Sponsored by:

I want to stay with the P car, but...

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 12:05 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by sportscentury
I doubt it for two reasons. First, this is what happens at the beginning of every cycle. The dealers are just trying to exploit enthusiast excitement to bleed every last dollar. Second, the dealers typically know next to nothing about what PAG is going to do regarding manufacturing and production.
+1

As I always say : relax folks,unless you want to be the first one on the block...
Old 04-09-2017, 12:25 PM
sixtosune
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm wondering if Porsche is really thinking production numbers for the 991.2 GT3 simply will not be enough to meet demand.

I'm currently looking at taking up a slot to have a GT3 in my house in Portugal (of a grand total of 2 slots made available at the P dealer in Lisbon, Portugal - so I was told..) and while in this particular market (me thinks) it's forbidden for dealers to charge over sticker, they are asking for a 50k EURO deposit to get the slot...
Old 04-09-2017, 12:51 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
My SA called me today, offering an early GT3 .2 allocation. They're asking $25K market adjustment. And I have bought many many cars from them, traded many more also. This didn't sit well with me, especially after walking into the McLaren dealership for the first time ever and getting a 10K off sticker for a 570S earlier this year (granted not a just released model but they never asked over sticker). I think if you drive a 570S and see how the dealer network operates, you may be one of many defectors. Oh, and I declined my GT3 .2 offer.
Now this concerns me. When regular buying customers who turn their cars in are now being ask to pay a premium the system has gone haywire. Porsche needs to address and quick.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:10 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Now this concerns me. When regular buying customers who turn their cars in are now being ask to pay a premium the system has gone haywire. Porsche needs to address and quick.
Maybe there are many MORE 'regular, good' customers (vs number of available allocations), than there used to be before, so not all of them can flip their 1yr old GT models for the new one at MSRP?
Old 04-09-2017, 01:21 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

I agree that with so many RS's sitting on dealer lots, they will very soon start flexing on their above Msrp requests. It is after all an older model at this point, with an engine which has been surpassed.. and at $200k+.. it competes in a massively competitive market. For those who want an awesome track car, or a beautiful picnic table for Starbucks.. I'm thinking your waiting will have paid off.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:30 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

To quantify I think there are less than 55 RS's left in the US on lots. A couple of dealers I know can care less by having the RS on the floor for people to drool over, and may buy something else. Out of the 55 or so the majority are trades ......... Its stand off less see who wins .....my money is on the dealer too many people with big check books that will buy.

This may be close to accurate to what exist .....

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...sModified=true
Old 04-09-2017, 02:07 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
hmm, that's very concerning. It does sound like Park Place is asking for $25k over MSRP on 991.2 GT3s. Can anybody confirm that? GM should really have let me know about a change in policy as he has always been super transparent.
The other dealership in town.

Originally Posted by kyrocks
Sams dealer is Plano, not Park Place.
I have not heard Park Place asking for over MSRP on new cars.

I may relocate my loyalty if the BS continues.

I have also gone to McLaren. My Mantis Green 570S is on its way!
Can't wait to see it. What's the ETA?

Originally Posted by mooty
wow many gonig to mac.
i may have to try one.
sam and kyrock both track quite a bit, keep us posted on how they do.
mclarenlife.com is not all that useful...
mclarenlife feels dead compared to RL

Originally Posted by Nick
Don't think Porsche cares. Dealerships don't care obviously. I've had over 10 transactions with them over the past 5 years but they've gone too far. I got my RS at sticker but I think they regret this now!!

Originally Posted by silverrules
Hey Sam

They will come around if they are smart. Can't believe all these dealers loosing their good customers for small profit. Patience.
It may be too late. I'm hanging in for the possibility of a GT2RS but if I am asked to bend over to get, I have a deposit on the McLaren 720S

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
This is what pisses me off the most, a dealer being greedy with a good long-term customer who has bought and sold many cars with that same dealer. Unreal...
yup... I hear you.

Originally Posted by bigskyGT4
Right move. I hope you enjoy the Mac.
Loving it, though haven't tracked it yet, need to fix my back but plan on tracking this summer.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:34 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

After my third "market price" discussion with a local Porsche dealer I stopped by a Mclaren dealership. It was fantastic to have a "normal" dealership experience and actually be able to test drive a car that I might want to buy. Crazy right!? Porsche dealerships really have set a pretty low bar for the buying experience.

The 570s and 650s are really a whole other level as far as feel and feedback from the hydraulic steering and cf tub not to mention power. None of these are inexpensive machines but I would argue a new 570s is a great value at sub $200k to start and the 650s an incredible value used. Really my only complaint is that the tt v8 is a little laggy down low but with an 8k+ redline there's plenty of room to keep it over 4k rpm where it is a monster.

It was also interesting to see what was on the lot as far as trades, lots of 911s, a 997 GT3rs, even a 458 Speciale. The SA said the 570 s/gt has been huge for them and drawn a lot of traditional 911 buyers. If I wasn't a luddite and liked having a manual transmission I'd be speccing a 570s track pack right now....
Old 04-09-2017, 02:48 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
To quantify I think there are less than 55 RS's left in the US on lots. A couple of dealers I know can care less by having the RS on the floor for people to drool over, and may buy something else. Out of the 55 or so the majority are trades ......... Its stand off less see who wins .....my money is on the dealer too many people with big check books that will buy.

This may be close to accurate to what exist .....

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...sModified=true
I don't think that's even close to the full number out there. In my area alone, I know of four RS's that are/were at dealers recently that were not being advertised elsewhere. I'd bet that there are 75+ low mileage RS's out there for sale right now, all asking medium to high premiums.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:57 PM
SKY57
Instructor

I want to run to the McLaren dealership.
This happens from 5-6 times a week to 5-6 times a day.

I know GT cars is the obvious choice for track guys, but I went to 5-6 track days a year for the last 2 years:
For the same price, 570S or GT3; 650S or GT3RS; or add $30-$40K for the new 720S on top of that?

Let alone rude SA attitude that made me bend over and beg them to take my money. I am over that if they can get me a car at MSRP.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:27 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 180 Posts

Tried to like the McLaren, but the kit car side scoops and other design quirks of the 570S turn me off.
I know it's a superior car, and Vette replacement rotors are inexpensive, maybe the next entry model will look good to me.

Have you looked at the Huracan LP 580-2?
Starts under $200K, better color options than Porsche, and it's less than 3100 lbs.
Their site is lacking, but found an option list;
Lamborghini-Huracán-MY16-options-list_USAretail-14-10-2015.pdf
Old 04-09-2017, 05:36 PM
SKY57
Instructor

Originally Posted by d00d
Tried to like the McLaren, but the kit car side scoops and other design quirks of the 570S turn me off.
I know it's a superior car, and Vette replacement rotors are inexpensive, maybe the next entry model will look good to me.

Have you looked at the Huracan LP 580-2?
Starts under $200K, better color options than Porsche, and it's less than 3100 lbs.
Their site is lacking, but found an option list;
Attachment 1153564
Tried Huracan LP 610-2. Awesome V10 sound with brutal acceleration, but the drive does not feel as solid as the 570S.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:08 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
wow many gonig to mac.
i may have to try one.
sam and kyrock both track quite a bit, keep us posted on how they do.
mclarenlife.com is not all that useful...
There were two Mclarens at Sebring this weekend, as many as there were RS.. they went slow but I wonder if they are durable yet.

I don't know what models they were, they look all the same to me.
They make a tall person normal door model yet?

Originally Posted by neanicu
+1

As I always say : relax folks,unless you want to be the first one on the block...
Exactly. I can suffer a little longer with the old purple track beater....
Old 04-09-2017, 06:43 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Going from an RS to a GT3 of any year is a step down and this is regardless of performance. If you're motivation is to put $100,000 back in your pocket I think you need to rethink that. Between ADM mark ups on the new GT3 and the trade-in value you will get on your RS you will be well short of the $100,000 mark.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:59 PM
C4SGRPDK
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I love GT3's and McLaren's.

But I was surprised by this:

After a couple years owning GT3's, they are pretty bulletproof.

Can any of you guys chime in on how reliable and costs of repairs when out of warranty, especially if the car is tracked like GT3's?

Quick Reply: I want to stay with the P car, but...