Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

.2 GT3 - Lift or no lift??

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 12:11 AM
mongolikecandy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i would not even consider a car without a lift...it would be difficult getting in and out of my driveway! I agree with Drifting, check with some local people who do not have the lift. you may find that you need it more than you think you do.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:27 AM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 79 Posts

Not necessary...

Upon further reflection it really depends on the condition of the roads where you usually hang.

Last edited by Nacelle; 03-15-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:45 AM
SC62
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The way I see it, there are three considerations:

1. Can you live with it if you scratch the lower lip?

2. Can you get the car through your typical routine/favorite driving routes without encountering any steep approach or departure angles?

3. Do you mind spending the extra time laying out ramps to get the car on and off trailers?

If you can answer yes to all three then I would not bother ordering it. The 991.2 seems to have less lip anyway.

I would love a break down of weights for all the optional parts: full leather, seats, radio/nav, a/c, lift etc.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:00 AM
mmm951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SC62

2. Can you get the car through your typical routine/favorite driving routes without encountering any steep approach or departure angles?

3. Do you mind spending the extra time laying out ramps to get the car on and off trailers?

If you can answer yes to all three then I would not bother ordering it. The 991.2 seems to have less lip anyway.

I would love a break down of weights for all the optional parts: full leather, seats, radio/nav, a/c, lift etc.
I agree

If you are going to track your car, have a steep driveway, or drive on crappy roads with huge speed bumps, then it is a great option. This is an option I have had on all of my GT3's. I would spend more on replacing the front lip and other damage that may occur as opposed to just paying for the option.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:47 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SC62

Originally Posted by mmm951
I agree

If you are going to track your car, have a steep driveway, or drive on crappy roads with huge speed bumps, then it is a great option. This is an option I have had on all of my GT3's. I would spend more on replacing the front lip and other damage that may occur as opposed to just paying for the option.
These two summarize all you need to know. Some definitely need it, some don't.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:10 AM
golden1911
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

get it if you care about resale.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:22 AM
JKGT3
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always find solace in this forum , as its not only me that has the same hardship in making decision on the plethora of options that Porsche confuses us with , stupid Lifts , LED vs Xenon lights , Sofa vs LW seats...and as we get more into the .2 I am sure we will resurrect most of the same questions from the .1....
Anyway
If it helps you decide , and lets you sleep at night , here is my 2cents , or 3k ...So on my current 991.1 GT3 I never ordered it ( why...cause I was cheap ) and was a bitch getting it up my driveway. Sure I made it up on an angle which I basically cut my neighbors grass on, and yes , I scrapped it and yes it bothered me and worse .....At every Porsche meet I need that 1 guy to say........if ya would of installed the lift your lip wouldn't be so scratched up.......why don't you go F yourself. Needless to say I ordered the 991.2 GT3 with the lift,
Old 03-15-2017, 10:33 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,274 Likes on 528 Posts

A front end lift is like a insurance policy, one don't normally needed it, but when the time comes one would be glad to have it.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:53 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 650 Likes on 312 Posts

No lift here in FL. Haven't scraped once on either my .1 GT# or my RS. 997 on the other hand will scrape everywhere!
Old 03-15-2017, 10:56 AM
GT234RS
Intermediate

I had the lift on my first GT3. Useless thing, no matter in house or apartment underground, as least in my city...
Old 03-15-2017, 11:05 AM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 342 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Depends on your area. Ask local drivers of the .1 GT3 for their opinion. Different height, and overhand for all 997 GT models, GT4, and the 991 RS models, so those opinions don't matter.

Just ask local drivers of the .1 GT3.

For example, I would never buy or drive a 991 GT3 without a lift in Southern California or the Bay Area, however I didn't really need the lift when I lived in surburban Philadelphia.
^ This. If you have hills, it's an easy decision; I used the lift every time I drove it. Flat as a pancake? Skip it.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:14 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Some can live without it, some can't live without it. I agree with the "insurance policy" quote.

Plus good option for resale. Never heard of anyone passing on a car because it had a lift, but some do if it doesn't.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:23 AM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 103 Posts

Here is another way to look at it. Whether you have a lift or not, you're going to scrape the front lip. The lip is relatively cheap to replace and install about $250.

That said, in rare cases a lifter would make sense. That would depend on your driveway and home area. However, on the road it is impossible to anticipate all the low points and often if you had the lift it wouldn't make difference.

Where I am confident a lift would make a difference is in resale. Selling a car privately a car with a lift will sell faster. I turn my cars back to the dealer, so it's not an issue for me.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:35 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 257 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by GT234RS
I had the lift on my first GT3. Useless thing, no matter in house or apartment underground, as least in my city...
In Oakville Cus I am in toronto and I know I will rip the FB right off.. My driveway will murder it. My office tower's parking garage will murder it.. Visiting friends in the city, streets which almost all have speed bumps I know if I visit tracks close to cities like ottawa or montreal, I will def need it..
So I have no choice but to pay so I don't have to pray..
Old 03-15-2017, 11:45 AM
Lukas_at
Intermediate

I live in the DC area and use it every day multiple times. I even scrape sometimes with the lift up ... no idea how people can drive such a car without lift around down town ... but really depends where you live ...

Quick Reply: .2 GT3 - Lift or no lift??