E diff vs Mechanical lsd on 991.2 gt3

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 10:29 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by isv
Source for that? Quite interested, haven't seen anything about the locking ratios about either the R or the manual gt3.
Somebody posted them (Porsche doc) and I don't remember where...
Old 04-02-2017, 10:57 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Just doing a public service for a few soon to be PDK converts, buddy.

LOL
Gotcha
Old 04-05-2017, 03:10 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

So the pdk car is much quicker and puts the power down better - just as I thought. I think that engineering two versions of a car has become cost prohibitive. I can't see Porsche making the manual transmission, purely mechanical limited slip, albeit slower car for much longer. The electronics are so integrated to maximize performance. Ferrari has long since abandoned this. This could be the last slow, enjoy the scenery,version of the gt3. I wish they had eliminated the rear wheel steering and torque vectoring on the manual transmission car, to make it as slow as possible.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:26 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Riz
So the pdk car is much quicker and puts the power down better - just as I thought. I think that engineering two versions of a car has become cost prohibitive. I can't see Porsche making the manual transmission, purely mechanical limited slip, albeit slower car for much longer. The electronics are so integrated to maximize performance. Ferrari has long since abandoned this. This could be the last slow, enjoy the scenery,version of the gt3. I wish they had eliminated the rear wheel steering and torque vectoring on the manual transmission car, to make it as slow as possible.
LOL
Old 04-05-2017, 03:56 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by Riz
That at is why they have the GT4. - no gimmicks
Old 04-05-2017, 04:11 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Also helps to be a smaller car. The much bigger 991 wheelbase vs the 997 wheelbase really demands the rear wheel steering for agility. I really miss it whenever I drive a friends 991.1 GTS that doesn't have it, because it wasn't offered on the 991.1 carreras. I didn't think the GT4 needed it, but the GT3 does needs it.

Originally Posted by Riz
Disagree. Porsche has realized just how important a niche is the RWD, NA manual GT3, a true drivers car, that no higher end manufacturer offers anymore, as Audi, Mercedes, BMW, Ferrari, Mclaren, Lambo, Alfa, etc no longer offer a powerful NA, RWD, lightweight manual sports car.

Porsche now owns this niche worldwide and will sell plenty of manual GT3s to cover their development costs as they will be making manual NA GT3s for the next twenty years at least.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:45 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Porsche now owns this niche worldwide and will sell plenty of manual GT3s to cover their development costs as they will be making manual NA GT3s for the next twenty years at least.
They certainly do and let's hope you're right.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:23 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 227 Likes on 130 Posts

Cannot WAIT to test out warranty on the diff!
Old 04-06-2017, 11:21 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 94 Posts

It would make sense that the LSD in the GT3 would vary slightly from the R in terms of locking factor, given they would expect it to visit the track more often. But I don't expect the actual internals to differ any. I'm guessing ramp angles will be the only difference.

However, I still don't expect much from this unit either. Let's hope we are all wrong.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:11 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Matt Monson from Guard might be able to do that...
Paging Matt! GT4 VS R VS R with wing..

Originally Posted by GrantG
Somebody posted them (Porsche doc) and I don't remember where...
Matt will know.

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Now, if they would just add aero and motor!

Originally Posted by RealityGT
Cannot WAIT to test out warranty on the diff!
I cant believe my PDKS hasn't fallen out of the car yet!

Originally Posted by Mvez
It would make sense that the LSD in the GT3 would vary slightly from the R in terms of locking factor, given they would expect it to visit the track more often. But I don't expect the actual internals to differ any. I'm guessing ramp angles will be the only difference.

However, I still don't expect much from this unit either. Let's hope we are all wrong.
Right! Plus the RWS and suspension is different in the RS so why wouldn't the LSD be?

500HP, 9000RPM, stickier tires then ever is a lot to take for the synchro's, clutch and LSD. The last time pretty much all 3 failed. If you added LSD, it added temps, making it worse for the gearbox and clutch.. I'm hoping for a radical surprise hat trick like the new heads on the GT3! Porsche can do it, if they decide to.

Quick Reply: E diff vs Mechanical lsd on 991.2 gt3