance plan with a 100K mileage limit

0K - 5K / year - doesn't make sense
5K - 12K / year - probably doesn't make sense
12K - 15K / year - probably makes sense
15K+ / year - generally makes sense.

cheers!
Old 02-25-2018, 11:31 AM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Most GT owners don't put the miles on to make these plans cost effective. If you are going to drive the car and have no plans for self maintenance then it may be worth it. Shop around from dealer to dealer to get the best price. Ask for the finance manager at each dealership, he's the guy you want to speak with.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Maintenance packages for GT3 (991.2 in this case)