Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: 991.2 GT3 - Will you be ordering Manual or PDK?
MANUAL
60.75%
PDK
39.25%
Voters: 372. You may not vote on this poll

991.2 GT3 - Will you be ordering Manual or PDK?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 05:20 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Lol! Come on Bronson,you've never done it?! If you don't have to use your right hand for shifting,you can reach over...and that's all I'm going to say!
I initially laughed at this and then remembered I have a daughter and started to cry.

Mental note - future boyfriends can only drive manual cars.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:41 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

I would be surprised if actual produced cars are more than 20% manual. The reality distortion field on Rennlist is strong.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:09 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lol! Come on Bronson,you've never done it?! If you don't have to use your right hand for shifting,you can reach over...and that's all I'm going to say!
Okay, maybe only once.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:14 PM
Leica 993
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tangerine
I would be surprised if actual produced cars are more than 20% manual. The reality distortion field on Rennlist is strong.
Ding! Ding! Ding! The scarcity of the 911R MT thing wreaked havoc on psyches as well. There are plenty of manuals to go around if you want them. When it comes time to place that order for the fastest GT3 ever built, the PDK box will win the day.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:47 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,792 Likes on 4,779 Posts

A manual transmission neuters the quiddity of the 991 GT3.

Sort of like buying a bottle of Chateau Mouton-Rothschild, and drinking it out of a paper cup, with a straw.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:06 AM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Manual
Old 03-16-2017, 01:45 AM
Cyrek
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

MT PTS
Old 03-16-2017, 02:38 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Yeah, but if my right hand isn't resting on the shifter because my GT3 is PDK, that means nothing is blocking her from reaching over to my side during a nighttime drive..........

Last edited by Drifting; 03-16-2017 at 04:03 AM.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:57 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
A manual transmission neuters the quiddity of the 991 GT3.

Sort of like buying a bottle of Chateau Mouton-Rothschild, and drinking it out of a paper cup, with a straw.

Originally Posted by Just in time
5 hdcp here. Gave up on musclebacks long time ago, went with forged cavities. Technology advancement it is called. Made my game easier, I can now concentrate on scoring rather that hitting the sweet spot.

I wonder what happens in 3O years when the kids grow up and become the future car buyers. Classic MT cars will be relegated to the very few that know how to shift...heck that may already be the case. I have seen kids befuddled by a car key...all they know is to press the start button. I grew up shifting, matching gears w/o using the clutch...by ear and ***. Love MT by I have discovered technological advancement that makes my driving easier...it is called PDK. MTs are great, nothing wrong with them. Very involving, hopefully no mistakes. Whatever satisfies each of us. Hopefully no CVT in the future for Porsche.
forged cavity back is great!
but hey, IMAGE is everything. you walk out with a #1 iron MP14 in the bag, they think the old tiger is back ;-). until you shank it 50 yard to the right into the hazard and killing the duck in the pond. i heard a lot of ppl "money shift" with MT but they do look great while money shifting.

u got it all wrong.
u must be way younger than us.
we old farts let the girl drive, so we have BOTH hands, lips and other stuff on her.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:59 AM
80s
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Must say im NOT STOKED about the idea of not having to lift of the gas!

Im getting a feeling the MT GT3 really is a pdk with three pedals and a toy MT. Still there is lots of time probably to change ones mind, our cars in sweden are supposed to arrive really late, like december....

Im thinking way too much about this car. This night i dreamt how it sounded at 6000+ revs, it was awesome!
Old 03-16-2017, 04:08 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

^ manual if you konw how to drive it is very cool too.
it's best to get one of each
now if i can land two allocations....
Old 03-16-2017, 05:34 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I'll take the PDKS in this corner of the country.
On twisty roads I like a louder, lower HP manual, but there aren't any twisty roads here.

We know the manual will be slower on track compared to the PDKS car. There is personal preference but what about wear and maintenance?

I have not had overrevs in manual GT3's but PDKS eliminates the risk of a money shift, or at least some overrevs. Having overrevs from hitting the rev limiter in a 997 GT3 seems a fable to me.
I've hit the rev limiters in all GT3 numerous times, including (Specially) the 991RS. I'll do a DME read out soon @16,000 miles.

Auto blip in the GT4, R and 991.2 GT3 will save on clutch wear, I suppose.
997's need the uprated clutch and pressure plate from the 4.0 and still they will fail (Not wear) from heat cycles, I wonder if this is resolved?
The 997s' throw out bearing, fork and synchro's really didn't like 3-2 and 2-3 shifts when track hot, or when cold.
How does the R and GT4 shift in comparison?

Lets see what happens on the 991.2 manual with 500 HP and 7000RPM down shifts. I'd keep the auto blipper on..

What about LSD?
Do manual GT4, R and 991.2 GT3 wear out the diff quickly like on the 997's?
At least you can tune it to your liking and local track. Anyone doing this on the GT4 or R yet?

Seems we are stuck with OEM lockup in the PDKS with the E diff.
How does the E-diff wear on a PDK car? Anyone wear one out on the GT3 or RS?

How does the elimination of variable E-diff with torque vectoring affect the manual cars handling? I think that perhaps more lap time is lost due to losing the E-diff than due to lost time shifting and the need to stay in gear when cornering on the limit.

Maintenance?
I insisted on the PDKS oil change for the first year and 10,000 mile service at the local Porsche dealership, I think the largest in the country.
At first they refused, I was the first car they have ever done, took a week to get the parts..

What if you spin a PDKS? I'm used to "two feet in" to save the manual gearbox/clutch.
I haven't spun the PDKS RS yet but does the car know its spinning and declutch?
Or are we supposed to pull in both flappies to declutch the box?
Has anyone spun? Does the car stay running? In neutral, or in gear?
I cant imagine the gearbox liking going from high speed, high RPM forwards to high speed, high or low RPM backwards in gear.
If the car stays in gear and or stalls, I can see that being a problem for gearbox life.

Old 03-16-2017, 05:43 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Interesting thoughts. I agree on PDK choice. I was a manual guy, but after experiencing PDK-S in my .1 GT3, I'll be getting PDK again for my .2 GT3.

The early PDK oil change is interesting. How many of those first 10,000 miles were track miles? I do plan to keep the .2 GT3 for a decade so I do want to keep everything working. If early PDK oil change will give me a better chance of the PDK lasting for a decade, I'd do it.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:46 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

About 6000 or so were track miles, 30 or so track days.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:53 AM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 146 Posts

Wait we can't shift without keeping our foot on the gas?? Surely it's just gives the driver the ability to do that if one wishes.

Originally Posted by 80s
Must say im NOT STOKED about the idea of not having to lift of the gas!

Im getting a feeling the MT GT3 really is a pdk with three pedals and a toy MT. Still there is lots of time probably to change ones mind, our cars in sweden are supposed to arrive really late, like december....

Im thinking way too much about this car. This night i dreamt how it sounded at 6000+ revs, it was awesome!

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 - Will you be ordering Manual or PDK?