Sponsored by:

Thinking of Swapping 991 GT3 out for a Mclaren 650S

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 06:18 PM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 226 Posts
Default Thinking of Swapping 991 GT3 out for a Mclaren 650S

As the title states, I keep reading reviews of these Mclaren's impressing people, and I have to say given they are available and 'reasonably' priced as compared to the RS prices and availability of getting allocations; Im intrigued.

Who here has made this switch? I passed on an MP4-12C awhile back and have not overly regretted that, but from the improvements in the newer generation vehicles, it seems this could be a worthy driver/light track duty vehicle?

Plus, I think they look great... So the biggest question becomes 991 GT3 (possibly 991 RS), or make the jump to a Mclaren 650S for awhile?

Would love to meet up with someone in the MN/WI area that has a Mclaren too
Old 04-15-2017, 06:30 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by redmonkey928
As the title states, I keep reading reviews of these Mclaren's impressing people, and I have to say given they are available and 'reasonably' priced as compared to the RS prices and availability of getting allocations; Im intrigued.

Who here has made this switch? I passed on an MP4-12C awhile back and have not overly regretted that, but from the improvements in the newer generation vehicles, it seems this could be a worthy driver/light track duty vehicle?

Plus, I think they look great... So the biggest question becomes 991 GT3 (possibly 991 RS), or make the jump to a Mclaren 650S for awhile?

Would love to meet up with someone in the MN/WI area that has a Mclaren too
Where would you service it?
Old 04-15-2017, 06:31 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Depends what you can get the 650S for
Old 04-15-2017, 07:10 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 916 Posts

Wait for 720S
Old 04-15-2017, 07:28 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Wait for used 720S
FIFY
Old 04-15-2017, 07:45 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
FIFY
While I agree they'll be some good used prices my guess is they won't be substantial until the Spider arrives.....when that happens is still not clear....

For myself after a test drive I am seriously contemplating trading but my GT3 and 458 for the 720....main reason being not a lot of time for one let alone 2 fun cars....and for myself I would rather pay more to get exactly what I want, colors and options.....when it comes to used exotics there are invariably options one would want and not want when looking for a car....finding the perfect used car is sometimes difficult, starting with, and most important to me, color.....

It could take quite a long time to find a used one with most of the parameters one is looking for, and then the selling party could be asking a crazy price.....then what do you do?....continue the search and settle for something you may not be crazy about because it's cheaper?....it's always a catch 22 when it comes to any of these high end cars....
Old 04-15-2017, 07:53 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
While I agree they'll be some good used prices my guess is they won't be substantial until the Spider arrives.....when that happens is still not clear....

For myself after a test drive I am seriously contemplating trading but my GT3 and 458 for the 720....main reason being not a lot of time for one let alone 2 fun cars....and for myself I would rather pay more to get exactly what I want, colors and options.....when it comes to used exotics there are invariably options one would want and not want when looking for a car....finding the perfect used car is sometimes difficult, starting with, and most important to me, color.....

It could take quite a long time to find a used one with most of the parameters one is looking for, and then the selling party could be asking a crazy price.....then what do you do?....continue the search and settle for something you may not be crazy about because it's cheaper?....it's always a catch 22 when it comes to any of these high end cars....
So true on the missing option thing. The way things have worked out I've either bought used or fell in to a new car (like my RS) that I didn't get to option. I was looking forward to optioning the .2 GT3 but I can't justify another purchase so quickly after the RS. For sure on the 992 GT3!
Old 04-15-2017, 08:04 PM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 226 Posts

Some great thoughts; so let's add some more context.

I've found a 650S that checks about all of the boxes aside of the interior option (color is fine, but I would prefer the full alcantara option versus traditional leather dash and seats); but this is not a deal breaker since the color is black and that works for my as a preferred color.

Apple to apples in the driving side of it, there are some thoughts I've got about going from a sports car to a super car. Has anyone driven both of these and care to share some thoughts? Otherwise it will be a long weekend of watching YouTube videos before deciding where to eventually head to drive one.

And service in Chicago most likely at Mclaren, but there are a few independents in MN I believe that have worked with these.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:41 PM
Jono809
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

You should definitely go try one, it's got a lot of presence, attracts a lot of attention. There's a bit of turbo lag but when the boost comes on it's a huge rush, lots of fun to drive. The hydraulically linked suspension is amazing too, rides a lot better than a GT3, and does better to eliminate body roll and dive/squat.

Has hydraulic steering too, so that's good, but the suspension probably takes away a bit of road feel.

I live in the CBD here and the during my 4 day test drive I found it really embarrassing to use, every time I stopped people would come up and talk to me, parents wanted to take photos of their kids in it, and this was just normal use, not at car meets. People wanted to chat to me at the lights - it was all positive feedback though, most didn't know what the car was (this was 2015). This probably isn't a bad thing if you don't mind or don't plan on going to a built up area.

I ended up sticking with my RS order and waiting it out, luckily that came through in the end and glad I went RS. Even though mine's purple I can generally go about my business without hassle...
The other thing was that I figured there are plenty of 650S in the market at any one time and they're only coming down in price, rather rapidly right now, the cheapest 650S here is on par with a low km 991 GT3. Would definitely like one in the future, but no rush as there will always be cars available.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:51 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,793 Likes on 4,779 Posts

If I had a two car garage, I think a 650S would seriously be a contender for one of the 2 cars.

That said, I have only a one car garage. And, for now, a GT3 satisfies all that I need.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:15 AM
vodavoda
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
this ^^^
Old 04-16-2017, 01:20 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

call CJ Ichiban
Old 04-16-2017, 01:23 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

McLaren's are bullet-proof.

They never break down.
Old 04-16-2017, 02:28 AM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
McLaren's are bullet-proof.

They never break down.
If only that were true. Let me know when a dealership comes to Austin, and I might just pick one up as I am tempted even now.
Old 04-16-2017, 02:44 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

If only that were true. Let me know when a dealership comes to Austin, and I might just pick one up as I am tempted even now.
I'm sure it's just a matter of time. Given Austin demographics.

Quick Reply: Thinking of Swapping 991 GT3 out for a Mclaren 650S