Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which color would you order for your .2 GT3?
Black
2.96%
White
8.88%
Guards Red
8.00%
Racing Yellow
2.85%
Carrara White Metallic
3.29%
Jet Black Metallic
1.54%
Graphite Blue Metallic
6.14%
Rhodium Silver
1.54%
Sapphire Blue Metallic
5.26%
Agate Grey Metallic
3.40%
GT Silver Metallic
11.51%
Carmine Red
5.48%
Chalk / Crayon
12.28%
Lava Orange
2.63%
Miami Blue
10.64%
PTS, or take this allocation and shove it!
13.60%
Voters: 912. You may not vote on this poll

.2 GT3 COLOR POLL

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 07:38 PM
C5driver
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BCMgunner
haha... am I only one who got this??
No

Originally Posted by bigskyGT4
Just need to decide whether you prefer an M4 or bolt action for your rifle.
Both. Both is always the right answer
Old 04-17-2017, 08:21 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

In response to the poster who asked about advice on Guards Red v Chalk v Miami Blue (all with black wheels and black headlights)....

I advise against Miami Blue. When you see it in person you'll understand why. It just looks too teal. In pics it looks more blue like PTS Riviera Blue, which it is not. I also think it's a bit of a fad, and finally, it's common on other lesser 991.2 series 911s, not to mention 718 Boxster/Cayman. If you like blue, Sapphire Blue is a safer choice.

Black is safe, but I don't like the murdered out look with all black wheels and headlights. Seems a little juvenile / trying too hard. If you get black, add some contrast with satin aluminum wheels and maybe the regular silver/grey headlights. Or maybe the black wheels with red stripe at least. Or at least wheels in platinum for an understated look.

Guards Red would probably be my choice of these 3 color options you put forward, especially if you're intent on doing black wheels and headlights. GR looks great on the show car, contrasts nicely with the black accents on the car and the black wheels and headlights you said you want, and it's a classic color most like. Despite this, it's also reasonably rare in real life, so it will feel special.

I came across this 991.1 GT3 in GR while walking through my local dealer's service area recently. This shot is unedited from my iPhone 7S. At least in this light (and when so nice and clean as this car is), GR looks phenomenal.

too many white, silver and gray cars out there. Mix it up, people!

Last edited by Lapis; 04-17-2017 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:28 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Hah, I just realized i answered incompletely. I didn't talk about chalk. Instead I ranted about black...

chalk is a wildcard still. I think it has potential to be a very neat looking color on the GT3. As others have shown, it's kind of like sport classic grey, fashion grey, or nardo grey. Certainly has a dipped look. My only fear is that it may become someone common on other porsches and then won't seem special. Like Miami it's also a little close (but not a match) for popular PTS colors mentioned above and so may be thought of by some as a knock off of one of those highly regarded PTS colors.

One thing to consider... is it worth the cost? Chaulk costs over $4,000 extra vs Guards Red. Is having your GT3 in Chalk worth that to you vs having it in GR? Down the line, the GR car may actually have higher resale value vs the Chalk one all else being equal because GR will probably be more appealing to more buyers.

Personally i I don't think any of the "special" colors offered on the 991.2 are worth the hefty price premium charged for them; none are that special, carmine Red most of all.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:55 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,388 Likes on 720 Posts

^Lapis- Here are my (3) choices all which I like all equal- JBM with Satin aluminum/PCCBs, White Dials and Platinum stitching; GR with Satin Black/PCCBS, regular dials red stitching; GBM w/ Satin Black/PCCBs, White dials and platinum stitching.
Will be coming off my CR GT4 so a little hesitation going red again but I can not get enough red and JBM with Aluminim wheels would look wicked but a GBM which is not too common may look great for a change.

Your thoughts welcomed
Old 04-17-2017, 09:17 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
^Lapis- Here are my (3) choices all which I like all equal- JBM with Satin aluminum/PCCBs, White Dials and Platinum stitching; GR with Satin Black/PCCBS, regular dials red stitching; GBM w/ Satin Black/PCCBs, White dials and platinum stitching.
Will be coming off my CR GT4 so a little hesitation going red again but I can not get enough red and JBM with Aluminim wheels would look wicked but a GBM which is not too common may look great for a change.

Your thoughts welcomed
Of your 3, I like the first best. But regular black looks better (when clean) than Jet Black Metallic, and it costs $720 less, too. Use your savings toward a full clear wrap to keep it looking clean and prevent swirl marks. The platinum stitching and white dials will look great, too.

GR is classic and will look great on any GT3. However, I'm not personally a fan of a red car with yellow brake calipers....

People will regret Graphite Blue Metallic in a few years. It's on too many lesser P-cars already, and some already despairingly call it "cement".
Old 04-18-2017, 10:20 AM
OG911
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you so much Lapis. Your advise made a lot of sense. I am sticking with Gaurds red , black headlights and black wheels. Red stitching interior with red seat belts.

Do you think black wheels with red rim is a bit too much with every thing red going on in the car? or is it better just with black wheels?

I am also not sure if i should get the 18 way seats or the Full bucket seats with or without roll cage. I am selling my 991.1 Carrera S but keeping Cayanne GTS so the GT3 doesn't have to be driven everyday

I really liked how you analysed the colour delima and thought asking your advise about the red rim on the wheel and seat choice

Thank you again
Old 04-18-2017, 10:50 AM
Freddie81
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm a bit torn on the wheels too. I have sent my spec to the dealer GR/black satin wheels (no red stripe) + black headlights but I'm still not certain if I should change to platinum instead.

I decided for GR/black when I saw the picture gallery on Porsche's website where it looks astonishing. On the other hand I haven't seen the .2 with GR/platinum.

I speced with grey stitching leather b/c I personally think it gets too red overall with the red stitching. Any thoughts? Thanks
Old 04-18-2017, 11:08 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Freddie81
I'm a bit torn on the wheels too. I have sent my spec to the dealer GR/black satin wheels (no red stripe) + black headlights but I'm still not certain if I should change to platinum instead.

I decided for GR/black when I saw the picture gallery on Porsche's website where it looks astonishing. On the other hand I haven't seen the .2 with GR/platinum.

I speced with grey stitching leather b/c I personally think it gets too red overall with the red stitching. Any thoughts? Thanks
the pic I posted above of the GR .1GT3 with platinum wheels should be helpful to make the call on wheel color choice for .2GT3. Fundamentally there's little difference. Again, I think contrast is key to make a car really pop. So with GR, I'd go with either satin aluminum wheels, black with red stripe wheels, or platinum. I think all black wheels work best with light colors.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:13 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

i think you're on to something with the too much red going on. On a GR the black wheels with red stripe and then red interior stitching may be a bit too much.

if I were to get a GR .2 GT3 I think I would probably go with satin aluminum wheels, platinum stitching, and one or two red accents inside, such as, at most, 2 of the following 3 options: gauges in GR, seat belts in GR, and/or steering wheel center marker in GR (if you go with the standard alcantara steering wheel and shifter that is; personally I like those in smooth leather, but that's another discussion).

in the above scenario, the satin aluminum wheels play off the platinum stitching and the one or two red accents play off the exterior color.

Will reply later about seats
Old 04-18-2017, 11:34 AM
Freddie81
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lapis
the pic I posted above of the GR .1GT3 with platinum wheels should be helpful to make the call on wheel color choice for .2GT3. Fundamentally there's little difference. Again, I think contrast is key to make a car really pop. So with GR, I'd go with either satin aluminum wheels, black with red stripe wheels, or platinum. I think all black wheels work best with light colors.
Yes, thanks for the picture above and for your reply. It's just that there are quite a few more black details on the .2 which made me think it will work well with the black satin wheels. On the other hand I have a friend with a red 599 GTO with black details and platinum wheels and this looks great and I prefer it over black wheels on this car
Old 04-18-2017, 11:37 AM
Freddie81
Intermediate

i think you're on to something with the too much red going on. On a GR the black wheels with red stripe and then red interior stitching may be a bit too much.

if I were to get a GR .2 GT3 I think I would probably go with satin aluminum wheels, platinum stitching, and one or two red accents inside, such as, at most, 2 of the following 3 options: gauges in GR, seat belts in GR, and/or steering wheel center marker in GR (if you go with the standard alcantara steering wheel and shifter that is; personally I like those in smooth leather, but that's another discussion).

in the above scenario, the satin aluminum wheels play off the platinum stitching and the one or two red accents play off the exterior color.

Will reply later about seats
Thanks again for the helpful inputs. Forgot to mention I speced red seatbelts as well. I will give it some serious thought, dealer recommended to send in final spec in July so still some time
Old 04-18-2017, 12:21 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Thanks again for the helpful inputs. Forgot to mention I speced red seatbelts as well. I will give it some serious thought, dealer recommended to send in final spec in July so still some time
seats, this has been debated a lot. And I'm on the record here as saying the LWBs are really hard to get into and out of, despite being OK once seated, so you'd better go sit in them yourself before ordering them.

Having said that, the LWBs just so damn cool, unquestionably. they also seem to complete the look and spirit of a Porsche GT car. Unfortunately, as both my GT3 and former GT4 had sofas (18-ways and 4-ways, respectively), I've only ever sat in the LWBs a few times at dealers, never had any serious seat time in them driving.

I'm hoping the change that this week since I'm going to the Gay Smokies event and will be confabbinh with 70+ other Porsche GT car owners on long mountain drives and a track day at AMP. While they're I'm optimistic that I may be able to swap cars a couple times with someone who has them to see how they feel after a while driving in them. Will let you know what I think after that.

Meantime, I suspect I'll probably be especially appreciative of the 18-ways in my GT3 on the 9-hour drive tomorrow to get there.

As for 18-ways v 4-ways, I have owned both at same time and can say with confidence, they look and feel exactly the same and so the 18-ways are a waste of money and they weigh more too if that matters to you. The 18-ways don't even have memory in GT3.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:28 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

More thoughts on LWB seats....

if if you get them, due to their prominent carbon fiber, it kind of forces you to get CF interior trim and CF door sills (illuminated of curse) to complete the look, which is more $$$ than the otherwise good looking standard silver or black/dark gray brushed aluminum trim I would otherwise spec.

Having said that, with the LWBs, you can't get seat heating or the leather wrapped seat backs, potentially good things not to be tempted to spend extra $$$ on.

As for resale value, well there are argument on both sides. Most track rats and fanboys will say they will only buy a car with LWBs, so I suppose if you're making a truly track focused build (PDK, iron brakes, stripper build otherwise), then maybe LWBs are the way to go. If you are building your car more for non track weekend enjoyment / enthusiast / purist use (manual transmission, PCCBs, lots of interior luxury upgrades like leather details, Bose, etc), then comfort will probably be a priority since your eventual buyer on resale may skew older, wealthier, and more likely to have a spouse who would object to the LWBs.

I am still struggling with this seat decision too and probably will keep struggling with it until I cannot change the build any more.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:08 PM
C5driver
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

Meantime, I suspect I'll probably be especially appreciative of the 18-ways in my GT3 on the 9-hour drive tomorrow to get there.
Entry and exit into LWB's really isn't as difficult as people make it out to be. Once you have the procedure down, it's no different than getting in/out of any other car, IMO.

As for comfort, I did a 7-8 hour drive and found them comfortable. YMMV, so try before you buy.

The only downside I've found is valet parking with a GF who likes her mini dresses.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:17 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,388 Likes on 720 Posts

The only downside I've found is valet parking with a GF who likes her mini dresses.

I see this as a positive. Tell them to where no panties. You will never have to pay the valet. I told my Wife to do that one night before She ever sat in my GT4. She was pissed but me happy

Quick Reply: .2 GT3 COLOR POLL