Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want to stay with the P car, but...

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 07:01 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

No dealer will even give anyone much over MSRP or any for a 991.1 RS right now.

Trading in an RS for a .2 GT3 will net $50K or less depending on builds of course.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:08 PM
CHADW
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

OP, I'm curious if you got the cold shoulder and $25k adm after you told them of your plan to free up $100k on the deal. This would be paying you last year's retail for your RS trade and selling you their new super hot GT3 at invoice. I can see them not being excited to do this deal.

I'm also curious if dealers are adjusting after realizing what they have been squandering for years. No doubt Porsche is a little spoiled and cocky now but I have noticed many GT buyers don't buy regular Porsches. I know lots do but many don't. It's a huge waste to sell GT cars to guys that only buy GT cars, unless you charge them enough...
Old 04-09-2017, 07:17 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=CHADW;It's a huge waste to sell GT cars to guys that only buy GT cars, unless you charge them enough...[/QUOTE]

This is getting better each min
Old 04-09-2017, 09:17 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by CHADW
OP, I'm curious if you got the cold shoulder and $25k adm after you told them of your plan to free up $100k on the deal. This would be paying you last year's retail for your RS trade and selling you their new super hot GT3 at invoice. I can see them not being excited to do this deal.

I'm also curious if dealers are adjusting after realizing what they have been squandering for years. No doubt Porsche is a little spoiled and cocky now but I have noticed many GT buyers don't buy regular Porsches. I know lots do but many don't. It's a huge waste to sell GT cars to guys that only buy GT cars, unless you charge them enough...
Wait, what? That is some twisted logic there buddy. How about Porsche making something else that interests me and then I'll play ball. The Cayenne and Macan are not big enough SUVs for my needs, the Panamera holds only 4 and looks homely, I don't need a second 911 and why buy a Cayman when I have a GT3? For the record, I've owned a couple 911 Turbos and a Boxster so it isn't like I didn't give them a try.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:51 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
They make a tall person normal door model yet?
Ha! I'm similar sized to you and can tell you right away tracking would be tricky due to the crammed legs and feet. Also I hate getting into the car when there is a crowd (there always seem to be one) as it's not a graceful procedure for a 6'4" 240 pounder. Once in though, you feel like you are held by a baseball glove.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:02 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

It's a huge waste to sell GT cars to guys that only buy GT cars, unless you charge them enough...
Can't tell if trolling but will play anyway....

I don't care that Porsche has become an SUV company but if they start determining who gets a sports car by who has bought the most people haulers that's only going to accelerate the movement of enthusiasts to other more focused sports car brands like Mclaren, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc. At least if you go to Ferrari or Mclaren, loyalty is measured in what you actually want, sports cars. The idea of buying a 570s in order to get priority for say a 570lt kinda makes sense, at least we're in the same category, but buying a refrigerator and an oven when what I really want is to upgrade my tv is silly.

That model works great for fashion and status brands like Hermes where customers are more focused on the logo than the product. Maybe that's where the Porsche brand is headed, maybe it's already there but since I'm only interested in GT cars the marketing is lost on me, and if so, good for them since VAG needs the $$$, but long term the hardcore enthusiast for whom intrinsic value and product design/engineering is more important than brand will go elsewhere like Mclaren.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:20 PM
crewmember80
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JSA
I felt like I got the run around today on a new GT3 allocation. And I have a 991 GT3RS to trade. I just feel like my dealer either doesn't have enough allocations or they're toying with me. And I have to say, the new McLaren 570 is looking awfully temping.
I see that you are in Marietta, which dealer do you deal with? The dealer I usually deal with are straight shooter...well atleast for the last 4 I bought from them including a GT4. They have not mentioned any market adjustment for the GT3 allocation.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:25 PM
CHADW
Racer

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
Wait, what? That is some twisted logic there buddy. How about Porsche making something else that interests me and then I'll play ball. The Cayenne and Macan are not big enough SUVs for my needs, the Panamera holds only 4 and looks homely, I don't need a second 911 and why buy a Cayman when I have a GT3? For the record, I've owned a couple 911 Turbos and a Boxster so it isn't like I didn't give them a try.
You are a perfect example. Say you own the Porsche dealership. Why would they want to sell you a GT car?

Even though you have bought 3 Porsches in your lifetime, they weren't all from that local dealer and they have't seen your $ in years. I'm just guessing here

You don't like anything in the current or future product lineup.

There is no chance they are going to get the opportunity to sell you a regular car.

When there are so many people that want GT cars, they need to sell them to their most valuable customers. The allocations can be gestures of gratitude to their biggest buyers or sweetener for regular car deals. Either way, that's much better for their dealership.

Check out CJ's dealership points system thread. It seemed to be almost universally accepted and if you boil it down, customers (allocations) are ranked according to their value to the dealership.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:32 PM
CHADW
Racer

Originally Posted by ajw45
Can't tell if trolling but will play anyway....

I don't care that Porsche has become an SUV company but if they start determining who gets a sports car by who has bought the most people haulers that's only going to accelerate the movement of enthusiasts to other more focused sports car brands like Mclaren, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc. At least if you go to Ferrari or Mclaren, loyalty is measured in what you actually want, sports cars. The idea of buying a 570s in order to get priority for say a 570lt kinda makes sense, at least we're in the same category, but buying a refrigerator and an oven when what I really want is to upgrade my tv is silly.

That model works great for fashion and status brands like Hermes where customers are more focused on the logo than the product. Maybe that's where the Porsche brand is headed, maybe it's already there but since I'm only interested in GT cars the marketing is lost on me, and if so, good for them since VAG needs the $$$, but long term the hardcore enthusiast for whom intrinsic value and product design/engineering is more important than brand will go elsewhere like Mclaren.
Just playing devil's advocate. You make a great point, it's not your fault they don't make another car you want.

But look at it from the other side. If you were the guy that bought 5-10 cars a year from them, can you imagine not getting a GT car?

Or if they can move a 200k Panny with each GT they sell, that's an easy decision.

You aren't getting a car. Those guys are.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:16 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,800 Likes on 2,166 Posts

Just playing devil's advocate. You make a great point, it's not your fault they don't make another car you want.

But look at it from the other side. If you were the guy that bought 5-10 cars a year from them, can you imagine not getting a GT car?

Or if they can move a 200k Panny with each GT they sell, that's an easy decision.

But there's the funny thing, there are more and more dealerships who don't care how many cars you may have bought from them over the years. All they can see is $$$ of market adjustments in their head, that's the truly sad part of all this. I think good customers who bought several non-GT cars should get GT cars at MSRP without having to beg and plead for one. I too will not buy any non-GT car but I can provide referrals who will and since I drive the hell out of my GT cars on the track I'm going to be a great service department customer.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:33 AM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Agree but I think "waste" was a strong word. There are people that buy the whole set and yeah, as a dealer I would want to make sure they get a GT car to go with their stretched panny. AND there are people that only buy GT cars which are also high price high profit vehicles and as a dealer I should want to get those people cars as well because as enthusiasts they are my best brand ambassadors (or my worst critics).

I guess my point is both customers are important and neither is a waste. The supply issue is forcing dealers to have to choose and those choices will impact the brand long term. That Porsche is leaving those choices up to the dealers, many of whom are going after short term gains vs long term brand equity, is a questionable strategy. If there is a wasted allocation, it's the GT allocations going to dealers who spec the cars themselves and then sell to the highest bidder....
Old 04-10-2017, 12:41 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Going from an RS to a GT3 of any year is a step down and this is regardless of performance. If you're motivation is to put $100,000 back in your pocket I think you need to rethink that. Between ADM mark ups on the new GT3 and the trade-in value you will get on your RS you will be well short of the $100,000 mark.
whar a snobbery

1.RS has no RSR heritage whilst .2GT3 has

i would never buy a .1RS either for 20k less than a .2 GT3

Darwin called it Evolution

Last edited by fxz; 04-10-2017 at 02:30 AM.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:01 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

This thread is touching on some very important trends:

Buyers feeling marginalized

ADM and reverse of ADM

McLaren's are starting to claw market share mentally and awareness wise

Porsche dealers have cars the GT buyer does not necessarily "need"

1) the local guy who buys the most cars and provides the least headache wins. We have a customer who leases cayennes, panameras, wants a used RS, and is willing to sign ROFR on a GT3. He's getting one. --

second guy: out of towner- i get a call asking for 10k off every car on our small lot, tells me be buys cars from all over, gives me a hard time for not knowing he has a 430 spider, has 610 FICO. wants GT2RS PTS. Derp.

Everyone wants to be special as some have said, but some are more special. Pick your battles. I won't ever be Ferrari special, so I ask Ferrari dealer if something is possible. I have no leverage to demand. He has 40 guys waiting.

2) yes there has been an ADM on RS cars. If the OP who wanted "100k back"...so your RS is worth 260 in trade for a 160 car? Ok so you are charging a 50k ADM to dealer? Guys it goes both ways. I traded in my RS for sticker to park place in dallas. They sold me 911R at sticker. I could have sold RS on my own for 255 or whatever but didn't play games since I knew they could have yanked my R and ebay'd for 500k. At least I gave them a shot to resell a car that was marketable. And to be fair they sold to Merit who then upsold to someone else. Oh well.

If either party takes all meat off every bone other side starves. Gotta play nice- this is relationship part. Mutual risk, mutual headache.

3) mac is gaining ground. Sure they only sell 3500 cars worldwide for 200k+ but they're targeting all of you guys. As a mac dealer I am here to make deals. You will like the power, the handling, and HOLY ***** YOU CAN DO PTS ANYTIME. What do I have to lose by selling or leasing you an enjoyable car?? Nothing. Lets party. Lets go on a drive.

This whole thing about track worthiness is poppycock. How many guys besides mooty or trackcar are actually doing more than a dozen track days a year? That's what I consider light track use...once a month. Medium is 2 dozen. Heavy is 3 dozen. In the last two years i've done barely over 3 dozen track days.

12 p1
3 675LT
15 viper acr
6 BAC mono
2 RS
2 GT4
1 570S

Maintenance: Lots of tires. 1 set P1 pads. 1 set ACR pads.

4) porsche's tow vehicle is a cayenne TT. That's 140k or so for a 'barely long enough to tow' vehicle. You can buy a used raptor or a diesel f250 for 45k that will work better, cost less to insure etc. This is a big issue for VW group- they don't make a real "Truck" that GT drivers need.

We need a tow truck, we need a daily driver. The Macan GTS is a rad daily driver in the city. The new Panamera is a good sedan and steers better than the benz and feels super solid compared to a lexus etc.

But you're gonna spend 80-180k on those cars? Not everyone can afford a GT car AND a Sport Turismo Turbo.

This is an issue, and until Porsche makes an M3 for your daily...you either drive a second 911(?) or a car that miiiiiiiiiiight not fit your exact needs.

And the more expensive your GT car relative to income, the less other ancillary Porsches you buy.

THIS IS THE BIG MISCALCULATION- they think guys will scale down into a GTS or C2S. Nope. If you are a GT car guy you will sell everything else (blood, toys, stereo collection) but claw for dear life on the 2011 RS etc.

Customer profiling is important, so here is how I see it as a dealer. These are the essential questions I wonder about everyone I meet.

Top car sought out:
Daily driver car:
Wife car?
Kids car?
What car is he taking on a road trip?
Snow/ bad weather car?
Headache of a personality?
Annual mileage total?
Collector or flipper?
Will he keep in good shape?
Is there a trade?
Brand loyalty or dealer loyalty included?
Track guy?

So i'll go first (maybe this is my next thread)

1) BP23, GT2RS, P15, Ford GT,
2) Cayenne S hybrid Purpurite / M5 stick
3) Raptor
4) too young
5) road trip car: 911R, M5,
6) snow car: Cayenne S or Raptor
7) i only want weird spec
8) 20,000+ annually
9) collector, trade /1031 to upgrade/ consolidate
10) my cars are not clay bar/ waxed but mechanically tight always, I clear bra everything
11) yes i trade in- good CPO!
12) 100% dealer loyalty, 5 brands (Porsche, Mac, Ford, BMW, Audi) and open to MB and Ferrari for right models.
13) track guy: 675LT, P1, BAC, RS, 350R,
Old 04-10-2017, 01:21 AM
CALSE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just waiting for 675LT pricing to stabalize. Porsche stealerships really turning me off. 😬
Old 04-10-2017, 01:35 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
My SA called me today, offering an early GT3 .2 allocation. They're asking $25K market adjustment. And I have bought many many cars from them, traded many more also. This didn't sit well with me, especially after walking into the McLaren dealership for the first time ever and getting a 10K off sticker for a 570S earlier this year (granted not a just released model but they never asked over sticker). I think if you drive a 570S and see how the dealer network operates, you may be one of many defectors. Oh, and I declined my GT3 .2 offer.
Very unfortunate how Plano is now treating you. Forget the lowly SA. I would speak with the dealership manager and remind him about all the cars you bought and sold to them and demand your GT3 at MSRP. If he refuses the GT3 (and/or GT2RS) at MSRP, then I would let him know their dealership is losing all your future business including servicing your cars.
And then I would switch all your Porsche business to Park Place which still has a good reputation.

Quick Reply: I want to stay with the P car, but...