Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 06:26 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I love all the opinions on use and wishes.

can we just agree that RS stands for “it needs to be as close to race car as Porsche can sell legally and it needs to be used on track, while being as comfortable as possible to drive to the track and back and cheaper to run then a race car under warranty”?
Old 12-21-2017, 06:29 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Deleted
Old 12-21-2017, 06:31 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
Legit question for you on your comment about Porsche thinking about liability on having an adjustable system. How do companies like McLaren, Lamborghini or Ferrari (Yes I used the F-word in the same sentence at McLaren) get away with having an adjustable TC system but Porsche is worried about being sued? My reason for asking is I have seen more Ferraris and Lambos in videos crashing into crowds than I have Porsches. I do understand the fear from the lawsuit in the Paul Walker case. To me it is sad that a car company has to worry about how a car is going to be used once it is outside of their control especially a performance brand like Porsche.

Since I haven't really said what I would like in a GT RS road car in the future here are my specs:

Must weigh 3000-3050lbs wet
4.0L motor with 500-550 hp in NA trim and a 8500-9000 RPM redline
Forego carpet for floor liners/mats similar to Ferrari on the 360 Stadele/430 Scuderia
Manual or PDK but go with a LTW clutch/flywheel combo
Definitely a rollbar like Europe
Wheel size similar to Cup Cars so we get get decent track tires
Alcantara interior with leather optional
Rear suspension is cup style without any gimmicky motors. Do like the 996/997 where cup car parts would also fit on the cars if the owner desired and offer them an upgrade of motorsports parts
Sport fixed buckets only
Manual roll up windows
LTW windows from the Carrera T
Make the RS the track/street version of the GT3

And make it a limited number since we know the market for this spartan a car is small. Give preference to owners who actually keep, track or drive their GT cars and have a history of doing so. If dealers are worried about us owners making money on the car after we buy it then put a clause in the contract that it is a lease or we can't sell for a certain period of time.
you young, fit professional ones....
Old 12-21-2017, 11:04 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

I get what you are saying but I don't think these type of adjustments are that bad. My thoughts on the adjustable traction control would be user selected and tuned down compared to a race system until you get to all off. When the dial says 0 then you have 0 intervention. I don't see most guys messing with it but it really inst' that much harder to do than what we currently have with the two step system.

For the adjustable bars I don't see this as a reality and most guys would never touch them. My thoughts on this would be for the serious track guy, like Trak car or yourself, then you could do some fine tuning of the car throughout the day to which suits your driving style. The adjustments would be easy so you don't have to pull the CL wheels off the car to make the changes. It wouldn't be like tuning shocks with some clicks which can really send you in the wrong direction fast. And to me this is a better usable tool and marketing strategy than doing rear steer like they are now. Be the first to implement the coolest track setup and make it a part of your marketing since Lambo beat Porsche to active aero.
i get you
and i lvoe to have some of those items in the car
but i think CJ is on something; as manufacturer, they will have liabilities and also casue undue extra work with dealer net work. i can see my wife call up dealer..,. my car hit the garage door, is it bc the left green button is not green anymore... you laugh... as brilliant as a harvard MD she is, she calls me up... "the thing in front of the steering wheel (she means the dashboard)... has a red light blinking.... what do i do...."

i am thinking WTF, you call me for. RTFM...
how would i know based on your decriptoion of the probl.....

now with more adjustabilities, the dealers service dpt will get more of these (albeit less stupid) questions...

i am just being devils advocate. if it's me, i want all the goodies....
and i will be calling you to help dial in the 8 way shocks ;-)
Old 12-21-2017, 11:49 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,767 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
They settled for PR reasons. Nothing more.
You base that statement on what, may I ask?

If it's just your own conjecture and supposition, which you're completely entitled to, please qualify it as such.

Otherwise pontificating such platitudes as fact does no one any good.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:25 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Dealing with clients in high profile litigation for a living and a pretty good understanding of products liability laws. No personal knowledge of the case (if I was involved I would obviously say nothing). My point in responding was to counter the statement that a **** was a liability issue.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:47 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

I think the Euro government as a whole is just as focused on antitrust type worries, emissions concerns, vehicle noise limits, electric vehicles, etc as it can possibly be- and Porsche, is the target by association with the VW group. As a dealer- I can see a HUGE difference in how Audi/Porsches are scrutinized VS BMW- they have danced away from all the bad press that Audi/VW got For emissions/ DieselGate. Bmw didn't **** anything up like VW did on the TDI thing and so their cars simply show up to port, are then summarily sent to dealers. VERY COMMON PROBLEM for audi and porsche new models or new Model Year (2018 Landing in July )at port, being delayed 4 months+

Every issue with your Porsche cars being late: extra scrutiny on emissions. Porsche is already in the penalty box thanks to VW being their parent company which is BS since Porsche only has ever had 1 diesel vehicle in the lineup!
Old 12-22-2017, 10:28 AM
major dad
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Somewhere I read that modern electric motors can be made so small and light that having electric windows does not add significant weight.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:26 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I love all the opinions on use and wishes.

can we just agree that RS stands for “it needs to be as close to race car as Porsche can sell legally and it needs to be used on track, while being as comfortable as possible to drive to the track and back and cheaper to run then a race car under warranty”?
I'm good with all this right up to the "comfortable as possible" part because now we're right back to where we are at the moment with the existing 22 911 offerings. There's room for something more track focused without the luxury bits.

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I think the Euro government as a whole is just as focused on antitrust type worries, emissions concerns, vehicle noise limits, electric vehicles, etc as it can possibly be- and Porsche, is the target by association with the VW group. As a dealer- I can see a HUGE difference in how Audi/Porsches are scrutinized VS BMW- they have danced away from all the bad press that Audi/VW got For emissions/ DieselGate. Bmw didn't **** anything up like VW did on the TDI thing and so their cars simply show up to port, are then summarily sent to dealers. VERY COMMON PROBLEM for audi and porsche new models or new Model Year (2018 Landing in July )at port, being delayed 4 months+

Every issue with your Porsche cars being late: extra scrutiny on emissions. Porsche is already in the penalty box thanks to VW being their parent company which is BS since Porsche only has ever had 1 diesel vehicle in the lineup!
This is the really sad part. They won't provide adequate protection for their track-focused clients because they're worried about being sued, which BTW will happen anyway, but they have no problem deliberately violating the law to try to save money. Forest for the trees guys, forest for the trees. And before any pipes up and says it wasn't Porsche, take a look at the list of executives taken out by this scandal. Like it not all of VAG is in this one together.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:24 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i get you
and i lvoe to have some of those items in the car
but i think CJ is on something; as manufacturer, they will have liabilities and also casue undue extra work with dealer net work. i can see my wife call up dealer..,. my car hit the garage door, is it bc the left green button is not green anymore... you laugh... as brilliant as a harvard MD she is, she calls me up... "the thing in front of the steering wheel (she means the dashboard)... has a red light blinking.... what do i do...."

i am thinking WTF, you call me for. RTFM...
how would i know based on your decriptoion of the probl.....

now with more adjustabilities, the dealers service dpt will get more of these (albeit less stupid) questions...

i am just being devils advocate. if it's me, i want all the goodies....
and i will be calling you to help dial in the 8 way shocks ;-)
Haha your wife and my wife would get along great when it comes to cars.
When my friends and I start talking about cars all my wife hears is "Blah, Blah, blah."

The intent of my list and the conversation is to establish that the RS should be the track version of the 911. It isn't a car meant for the masses but the ones that want to use the car for the intent Porsche markets their cars. We see the racing ads they put out so why not have a street legal car to do just that and only those consumers will be buyers of the car. Yes I know the adjustments of the car could create some service issue like you mentioned but it would be nice for a dealership to not just be interested in only selling cars but expanding their thinking to create experiences for their customers. Give the sales people and the service department the means and knowledge to support customers with track oriented cars especially if the dealership is a GT car source.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:51 AM
Golden Boy
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Anyone hear any real info on the 991.2 GT3RS? I think the OP said their dealer,cleaning lady or gardener or someone was going to get some concrete info by the end of December
Old 12-23-2017, 12:58 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Haha your wife and my wife would get along great when it comes to cars.
When my friends and I start talking about cars all my wife hears is "Blah, Blah, blah."

The intent of my list and the conversation is to establish that the RS should be the track version of the 911. It isn't a car meant for the masses but the ones that want to use the car for the intent Porsche markets their cars. We see the racing ads they put out so why not have a street legal car to do just that and only those consumers will be buyers of the car. Yes I know the adjustments of the car could create some service issue like you mentioned but it would be nice for a dealership to not just be interested in only selling cars but expanding their thinking to create experiences for their customers. Give the sales people and the service department the means and knowledge to support customers with track oriented cars especially if the dealership is a GT car source.
YES!
" the sales people and the service department the means and knowledge to support customers with track oriented cars especially if the dealership is a GT car source"
Old 12-23-2017, 02:24 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

I WANT MY DEALERSHIP TO DO THAT TOO
Old 12-23-2017, 05:04 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by major dad
Somewhere I read that modern electric motors can be made so small and light that having electric windows does not add significant weight.
The electric windows allow frameless doors, which don't seal very well with manual winders. The window drops slightly as you pull the door handle and then up again when the door is shut.

I would say the electric version is overall lighter as you don't need frames. Plus the actuator can be where it needs to be for efficiency and wired to the switch rather than a mechanical connection to the hand winder. Frameless also means better aero and lower noise.

So electric ones are basically better all round. But windies are cooler.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:02 PM
CHADW
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I just got word from Porsche that my Turbo S Hybrid Panny that is at the Jacksonville port already will not be available until AT LEAST MAY. This is absolutely due to Dieselgate.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 RS