Sponsored by:

991 GT3 brake ISSUES non pccb PCNA modded brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 08:16 PM
Leftlanenick
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991 GT3 brake ISSUES non pccb PCNA modded brakes

I own a 2015 gt3 non PCCB car and have had an issue with the brakes making above normal brake squealing. I have had the car in multiple times to be looked at and the dealer even agrees that it is an above normal noise. They have taken the brakes off 2 times for cleaning and greasing of shims / components. The noise continued so the dealer went back to Porsche customer care along with the area field service rep asking what to do. The rep instructed the dealer to send the rotors out and have them resurfaced (crossed drilled) along with put new pads on the vehicle all the way around. He then instructed the dealer to place a cut in the pad material creating a two piece pad in theory. I told the dealer I was not OK with the resurfacing of the rotors or with the modification of the OEM pads. I notified customer service of this as well and while waiting for a response (3days) the dealer called me and said "your car is done". When I was told that the protested repair was done I refused to sign the paperwork and took my car home. The squeal was still present but only after the brakes warmed up. A few days later the dealer asked me to bring the car back as an engineer from brembo was coming by for a separate issue and they wanted them to examine the vehicle. Upon informing the engineer of what was done he told the dealer that the rotors are not designed to be resurfaced and the pads should not be cut. He was not willing to examine the car after they explained what was done. I contacted customer car back again and they told me they were no longer willing to participate in this matter and anything further would be at my expense. They offered me $2500 to sign a non disclosure and hold harmless but I refused. I have spent the last four months speaking with Porsche dealers across the country and NOT one dealer has told me they have performed this type of modification to the brakes. It doesn't exist in and repair manual or bulletin that anyone has been able to find either. My questions to everyone are basically this.

1) anyone else having this issue?

2) has anyone had or heard of Porsche modifying brakes like this?

3) Anyone aware of this being an approved repair or documentation?

Internal doc from Porsche is attached showing people were not on board with this.

Thank you in advance
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
porsche internal doc gt3.pdf (1.20 MB, 274 views)
Old 01-19-2018, 12:32 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never heard of such actions like this. Seems unusual for sure. Keep us updated on where they take it.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:58 AM
rxtrom
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It seems unreasonable for Porsche to just say that they are no longer going to participate in the case for you, there has to be something else going on. I have seen PCNA jump through hoops on other lesser issues. The squeak issue may have been minor at the beginning but after the brake modification it may be a bigger issue now. Do you have video of the squeak? It may be a small investment to buy a gopro and mount to get it on video and send it to PCNA or post it here to get more help.

Have you asked for them to just put stock rotors and pads on and possibly take it do a different dealer to do the work?
Old 01-19-2018, 11:24 AM
Leftlanenick
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by rxtrom
It seems unreasonable for Porsche to just say that they are no longer going to participate in the case for you, there has to be something else going on. I have seen PCNA jump through hoops on other lesser issues. The squeak issue may have been minor at the beginning but after the brake modification it may be a bigger issue now. Do you have video of the squeak? It may be a small investment to buy a gopro and mount to get it on video and send it to PCNA or post it here to get more help.

Have you asked for them to just put stock rotors and pads on and possibly take it do a different dealer to do the work?
The dealer and I took my car to a parking lot and took video along with sound recordings. PCNA had the dealer download an app to record the frequency of the sound and send it to them as well. It was at that time they proposed the modification was done to my vehicle. I asked for my car to be turned back to OEM stock but was told it would be at my cost. It's truly disappointing to see how this has been handled. I own 4 other 911's and have had many others over the years and I have never had one that had brake noises like this one. PCNA response was as follows:

Good Morning Mr. Lazar,

I am sorry to learn that you are experiencing unwanted brake noise from your GT3. As I am not a technical resource I do not provide technical advise on repairs for any vehicle issue. I do work ensure that a dealership service center uses all of their resources in an effort to repair a vehicle, and as such your issue of brake noise has been escalated and reviewed by technicians of the highest level within Porsche Cars North America. Porsche would be able to continue to evaluate your concerns and Porsche Cars North America would be able to continue to provide technical advise, however, we would not be in a position to continue to provide continued financial resources toward this concern.

Our efforts thus far have been working toward making your experience better, the brakes on your vehicle were performing as designed and there was no malfunction to repair; our work was toward making your driving experience more pleasing.

Kind regards,

Richard Cook
Old 01-19-2018, 04:17 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Vendor

Location: Reno/McCarran, NV - Bay Area, CA - NW Burbs of Chicago, IL
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe it's a very silly question but have you ever properly bedded the brakes in? How is the car typically driven?

-Matt M.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:05 PM
Leftlanenick
3rd Gear

Matt

i made the head tech drive the car home for 2 days because I didn’t want them to accuse me of not bedding the pads correctly so he agreed to do so. I’ve been going back and forth with the dealer for over a year on the issue. I don’t track my car but do a lot of freeway driving and back and forth to my office.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:08 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

At the very least, the dealership (or PCNA) should put new pads and rotors on your car at their expense. Particularly since they messed them up!

When we had excess brake noise with an Audi, they put new calipers, rotors and pads on all 4 corners under warranty. Should be no different here assuming the noise is not the normal GT3 brakes.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:01 PM
St8haus
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you make any head-way with PCNA? My 2016 non-PCCB GT3 is making some VERY loud screaming/squealing (I say screaming because if anyone is outside they immediately look in the direction of the loud squeaking)...car only has 2k miles on it, never tracked...

Anyone else having this issue? A little squeak is expected, but the loud squealing is not!
Old 02-26-2018, 04:04 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 brake ISSUES non pccb PCNA modded brakes