Sponsored by:

Engine Control Fault

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 12:14 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Maybe it's like the 997 RMS issue; the more they were driven - the less they appear.
Maybe. Break in was 800 miles and then straight to track. First oil change after first 2 track days, then every 10 track days with 5w-50 mobile 1
Old 04-27-2017, 12:25 AM
vodavoda
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
You don't see that kind of wear in a 250K miles engine that has been properly maintained.
you said it!

Originally Posted by bronson7
When will Porsche finally admit to this issue?
No ****... you'd think with all the VW BS, they would face this head-on! Transparency, my ***. Losing confidence in the brand.

Originally Posted by robmypro
BTW, are they replacing the heads because they are damaged, or because of a new design? Assuming new design, but wanted to throw the question about there.
That's the million dollar question, isn't it?

Originally Posted by urban2k
I've asked these questions to my SA, as well as contact info at PCNA. I'd like to figure this out too. The last thing I want is having to worry about this happening again.
EXACTLY!
Originally Posted by levd
Most likely it will. Sorry to say.

This engine was designed bad. Top-end rebuilds will only fix it for a while. I expect mine to fail again within next 10.000 miles.
Originally Posted by levd
We will soon. Zero doubts. They will ALL fail again. And again. And again.
1. Admit it
2. Issue transferable 100K mile warranty on the motor
3. Give the damn specifics of the what the fix is! Quit making it a mystery.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:38 AM
urban2k
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SA said its unclear what the fix is. The crankshaft apparently has an updated part number and likely point to changes. I'll call PCNA tomorrow. I doubt they will clarify the matter, but at least I'd like to get reimbursed for the 2 year service I just did that cost me $2K.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:03 AM
Cay_PI
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

@urban2k:

Maybe you postet it allready elsewhere but I didn't find the information. What engine serial number do you have? F > 30xx or G? If so... oh noooo. If below: you will get improved parts that may solve the problems.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:13 AM
Nine1won
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Good to hear...you coming out to BW on June 2-4?
Unfortunately, I can't make it. Will be in Tahoe for a friend's birthday.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:28 AM
urban2k
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cay_PI
@urban2k:

Maybe you postet it allready elsewhere but I didn't find the information. What engine serial number do you have? F > 30xx or G? If so... oh noooo. If below: you will get improved parts that may solve the problems.
All I know is that it's an F-series engine. Don't have access to the car so can't get the serial number. I can ask my SA.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:00 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 354 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by urban2k
Here are the photos: The two on the left are from CYL4.
Have them check for cylinder scoring and bearing wear when the head is off, all of that metal has to go somewhere, and you don't want an engine in the car that has DLC particles embedded in the bearings and scoring in the cylinders... Another reenlisted had to push and eventually got a new G engine out of it, took a bit of effort, but they got it done. I suggest the same for you...

To all that are hopeful the G engine is immune, the design is the same as the E,F on the valve train only DLC coated, so it takes longer to start wearing the metal. The G engined cars will show this issue as well, just don't know how long it will take. There's a reason why they went from hydraulic lash adjusters, to solid lash adjusters in the 991.2 engine and this is why we're putting a lot of resources into addressing this, as I personally don't have confidence Porsche will warranty this issue once the warranty is expired...
jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports
Old 04-27-2017, 03:03 PM
urban2k
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Have them check for cylinder scoring and bearing wear when the head is off, all of that metal has to go somewhere, and you don't want an engine in the car that has DLC particles embedded in the bearings and scoring in the cylinders... Another reenlisted had to push and eventually got a new G engine out of it, took a bit of effort, but they got it done. I suggest the same for you...

To all that are hopeful the G engine is immune, the design is the same as the E,F on the valve train only DLC coated, so it takes longer to start wearing the metal. The G engined cars will show this issue as well, just don't know how long it will take. There's a reason why they went from hydraulic lash adjusters, to solid lash adjusters in the 991.2 engine and this is why we're putting a lot of resources into addressing this, as I personally don't have confidence Porsche will warranty this issue once the warranty is expired...
Great advise. I'll make sure I relay the message.
My engine serial number: F02947
Old 04-27-2017, 06:04 PM
vodavoda
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank you for a solid answer! Much appreciated... PAC should man-up and issue a bulletin to this regard and be accountable by spelling out a clear plan as to how they are or aren't going to deal with this issue.

So, what about the RS?
Old 04-27-2017, 08:06 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 354 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by vodavoda
Thank you for a solid answer! Much appreciated... PAC should man-up and issue a bulletin to this regard and be accountable by spelling out a clear plan as to how they are or aren't going to deal with this issue.

So, what about the RS?
RS is just a longer stroke 3.8L. Same valve train, so very likely the same end result as the lack of a stable oil film on the finger followers is the issue...
Old 04-27-2017, 09:54 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

RS is just a longer stroke 3.8L. Same valve train, so very likely the same end result as the lack of a stable oil film on the finger followers is the issue...
Very interesting that you feel the RS is in the similar boat.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:48 PM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
22k miles on mine. Close to 7k on track. Strange that some fail with very little use and others with a ton of use are still ok
Joe, you warm up your engine and don't rev while in park.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:40 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gago1101
Joe, you warm up your engine and don't rev while in park.
Hmmm... you are RIGHT!
Old 04-27-2017, 11:46 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 89 Posts

Joe does your car ever smoke on startup?
Old 04-27-2017, 11:52 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Loess
Joe does your car ever smoke on startup?
Once in a while. Not nearly as much as it did when it was new.
The car still consumes oil on track. About 1/4 quart per track day

Quick Reply: Engine Control Fault