Sponsored by:

LED vs Standard Xenon Brightness

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 04:33 PM
pdudek
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This video has some great information.

Would someone know whether there is data available of light measurements at a greater distance than 10ft?
It would be good to understand how Xenon vs. LED operate at further distances especially with the high beams turned on. Reason I ask, depending on the beam distribution the light can act quite a bit different on objects at different distances.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:15 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

The problem I am having is a Boxster was following me and it had Xenon with the (4) dots in the middle as the DRLs. Really prefer that look over the LED ones. But - I also want Black Headlights. Why do they do this??
Old 03-24-2017, 10:39 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,742 Likes on 4,765 Posts

Originally Posted by ilovecarbs
Anyone figure out how to code the LED's to ROW brightness yet?
Originally Posted by bronson7
I didn't know, is it even possible?
Originally Posted by ilovecarbs
Not sure about Porsche's but the BMW guys do it all the time
Originally Posted by GrantG
Maybe the Durametric device would let you re-program the lights to a brighter setting?
Maybe, the Durametric.

But not the PIWIS.

Tried, no work. Or maybe we were not doing it right.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:50 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
The problem I am having is a Boxster was following me and it had Xenon with the (4) dots in the middle as the DRLs. Really prefer that look over the LED ones. But - I also want Black Headlights. Why do they do this??
So much agreement here. I'm fine to wait until the first cars are delivered and we can see what the options are. I'd pay more for the black, but not for the LED lights.

I wonder why they can't make the LED DRL look like the new Xenon design? Does someone at Porsche think the big ring/lights looks better than the tight cluster?
Old 03-25-2017, 07:36 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can someone tell what is that part of the headlight just below xenon projector? It looks like a turn indicator but at least with LEDs headlights the turn indicator is in the bumper.
If it is in fact the turn indicator, is it LED or traditional light bulb?
Old 03-25-2017, 07:50 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by qbix
You don't get anti-dazzle feature in GT3 even in ROW (at least Europe). I don't know about other 911 models but GT3 for some reason don't have it. I have it in my BMW LEDs and its amazing although not always every opposite traffic is happy about it (mostly due to their weak halogen lights).
I have this in the 991.2 S (LED PDLS plus in black) it is a great use of technology to deliver a practical outcome - I would imagine it will be available on the .2 GT3 (or an option)
Old 03-25-2017, 07:51 AM
randr
Banned

Originally Posted by MJones
Note from the new Panamera:

Note:
Full LED-Matrix functionality (individual operation of 84 LEDs) is limited for the US market. Individual LEDs are programmed to operate as a single light source to perform the functions listed above.
Thats crazy.........is this a case of legislation trailing useful and effective technology?
Old 03-25-2017, 10:30 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Once again here in NA we don't get the full effect of the LED's as compared to RW. I'd like to know why? I agree with the above comment, " Is this a case of legislation trailing useful and effective technology".
Old 03-25-2017, 10:51 AM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

According to a June 2015 Road & Track article:
DOT rules permit a low beam, a high beam, and nothing in between. Two years ago, Toyota petitioned to allow ADBs. Audi joined in, along with archrivals BMW and Mercedes. "This isn't about competition," says Wolfgang Huhn, Audi's director of lighting development. "It benefits everyone."

NHTSA agrees, calling the ability to see properly at night "a key element of highway safety for all drivers." The agency is currently researching how glare affects motorists who encounter ADB-equipped vehicles. Couldn't it just look to European standards—as it should have back in the sealed-beam days? Apparently not. "The European standard utilizes a series of subjective tests that rely on the opinion of a test driver," NHTSA said in a statement. "This approach does not meet the requirements for NHTSA to adopt practicable performance requirements in an objective way that manufacturers can utilize in self-certifcation of their vehicles."
Old 03-26-2017, 10:43 PM
qbix
Burning Brakes

so no one knows? I am considering Xenons this time but need to know! Thanks!
Old 03-26-2017, 11:18 PM
randr
Banned

Originally Posted by qbix
You don't get anti-dazzle feature in GT3 even in ROW (at least Europe). I don't know about other 911 models but GT3 for some reason don't have it. I have it in my BMW LEDs and its amazing although not always every opposite traffic is happy about it (mostly due to their weak halogen lights).
^^^
Are you sure as I have these on my 991.2C2S (LED PDLS+ in black - they have a full auto dim/field change - when activated there is a green A in the main dial) - perhaps they weren't available on the .1 GT3
Old 03-27-2017, 03:18 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice video but respectfully disagree on high beam results.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:32 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by randr
^^^
Are you sure as I have these on my 991.2C2S (LED PDLS+ in black - they have a full auto dim/field change - when activated there is a green A in the main dial) - perhaps they weren't available on the .1 GT3
Yes, I am sure. There is noting stated in the manual neither. LED PDLS. The only function AUTO has is that when it gets dark the lights go from day mode to night mode. That's it. And of course the beam follows steering wheel and changes shape depending on the speed. My car is German market.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:46 PM
Righty
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im wondering if people are able to code the headlight for the ones with matrix headlight to make it work like it does in Europe because the headlight unit looks like the same one as Europe. Also if BMWs are able to code them to work in US what is stopping someone else to code the matrix headlight to work in US too?(for Panamera with matrix headlight)
Old 07-11-2017, 07:34 PM
CYKBC
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

BMW LEDs are horrible on my M4. They cheaped out by going with a reflective lens design v. projector.

It's back to the year 2000, again. I'm glad my 911 has the quad LED stacks, though I do prefer the tighter 4-pin LED DRL featured in the dated looking HID setup.

Quick Reply: LED vs Standard Xenon Brightness