Sponsored by:

Pccb or not pccb - Read this first

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 05:23 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Wish Porsche would let you pick the caliper color like McLaren does.
That makes 2 of us !
Old 04-14-2017, 07:03 AM
Redback911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Wish Porsche would let you pick the caliper color like McLaren does.
Originally Posted by bccars
That makes 2 of us !
+1

We painted the PCCBs on our Cayman to match the interior. Looked great, in our opinion at least. :-)

Old 04-14-2017, 10:01 AM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Front PCCB vs RB CCB is not really apples to apples given the smaller diameter and swept area of the RB CCB.
That's what the comparison is for, all 3 setup* have the same center piece (rotor hat) with the same material (aluminum) and similar size and weight.

So the difference in 3 discs' weight and their weight distribution distance from the rotating axis are the only two factors in the equation that affect the moment of inertia.

The conclusion is:
For the same diameter of rotor - The lighter the weight the lower in MOI.
For the same weight of rotor - The smaller diameter the lower in MOI.
A lower MOI (Moment of Inertia) setup means it has less resistance (quicker & easier) than the higher one to rotate around the same axle (to accelerate and decelerate).

* Assume all 3 setup can adequately handle the brake duty in dissipating the heat.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:03 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
That makes 2 of us !
I have a Miami Blue Targa GTS on order and went with the steel ones but I did consider the PCCBs...still time to change the build and last night I decided to change to the PCCBs but today I changed my mind. I have read virtually every thread about them, here and elsewhere and I still cannot find anything to make me add them, today at least. And Red or Yellow calipers look good with Miami Blue. By the way, my dealer said they would powder coat my calipers in any color I want for $1400, parts & labor.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:15 PM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 97 Posts

Powder coating will not make the rust go away.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:24 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by white6speed
Powder coating will not make the rust go away.
I never said it would, but it does allow for a different color caliper. I think I will stick with what I have and get the wheels coated, barrels included, and rinse them off when the dust is noticeable. I can afford the cost of the PCCBs but in my case I do not see them benefiting me; however, I may wake up tomorrow and change my mind again.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:50 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
Disagree - yellow ceramics on white or black paint is stunning. Hideous on red and dark blues (smurf blue pulls it off well though)
+1. Also, when I see a 911 with red calipers, the next word that comes into my head is “stripper.” Not that there’s anything wrong with that.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:31 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WernerE

+1. Also, when I see a 911 with red calipers, the next word that comes into my head is “stripper.” Not that there’s anything wrong with that.
My Targa GTS has Red calipers (as of today) but it is far from what anyone would call a stripper. And if I change my mind again and get the PCCBs the last reason I would do so is to show someone I spent a lot of money on brakes.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:17 PM
Banango
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I have read virtually every thread about them, here and elsewhere and I still cannot find anything to make me add them, today at least.
Dont read about it, as informative and useful as that is, go out and drive equally spec’ed cars with and without PCCBs (or some other CCMs). If you feel no difference, save the money. If you feel the difference, you probably have your decision made for you in favour of the carbon ceramics. In combination with lighter than stock wheels the difference is substantial and positive. It is definitely greater than lighter wheels alone. Rotational unsprung mass is a b*tch.

Full agreement with those that wish Porsche would allow buyers to spec caliper colour. Our PCCB calipers were powder coated red but the result is not quite as good as “factory”. The confusion on people’s faces is always amusing.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:07 AM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Why do we think the Turbo S and the GT2 come standard with PCCB if they are all about caliper color. By the way DHL (international competitor to UPS and FEDX) corporate colors are red and yellow. Guess they felt like they could live with that "hideous" color combination.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:10 AM
DerStig
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think people who consider PCCB also should consider the inertia impact with tires/wheels as well. I suspect the impact tires/wheels have in the overall system is so great that smal savings from pccb is going to be secondary. Not only do tires/wheels weigh much more but more importantly they have far greater radius than small brake discs. Remember that moment of inertia exponentially increases with radius.

if my math without the use of a calculator is accurate, i believe the impact of similar savings with tires will yield somewhere over 10 times savings in inertia.

I am not saying pccb is not worth it but if you want to save rotational weight, i wouldnt spend a dime on PCCB until all dimes are spent for saving weight on tires and wheels and only then pay for pccb.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:50 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Very true. I have been riding bikes along with some racing and replacing wheels with lighter ones are usually one of the first things to do albeit many sport bikes these days are getting lighter and lighter wheels, but not too light since the risk of damage has to be taken into account for street driving due to the not so great condition of roads.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:44 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 515 Posts

My first set of PCCBs on a Porsche. My other 3 had the big red irons........

I am blown away by the super feel of the brakes and how the reduced weight assist in the handling of the car.............

However, being a clean freak with my cars........the benefit of no brake dust is beyond itself............it saves so much time in cleaning the wheels, the driveway, no need for chemical cleaners or brushes for cleaning the wheels, etc........It save at least 30 minutes of washing my wheels or more.............car looks clean all the time.................

As far as replacement, there are options now to reduce costs, etc..........since I am not a track rat.........3 times a year only................they should last a long time...........

I will never order a car without PDCCs again............
Old 09-17-2018, 05:49 PM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

AMEN!
Old 09-24-2018, 09:20 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by abiazis
My first set of PCCBs on a Porsche. My other 3 had the big red irons........

I am blown away by the super feel of the brakes and how the reduced weight assist in the handling of the car.............

However, being a clean freak with my cars........the benefit of no brake dust is beyond itself............it saves so much time in cleaning the wheels, the driveway, no need for chemical cleaners or brushes for cleaning the wheels, etc........It save at least 30 minutes of washing my wheels or more.............car looks clean all the time.................

As far as replacement, there are options now to reduce costs, etc..........since I am not a track rat.........3 times a year only................they should last a long time...........

I will never order a car without PDCCs again............
CCB is definitely the future of the brake, and no dust/no rust is just one of the several benefits. As a brake company with decades of experience in cast iron metallurgy, we are in strong favor of CCB's for its thermal stability and ever lasting performance that none of the conventional iron can even closely compare.

Quick Reply: Pccb or not pccb - Read this first