Sponsored by:

How to restore your damaged CCM rotors at no cost

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 08:16 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default How to restore your damaged CCM rotors at no cost

A revolutionary sintered brake pad developed by RacingBrake can do it for you.

Not only it can deliver a very high COF (0.65) with consistent brake torque under higher temperature (than irons) when run CCM brakes, but it can actually heal and restore your damaged CCM discs.

Rotor surface condition (pitted due to heat stress and carbon oxidation) prior to sintered pad was deployed.

After use (street and track) with transfer of layer from brake pads.

These are not magic show, it's a proven result with 16 month of development and countless track and street tests on ZR1, GTR and Z28.

Discussion on GTR forum.
http://www.gtrheritage.com/topic/671...cmcarbon-pads/

http://www.gtrheritage.com/topic/635...ke#entry113545

On Z28 forum.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=racing+brake

Last edited by RacingBrake; 04-12-2017 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:50 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I can't wait for tires that heal themselves by driving over clag...
Old 04-13-2017, 12:24 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

That's a good one... I almost fell out of my chair

OP I think you're talking about something SOO revolutionary that it defies our understanding of how ceramics and brake pads work.

We all see pad transfer with hard-driven cars at the track. I've had mirror-like surfaces after a good track day from pad transfer, only to see the transferred materials fall out at the next wash or just regular street driving.

The bar is high when it comes to the statement you're making.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:26 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

Lmao!!!
Old 04-13-2017, 01:49 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

I don't understand the animosity against RB. No Sponsor here (except for maybe the exhaust guys) work so hard to add value and knowledge here. And RB seems to get raked every time they promote their product.. anyway

This is truly amazing stuff.. can you provide more info RB?
-Does the transfer material keep improving the brake over time then?
-Does the material transferred work as well as a new CCM disk?
-do the brakes using this pad just not wear out then?

Lots of questions..
Old 04-13-2017, 01:54 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Alex, what animosity, just a joke?
I communicated with Warren several times and I read all his posts with great interest.

As yourself and Crex state, you cant just state "no magic here" and plop this down without more explanation.

So, for now more questions than answer. I don't want to go dig through GTR and Z28 forums.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:13 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I don't understand the animosity against RB. No Sponsor here (except for maybe the exhaust guys) work so hard to add value and knowledge here. And RB seems to get raked every time they promote their product.. anyway

This is truly amazing stuff.. can you provide more info RB?
-Does the transfer material keep improving the brake over time then?
-Does the material transferred work as well as a new CCM disk?
-do the brakes using this pad just not wear out then?

Lots of questions..
The friction couple (pad and rotor) compatibility is very important in the performance of all brake systems, not only carbon ceramic. However since CCM rotors generate much more heat than conventional iron (due to its lighter weight), so it's even more crucial in carbon ceramic application.

To achieve a healthy braking operation it's necessary to transfer a layer from the pad surface on to the rotor face. For iron rotors (with semi-metallic pads) this usually can be achieved with careful selection of iron rotor material and brake pad compound.

However since the CCM rotors brake is running at a higher (~30%) temperature level than iron so using conventional semi-metallic pad becomes challenging due to the temperature limit of resin that holds the friction ingredient together. Resin is of plastic nature so when the pad is heated up it becomes soft and starts losing its binding strength, that's when you feel brake fade and notice resin emitted to rotor surface with uneven/un-uniform layers (bad deposit) that will cause vibration and other ill effect.

Sintered pad on the other hand, uses no resin, and is of full (100%) metallic, it's composed of various metallic powder. Those powder were compressed together under extremely high pressure, under very high temperature, takes days to cure and form together with the steel backing plate which is made of high tensile strength alloy steel so they for more resistant to deformation (warping) under repeated heat cycles.

During bed-in process the sintered pad starts transferring a very "uniform" layers (good deposit) over to rotor surface which also forming a protective coat on rotor surface, from thereon the friction is taken place between the transferred layers between the pad and rotor surface.

If a CCM rotor is already damaged (pitted-rough surface) due to the heat stress & incompatible pads, after bedding in with sintered pad, those surface will begin to heal, and eventually the metallic layer will smooth out the entire disc surface, we used dial gauge to check run out on those healed surface and the run out is within the tolerance of .00013"

During this rotor surface healing (patching) process you will notice the pad will wear out faster than normal, but after the rotor surface is restored not only the rotor life is to be prolonged, but the pad wear rate will become normal.

Last edited by RacingBrake; 05-14-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:27 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Default Ferrari 458 Speciale CCM rotor and pad wear

These Ferrari 458 Speciale CCM rotors were tracked at COTA, both front and rear worn down into steel backing plates. They were sent to us this Monday for a solution.

Front:

Rear:

Old 04-13-2017, 10:28 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

damn!
didn't the wear sensors warn him he was on the backing plate...or the sound?
Old 04-14-2017, 11:16 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 194 Posts

Lookie, I've healed my rotors too haven't i?
Attached Images   
Old 05-08-2017, 09:41 AM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Learn how this Z28 club racer shaved his 10 second at Buttonwillow race track.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/newrep...eply&p=9700803
So after the first run with the new calipers I want to give a debrief on the Racing Brake Calipers and pads. I ran the Brembo system for an entire year and was satisfied overall. The Racing Brake 2 piece forged calipers provided more braking power and doing so more consistently over the OEM system. When braking it feels as if there is a 50% increase in braking power bite and ability as well as a smoother transition.
The other component of note is the sintered metallic pads and the use of them on the Carbon Ceramic Rotors. I ran the CCR for an entire season and now have switched to the Racing Brake Sintered Pads and have seen their claim of the sintered pad adding a layer to the CCR as well as healing the fractures caused by the OEM pad. I ran the car for 6+ hours at the last event at Buttonwillow 13CW in both Time Trial and Race Group sessions ranging from 20-35 mins each over 2 days. The brakes responded flawlessly every session. There were no instances of brake fade and the brakes had very aggressive bite. I have a little over a millimeter left on the pads on all 4 corners.
I consider braking still one of the areas of most improvement as a racer and for faster lap times however my previous best time was a 2:04 and I was able to trim that down to a 1:55.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:14 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

10 seconds in a 2 minute track????
Old 05-08-2017, 10:42 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

This thread is bs. Ok we all know what sintered pads are. But. Posting this guys z28 account as a reference to how awesome they are? A z28 should be running in the 155-158 range STOCK on thwt configuration. Plus read below. He also changed to SLICKS. this was the reason for his improved times. Not the brakes. Let's be real here.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=487557

Here is the best run I had at Buttonwillow 13 CW with a 1:55 this last weekend in the Time Trial portion with NASA SoCal which would have got me third place but the track timing was not working so it got pushed to the previous time of a 1:56. My previous best was a 2:04. I changed to the RacingBrake USA 2 piece forged calipers and sintered metallic pads which gave me substantial braking capability as well as Pirelli Pzero slicks and there was a substantial difference over the Toyo R888 which I ran all of last year. Big props to Stephen Fuller for introducing me to JB Racing Tires for the used slicks. I know that I have at least 3-4 seconds as a driver and the next upgrade needs to be a proper suspension which would probably be at least another 2-3 seconds because the car is still soft and squishy and needs an aggressive coil over setup. I am also still classed low so I can either bump power or reduce more weight. Enjoy.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:46 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
10 seconds in a 2 minute track????
Lol. Negates any and all credibility from the poster and reviewer.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:16 AM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

That sort of stuff must work on other boards. Rennlist not so much.

Quick Reply: How to restore your damaged CCM rotors at no cost