Porsche Exclusive Calipers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 11:54 PM
BLUdog
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapis
Not true.
You're correct. I misread the post I was replying to.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:09 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by sportscentury
I'm sure it can be done through Porsche exclusive. There are many things that can be done through Porsche exclusive that we never see. Why? Partly it's because people are not aware of the possibilities. Another reason is that once you learn the cost of almost everything through Porsche exclusive, you lose interest. For example, I inquired once about having the rear badge painted. Porsche exclusive said sure, but price was well over $5000.
No, this is incorrect. And even the PTS 911R referenced in a post above had aftermarket painted brakes, not factory.. Porsche will not paint calipers for any price through CXX. The only people who occasionally get painted calipers are Porsche family members, and one known 918 for a dealer in Canada. (That was disputed also, many saying he had them painted aftermarket). Porsche will not touch calipers for any price.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:41 AM
chaosoul
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
No, this is incorrect. And even the PTS 911R referenced in a post above had aftermarket painted brakes, not factory.. Porsche will not paint calipers for any price through CXX. The only people who occasionally get painted calipers are Porsche family members, and one known 918 for a dealer in Canada. (That was disputed also, many saying he had them painted aftermarket). Porsche will not touch calipers for any price.

Yup its true, I've requested many times.

They will paint standard caliper colors most of the time though. Like if you want to paint your guards red caliper in titanium silver.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:40 AM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

True, and very annoying.

If they are not going to allow color choice, then at least they should give the option of black, IMO.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:32 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chaosoul

They will paint standard caliper colors most of the time though. Like if you want to paint your guards red caliper in titanium silver.
So you are saying that I can get standard iron cast brakes in standard yellow colour that the PCCBs come? Any cost estimate?
Old 04-17-2017, 04:02 AM
chaosoul
Pro

Originally Posted by qbix
So you are saying that I can get standard iron cast brakes in standard yellow colour that the PCCBs come? Any cost estimate?

PCCBs calipers are painted in speed yellow.

You'll have to try. Haven't seen that attempt yet, so I can't give you a definite answer.

Seen Acid green to silver. Acid Green to black. Acid green to red. Guards Red to silver. Guards Red to black. Speed yellow to silver.

But as people have mentioned earlier, its case by case, sometimes they will say yes sometimes no (yes even on the same car requesting same color). You're more likely to get a no for an answer for non standard colors, like if you want your calipers sapphire blue, mahogany, or PTS colors.

Last edited by chaosoul; 04-19-2017 at 11:25 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:59 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok, thanks a lot. I will give it a try when the build lock date is due.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:18 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 180 Posts

PCCBs calipers are painted in signal yellow.

You'll have to try. Haven't seen that attempt yet, so I can't give you a definite answer.

Seen Acid green to silver. Acid Green to black. Acid green to red. Guards Red to silver. Guards Red to black. Signal yellow to silver.

But as people have mentioned earlier, its case by case, sometimes they will say yes sometimes no (yes even on the same car requesting same color). You're more likely to get a no for an answer for non standard colors, like if you want your calipers sapphire blue, mahogany, or PTS colors.
Would you give references to examples of the Porsche factory changing the color of calipers on request?
Old 04-19-2017, 12:53 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Curious if the factory process is DONE at the factory... or performed at the supplier source, ie Brembo etc? Paint on a caliper HAS to be 'done right'.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:28 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

That may be but I've been told multiple times on these boards that X is impossible, only to later talk to someone in Porsche Exclusive and find out that it is indeed possible...for an exorbitant price. So if I've found this personally to be the case, I can't even imagine what would be done for a special customer like a 918 owner.

I guess I'm lost (wouldn't be the first time). How are you in agreement with Alex (first sentence) and then seemingly also in agreement with me (second sentence)?

Seen Acid green to silver. Acid Green to black. Acid green to red. Guards Red to silver. Guards Red to black. Signal yellow to silver.

Again, maybe I'm missing something, but this seems to go against what CAlexio stated. You guys likely both know far more than I, so I'll step out.

Maybe Ed/z356 will chime in with his observations here.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:03 PM
chaosoul
Pro

Originally Posted by d00d
Would you give references to examples of the Porsche factory changing the color of calipers on request?
Originally Posted by sportscentury
That may be but I've been told multiple times on these boards that X is impossible, only to later talk to someone in Porsche Exclusive and find out that it is indeed possible...for an exorbitant price. So if I've found this personally to be the case, I can't even imagine what would be done for a special customer like a 918 owner.

I guess I'm lost (wouldn't be the first time). How are you in agreement with Alex (first sentence) and then seemingly also in agreement with me (second sentence)?

Again, maybe I'm missing something, but this seems to go against what CAlexio stated. You guys likely both know far more than I, so I'll step out.

Maybe Ed/z356 will chime in with his observations here.

Haha sorry perhaps it was misunderstood what specifically I am agreeing to.

What I'm saying is that its been done before but only in special circumstances (as CAlexio mentioned for VIP, VVIPs, etc) if they are not of the standard color change.

Also I might be overly optimistic on my wording since I'm surrounded and in association with mostly VIP & VVIPs. Also, please keep in mind that all these requests are occasionally approved and reviewed by different people and the same requests for other things (like wheel pin stripe, deviating PTS colors) a lot of them I have seen a yes and no for a completely identical requests. Porsche change their mind all the time when it comes to the more custom and 1-off examples.

To make it simple, lets just say if you want some special color on your caliper paint that you already don't see on a normal Porsche car's caliper now, its almost a guaranteed No.

Its also extremely hard to upgrade caliper colors. Like if you have red brakes or silver brakes and you want them to be Speed yellow to look like PCCB, Porsche will most likely say no. Downgrading is a much easier (but still slim chance) of getting approved. Acid green to silver, Acid green to black, Speed yellow to silver, etc.

To keep anonymity, I cannot give you the specific examples as there are only less than 30 of these examples and it would be pretty obvious then.

I can name a few examples that you see more that you'll be able to find easier yourself online as well. Before Panamera E-hybrid had to choice for choosing non-Acid green caliper, there was a decent amount of requests for them to change to silver or black because people didn't like the looks of it, they granted a couple requests in the beginning, people complained, and eventually now they made it possible. There are quite a couple 918 spyder with silver calipers in the US.

Also, for your reference, starting in 2018, the standard silver paint on calipers for S models (like Macan S, Cayenne S, panamera S) will now be painted in titanium silver instead. Just FYI. Porsche do not change caliper paint formula on standard cars often, they been using guards red and speed yellow since forever.

Last edited by chaosoul; 04-19-2017 at 11:29 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:20 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Interesting and baffling all at once.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:52 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 440 Likes on 230 Posts

Wrong. I know someone who had their 997.2 RS 4.0 painted calipers from the factory to match his PTS. Not a Porsche family member. Albeit, very high up on the Porsche food chain. He said it was near impossible, but they did it straight from the factory. Here's proof:
Old 04-19-2017, 06:57 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 180 Posts

Proof would also include the build sheet.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:00 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 440 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by d00d
Proof would also include the build sheet.

Believe what you want. If you're high enough up at Porsche, they will do anything short of illegal.

Quick Reply: Porsche Exclusive Calipers?