Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: 991.2 GT3 - Will you be ordering Manual or PDK?
MANUAL
60.75%
PDK
39.25%
Voters: 372. You may not vote on this poll

991.2 GT3 - Will you be ordering Manual or PDK?

Old 03-16-2017, 04:51 PM
timwu12
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Great...when the 991.1 GT3 came out with a pdk transmission only,the Kool-Aid drinkers used PAG's cheap propaganda about " too fast spinning engines ", " no production capacity " and " pdk fitting the character of that engine " to spin off people's opinions about the missing choice. Absolute horses**t,as it turned out 4 years later. Now they are using " reliability " and " driver's error " to spin it according to their beliefs. That is absolutely ridiculous!
i'm seeing this as well...at first, i figured the ppl talking trash about the PDK were the manual diehard lovers.

now that there's an option for both, ppl are ****ting on the manual as being the inferior option and to not pick it despite 99% of the ppl with the .1 saying they wanted it.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:21 PM
A418t81
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Great...when the 991.1 GT3 came out with a pdk transmission only,the Kool-Aid drinkers used PAG's cheap propaganda about " too fast spinning engines ", " no production capacity " and " pdk fitting the character of that engine " to spin off people's opinions about the missing choice. Absolute horses**t,as it turned out 4 years later. Now they are using " reliability " and " driver's error " to spin it according to their beliefs. That is absolutely ridiculous!
Really the only truly ridiculous part of this entire thread is your rants and absurd allegories about cars you don't own. It is fun to think about both options now that there is a choice. You aren't changing anybody's mind. Retire the theatrics.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:34 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

I'd love to have one of each.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:49 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Nobody?
I have spun the GT3 with TC off. It stayed in gear but turned TC back on. Can't say if it's the same behavior in all GT3s though since my car is peculiar with regards to TC (can't use launch control with TC off).
Old 03-17-2017, 10:48 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Question about warranty. If let's say you track your new GT3 all the time, and wear out the clutch in your manual. Isn't that a non warranty repair? Now what happen if your PDK fails for doing the same thing?

I guess i am wondering if there will be increased repair expense with manual?
Old 03-17-2017, 10:52 AM
timwu12
Instructor

Originally Posted by robmypro
Question about warranty. If let's say you track your new GT3 all the time, and wear out the clutch in your manual. Isn't that a non warranty repair? Now what happen if your PDK fails for doing the same thing?

the clutch is a wear item, so like brake pads, there's no way it'd be covered under warranty if you wore it out by launching it at the track all the time. If it wore unevenly and created a vibration, then it might be warrantied.

I don't know if there's anything that's serviceable about the PDK system, there was a video a few years back that showed an auto journalist launching it 50 times in a row bc Porsche said it could take it, so he tried it, and it worked time and time again for the 50 launches.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:59 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by timwu12
the clutch is a wear item, so like brake pads, there's no way it'd be covered under warranty if you wore it out by launching it at the track all the time. If it wore unevenly and created a vibration, then it might be warrantied.

I don't know if there's anything that's serviceable about the PDK system, there was a video a few years back that showed an auto journalist launching it 50 times in a row bc Porsche said it could take it, so he tried it, and it worked time and time again for the 50 launches.
I remember that video! I think it was in a Turbo. So if the PDK fails, it is covered under warranty, while the manual clutch is a wear item, correct?
Old 03-17-2017, 11:01 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 224 Likes on 127 Posts

Clutch is a wear item. When driven properly, your clutch should outlast your motor.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:03 AM
timwu12
Instructor

I remember that video! I think it was in a Turbo. So if the PDK fails, it is covered under warranty, while the manual clutch is a wear item, correct?
that's been my understanding which is why it's making it so hard to choose which one!

on one hand, who doesn't love to row the gears in a manual, on the other hand, manual transmissions are considered archaic technology in the heavily electronic world of DCTs so you'd have to be ok with picking old technology and having to pay to remove the transmission at certain intervals to replace the clutch, throw out bearings, and anything else that needs servicing
Old 03-17-2017, 11:07 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by RealityGT
Clutch is a wear item. When driven properly, your clutch should outlast your motor.
Yeah, but that isn't exactly saying much with the 991.1 lol.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:09 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by timwu12
that's been my understanding which is why it's making it so hard to choose which one!

on one hand, who doesn't love to row the gears in a manual, on the other hand, manual transmissions are considered archaic technology in the heavily electronic world of DCTs so you'd have to be ok with picking old technology and having to pay to remove the transmission at certain intervals to replace the clutch, throw out bearings, and anything else that needs servicing
Agreed. Tough choice. But I can tell you this after one track day. PDK or bust in this household.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:13 AM
timwu12
Instructor

Agreed. Tough choice. But I can tell you this after one track day. PDK or bust in this household.
the dealer gave me a 718 cayman s with PDK as a loaner once and it blew my mind! And to think, that was only with 325hp, haha
Old 03-17-2017, 11:26 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 224 Likes on 127 Posts

Yeah, but that isn't exactly saying much with the 991.1 lol.
LMAO!!!!!
Old 03-17-2017, 12:02 PM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I'd love to have one of each.
LOL

Final answer...
Old 03-17-2017, 12:35 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,701 Likes on 2,682 Posts

I've had 7 manual Porsches and tracked them all. Some had lots of miles. I've never had to replace a clutch - A little mechanical sympathy and good technique go a long way...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 - Will you be ordering Manual or PDK?