richk
Drifting

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

my 15tts with tune and sharkwerks exhaust is the porsche i have ever owned

better than my

cgt
.1rs
.2rs

and about 50 other p cars...i will agree its not great on the track but that can be fixed with some minor suspension tweaks!!! seems like you GT3 are a wee bit sensitive!!!

lets all meet in malibu canyons and figure it out
Old 03-25-2017, 02:37 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Just go to 991 Turbo forum, and there is a whole bunch of die-hard who prefer Turbo not just in general but even on the track.

I think Turbo gets undeserved bad rep for 2 reasons: 1) 997 and even maybe 996 turbos were a bit boring. 991.1 is miles more fun and 991.2 even more so, but are guilty by association; 2) it's become common to confuse fun/character with flaws with character or sportiness, and lack of flaws with lack of character. But that's just nonsense. If a racecar suspension bottoms out or skips, it's a limitation or a flaw, and it gets tuned out if possible. Why the heck if a street car suspension does not have these flaws, it's not sporty? And so on. Reminds me of kids putting 8 degrees of camber on their wheels and 5" exhausts dragging on the ground because it's "sporty".

For the record, I have a GT3, which I drove the **** off for 3 years (I'm now in a hotel at a track with it as well), and just bought a Turbo in addition, after much deliberation. I will keep both for now, but GT3 may be the first one to leave because it's almost as good as a race car, so once I get my hands on a GT4CS or something similar, GT3 will not see much use. Turbo is a weird combination of GT3 RS, Panamera, and a honey badger. There is really nothing else quite like it. Even though I'd prefer louder exhaust and more "unpadded" vibrations, it's unique and deserves admiration. It's like an ironman suit that's just as comfortable and normal-looking as a regular suit. I'd still prefer GT3/RS for the track.
Great response!
J
Old 03-25-2017, 02:54 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

the 991 GT3 and 991TT are both daily driver friendly. Comfortable and PDK.

The TT has a more luxo ride with gobs of torque for low rpm driving.
All-wheel drive all weather grip and 4 seats are the deciding factor for most.

The GT3 is a high rev track inspired 911.
2 wheel drive and only two seats. It is more of a toy to most.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:07 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

I like them all. A 991 turbo is an amazing car.

The problem is,
If you don't track? Why not get a comfortable 500-600hp sedan?
Audi RS7
BMW M
AMG
Panamera turbo

For street use my wife's BMW X5M is plenty fast and handles well enough for any road. Dog and kids might be throwing up in the back.
But, sure plenty agile for any canyon road.

I like comfort on the road and no comfort on track.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:08 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

I drove a TTS cab at Mosport in 2015.

Holy ***** that thing was amazing. They are great cars but totally understand the Panamera/ RS7 comment as the RS7 sounds awesome compared to the TTS.

I am on the fence about building and tracking a TTS JUST TO PASS SOUND AT LAGUNA.

1) delete rear seats
2) delete rear sound deadening
3) sunroof delete
4) PTS
5) keep muffler
6) bucket seats
7) delete everything from frunk

Voila- TTS just lost 150+ lbs and with right tires will smoke anyone who has to lift for turn 5
Old 03-25-2017, 03:25 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by richk
my 15tts with tune and sharkwerks exhaust is the porsche i have ever owned

better than my

cgt
.1rs
.2rs

and about 50 other p cars...i will agree its not great on the track but that can be fixed with some minor suspension tweaks!!! seems like you GT3 are a wee bit sensitive!!!

lets all meet in malibu canyons and figure it out
this misses my point. I've never disputed that the TTS is faster. I don't care which care is fastest on track or 0-60. I only care about which car I enjoy driving the most and that makes the occasion of driving it feel special and rewarding. The GT3 does that for me better than the TTS, even if the Tts leaves me in the dust.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:55 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban

Holy ***** that thing was amazing. They are great cars but totally understand the Panamera/ RS7 comment as the RS7 sounds awesome compared to the TTS.

I am on the fence about building and tracking a TTS JUST TO PASS SOUND AT LAGUNA.

1) delete rear seats
3) sunroof delete
4) PTS
5) keep muffler
6) bucket seats

Voila- TTS just lost 150+ lbs and with right tires will smoke anyone who has to lift for turn 5
Don't do it CJ. Just get a 991gt2rs. 👍
Old 03-25-2017, 04:14 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
Because people would never buy a GT3 for bragging rights. Only true enthusiasts of the highest caliber have the refined taste and sensibilities to buy a GT3, as opposed to us nouveau riche Turbo heathens.

Come on, man - that's just silly talk. I owned a GT4. I love cars, but I have a kid and a wife that I love to take on car drives. The Turbo lets me do that and allows me to drive the car way more than I could the GT4/GT3 by virtue of some small concessions to practicality. And it is fast as ****. That's fun to me.

I could not give a crap about "bragging rights". Most civilians can't tell the difference between a boxster and TTS, and that's the truth.

You might argue I'm the exception to the rule, but I really don't believe that's the case. I personally think the GT3 market is infected with just as much (likely more) of the type of owner you describe. Definitely more flippers.

Incidentally, I'm not offended - I just think that this "true enthusiast" talk is a little silly on a bourgeois car like a Porsche, GT3 or otherwise. Not many spend this kind of money on a car who is not passionate about cars - not to mention be willing to eat the monster depreciation on a Turbo!
Again, it may not have sounded that way, but I wasn't trying to offend turbo owners. However if you take 100 GT car owners and 100 turbo owners, the percentage of passionate drivers that take their cars to the track, modify their cars, and who regularly get together with other sports car owners for canyon drives etc, is a least double for GT car owners.
I'm not saying there aren't plenty of passionate turbo owners, its just the percentage is certainly less than GT car owners. Hard to dispute that fact, or the fact that there are unfortunately more poseur GT car owners recently because of the accessibility of the 991 generation.

Originally Posted by JFA65
Different strokes for different folks. Turbo S is a great street car that happens to be a good track car. GT3 is a great track car that happens to be a good road car. Pick your poison. Cant go wrong. Both are great at what they do and good at the rest.
This sums up the difference nicely. Both are great cars.

Last edited by Drifting; 03-25-2017 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:16 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Don't do it CJ. Just get a 991gt2rs.
I think you missed the part where he said 'to pass sound at Laguna'...
Old 03-25-2017, 05:37 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I think you missed the part where he said 'to pass sound at Laguna'...
Gt2rs should sound like a vacuum cleaner with the turbos added. 😂
Old 03-25-2017, 06:05 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All good cars.
I traded my 2015 GT3 for a 2015 TTS for additional CPO till 2020. I tracked the GT3 about 20x
I track a 2016 GT4 with Cantrell bar and 6pt schroth harness.
Nice to have choices. Wife has a 2005 manual boxster. We daily drive SUVs due to all the texting going on. Idiots.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:20 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapis
this misses my point. I've never disputed that the TTS is faster. I don't care which care is fastest on track or 0-60. I only care about which car I enjoy driving the most and that makes the occasion of driving it feel special and rewarding. The GT3 does that for me better than the TTS, even if the Tts leaves me in the dust.
+1

sounds like he is the one who is "wee bit sensitive"
we are on the same team, remember?

smh about the school boy ultimatum too
Old 03-25-2017, 06:24 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I loved my turbo when I had it but I had to modify it too look like I wanted and sound better. I would still have a turbo if they were more aggressive looking (sit lower, better off set, nicer arrow kit) from the factory. Also if there was some way to get that them to sound like a NA car. And this is why I went GT3. Done modding cars. Just want to drive them.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:51 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban

1) delete rear seats
3) sunroof delete
4) PTS
5) keep muffler
6) bucket seats

Does Porsche of Colorado still have the Pikes Peak 991TT?
That would make a fun Laguna car. (And Pikes Peak, And Targa NL etc..)
Old 03-25-2017, 08:13 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I like them all. A 991 turbo is an amazing car.

The problem is,
If you don't track? Why not get a comfortable 500-600hp sedan?
Audi RS7
BMW M
AMG
Panamera turbo

For street use my wife's BMW X5M is plenty fast and handles well enough for any road. Dog and kids might be throwing up in the back.
But, sure plenty agile for any canyon road.

I like comfort on the road and no comfort on track.
S63coupe

Don't do it CJ. Just get a 991gt2rs. 👍

Gt2rs should sound like a vacuum cleaner with the turbos added. 😂
But how will it sound going down the front straight at Sebring with straight pipes..

Quick Reply: Drove new Turbo and turbo today... underwhelmed