For SURE Miami Blue on a cloudy day in Houston

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 02:44 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 40 Posts
Default For SURE Miami Blue on a cloudy day in Houston

I have a GR .1 and like a few, am considering Miami for the .2

I'm getting confused after staring at online images, either because the website is confusing Miami for Mexico, or Mexico for Riviera, or maybe just because the white balance of the original image is off. Case in point regarding white balance: Andreas' pictures of the reveal Guards Red .2 GT3 look extremely orange on my phone and my monitor, whereas the Porsche officials look true. This isn't meant as a knock on him, WB can be a cast iron bitch to get right.

Anyhoo...I went down to Momentum (closer to my house than PNH) and snapped some pics of a Carerra they have in Miami. They are phone pics, but the iPhone camera is no slouch, and I have further washed them through Athentech's Lucid app.

Thoughts. It is a very vibrant color, and I understand why it's polarizing. I was expecting a greenish tint, but perhaps it takes some sunlight to bring out. I could not see ANY hint of it on the 911 outside, or the Cayman inside.

In my minds eye, Miami is more Smurf, and Mexico more Carolina Tarheel. And maybe that's what all this comes down to. Miami is just enough on the edge of the color palette, that different eyes see it differently.

Finally, if you would love to get Mexico, but have no shot at PTS, I believe Miami to be a good substitute.

A graphite thrown in for good measure.

Last edited by Sean in Texas; 03-11-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:10 PM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean in Texas

A graphite thrown in for good measure.
I have a GR .1 and like a few, am considering Miami for the .2

I'm getting confused after staring at online images, either because the website is confusing Miami for Mexico, or Mexico for Riviera, or maybe just because the white balance of the original image is off. Case in point- Andreas' pictures of the reveal Guards Red .2 GT3 look extremely orange on my phone and my monitor, whereas the Porsche officials look true. This isnt a knock on him, WB can be a cast iron bitch to get right.

Anyhoo...I went down to Momentum (closer to my house than PNH) and snapped some phone pics of a Carerra they have in Miami. They are phone camera pics, but the iPhone camera is no slouch, and I have further washed them through Athentech's Lucid app.

Thoughts- It is a very vibrant color, and I understand why it's polarizing. I was expecting a greenish tint, but perhaps it takes some sunlight to bring out. I could not see ANY on the 911 outside, or the Cayman inside. That was a good thing, for me.

In my minds eye, Miami is more Smurf, and Mexico more Carolina Tarheel. And maybe that's what all this comes down to. Miami is just enough on the edge of the color palette, that different eyes see it differently.

Finally- if you would love to get Mexico, but have no shot at PTS, I believe Miami to be a good substitute.
Hi Sean.

I really like the Maimi, too. Would be happy to get a 3 pedal GT3 in that colour.

Vivian
Old 03-11-2017, 03:12 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Miami blue looks pretty good in thise pictures. Thr csr is going to look great in any color
Old 03-11-2017, 03:22 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by irish guitar
Hi Sean.

I really like the Maimi, too. Would be happy to get a 3 pedal GT3 in that colour.

Vivian
I think that's the plan, Vivian. Even Laurel likes it....that scared me a little.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:13 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like Miami, definitely a good substitute for Mexico. Miami Blue reminds me of the Miami Dolphins blue.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:38 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Me thinks we'll see a lot of Miami Blue GT3s.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:55 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

I've seen that same car at Momentum. Looks worse in the sun, IMO. It gets pretty washed out. Not quite as bad as Yas Marina Blue on an M3 / M4, but meh.... Lacks depth or personality.

Looks better on a 911 than a 718, though. Perhaps even better on a GT3? But for sure, a color to see in person first.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:14 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

One thing is for sure. That graphite blue is dull as dull can be.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:41 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 180 Posts

Porsche should just bring back the bright non metallic colors they're hiding behind the PTS wall.
The Color Fashionistas, as Eduardo calls them, churn out poor muddy substitutes (Miami Blue, Lava Orange).
Carmine Red was their only hit in my opinion, and Ultra Violet isn't as good as Royal Purple.
Thankfully I'm ok with Pure White.

Blues clockwise from top left are PTS Voodoo, Maritime, Mexico, and Riviera, with Miami in the middle;

Name:  voodoo-maritime-mexico-riviera (clockwise) miami (middle).jpg
Views: 2565
Size:  101.4 KB
Old 03-11-2017, 06:08 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Here are some pics I shot last week with iPhone 7 Plus (decent camera) under indoor light inside the dealership, with some mildly overcast daylight mixed in from the windows. Looks quite striking in person. Compared to Rivera or Mexico, it has a slight turquoise tint to it.

Also thrown in for good measure are pic showing under same lighting of Signal Green and lava orange.

Lava orange. LED headlights in black
Signal green. LED headlights in black.
Miami Blue. LED headlights standard color.
Miami Blue in foreground. Black, lava orange, Signal green, and white in distance behind.
Miami Blue.
Lava orange.
Signal green.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:12 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Not a fan of Miami after seeing it in person. Different strokes for different folks. Porsche has some many great colors in its arsenal it's too bad they can't put more bright colors for the GT cars.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:48 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great quality pics Lapis. I guess I have to pay a visit to my dealer.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:42 PM
wisky
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 41 Posts

I ordered a Miami Blue 991.2 C2S without seeing it in person. It should be here 4/30/17. 2 dealers I have spoken to said they have not had any Miami Blue cars go through their dealership yet, granted the color is still new but it does not seem like a lot of people are ordering it. After sharing my build with a few non-car people friends, it is polarizing - half think its awesome and the other half say it is awful.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:48 PM
Curt Wohlgemuth
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a MB 718 being built next week. Fortunately my dealer had one in stock, so I could see it up close. I think it's brilliant. They have a 911 in MB too, I think it does look even better than on the 718.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:54 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Miami does have a greenish tint. The pics above, at least to my eye, do not render Miami accurately. It does in fact resemble the NFL Dolphins blue.

Quick Reply: For SURE Miami Blue on a cloudy day in Houston