Sponsored by:

Anybody use PFC pads?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 02:07 AM
CobaltCr
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Anybody use PFC pads?

Been using the performance friction 11 pads for 6 months and noticed the pad is oversized for the stock rotor ring and hangs a few millimeters over the inside of the rotor. Anyone else notice this problem?

I'm developing a small fang of metal hanging off the inside of the pad as it wears. Odd thing is the car stops like a charm. No problems whatsoever. I love the way these things stop

Official word is Porsche changed some design parameters on the rotor after pfc designed the pad but no fix in sight on pfc's end.

I haven't heard of any brake failures arising out of this. Just trying to think through the implications of continuing to use the pad.

Would you guys keep using the pad or switch? Interested to hear comments. Pics attached. One is stock pad lined up to pfc pad. Other is pad wearing on rotor.
Attached Images   
Old 03-11-2017, 03:13 PM
loopsandsounds
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CobaltCr
Anyone else notice this problem?

I'm developing a small fang of metal hanging off the inside of the pad as it wears. Odd thing is the car stops like a charm. No problems whatsoever. I love the way these things stop

Would you guys keep using the pad or switch? Interested to hear comments. Pics attached. One is stock pad lined up to pfc pad. Other is pad wearing on rotor.
I had the same issue on my GT3. I didn't worry about it. If it really bothers you take the pads out and the little lip will fall off as soon as you touch it with an edge. I had an overall good experience with the pads other than the issue you describe.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:19 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 40 Posts

No issues for me when I had them on.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:53 PM
CobaltCr
Racer

Loops, thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear no issues and makes me feel better about using the pads. As I said I've been very happy with the braking performance and would rather not change unless there's a compelling reason to.

Sean, interesting that you didn't have any issues. What year is your gt3?
Old 03-12-2017, 12:16 AM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CobaltCr
Loops, thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear no issues and makes me feel better about using the pads. As I said I've been very happy with the braking performance and would rather not change unless there's a compelling reason to.

Sean, interesting that you didn't have any issues. What year is your gt3?
2015. I just had some Endless pads put on. I will monitor and report if they exhibit anything similar to what you're seeing.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:47 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

I gave up on pfc. Very hard on rotors. At least the 08 compound.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:41 PM
CobaltCr
Racer

Just an update. Pulled the calipers off. That little fang of metal came off easily with a couple small taps with a rubber mallet and a little wiggle of the caliper. Measured Rotor wear with calipers and there is no asymmetric wear on the inside of the rotor ring compared with the outside of the ring. Pads aren't tapering either. Piston pucks look fine. That damn brake line bracket is still the hardest thing to work around.

The 11 compound is working so well will probably keep using it till it's time for new rotors.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:24 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Here are the PFC11 pads I replaced last month. No fangs. Rotors are AP, pads and rotors bought from Apex

Again, I have a MY2015, Oct14 build, and I put these pads on ~Dec of 2015.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:15 PM
loopsandsounds
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I gave up on pfc. Very hard on rotors. At least the 08 compound.
Interesting I ran the PFC11 compound for 6 days and a few thousand street miles and after 15,000 total street miles plus about 8 track days on the original OEM pads the original rotors still had plenty of life. I actually have the used pad and rotors up for sale because they still have plenty of life for a track rat.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:17 PM
gassian
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

are these PFC 11 pads noisy on Giro rotors?
Old 10-31-2018, 05:42 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gassian
are these PFC 11 pads noisy on Giro rotors?
There is a little squeak, but not nearly as much as the Ferodos.

In my experience, I have found the Endless pads to squeak the least. I plan on going back to Endless after the Ferodos are done.

Quick Reply: Anybody use PFC pads?