991.2 GT3 will come with "Touring Package" option

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 02:46 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 183 Posts

"Bruce
Porsche GT3 updates.
PCNA tells us there is not going to be a GT3 Touring edition. That is an unfounded rumor"

Per my SA this morning.
Maybe PCNA is trying to through water on the rumor? I'm still holding out for a GT3 with rear seats.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:56 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce R
"Bruce
Porsche GT3 updates.
PCNA tells us there is not going to be a GT3 Touring edition. That is an unfounded rumor"

Per my SA this morning.
Maybe PCNA is trying to through water on the rumor? I'm still holding out for a GT3 with rear seats.
I guess PCNA doesn't read RL because around here the Touring Package is already confirmed.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:10 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,163 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
No range anxiety
Keep top end power / pull.
Smaller / lighter battery as ICE can charge battery.
Don't need to turbocharge the engine....electric motors provide the "torque fill" (to borrow McLaren's phrase) at low revs.
Still sounds good!

Full electric... no need to haul around ICE as well as Electric drivetrain.
More seamless driving experience.
Low COG from low slung battery pack.
Crazy capabilities of torque vectoring.
Instant response to the "go pedal".

Hmm

You forgot on hybrids, the 'instant go' from pressing the gas pedal is still there, just like a pure electric car.

Engine choice can be turbo or NA, going turbo route it just means the power can comes on strong at the top end as the low/mid end can be taken care of by the electric motor, which makes a car strong from low to mid to high. But same thing can be said of NA engines, tune the power for top end.

A pure electric car has strong low end, good mid end and bad top end, characteristic of a a electric motor.

Performance also doesn't depends on ambient temperature like pure electric, where range and performance of the car varies greatly depending on temperature.

Hybrids are also 'good neighbours' car. One can leave home in silent electric mode, and switch to the engine after to enjoy the sound, then go home silently again.

Hybrids are a more complex set up, and needed a lot more tuning to get a 'seamless' performance experience. Porsche already got that from doing the 918 though.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:13 PM
VECCA
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Puf n Stuf
Apparently, PCNA doesn't read Car Magazine either.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:16 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by djcxxx
I guess PCNA doesn't read RL because around here the Touring Package is already confirmed.
Funny!
Old 05-22-2017, 08:11 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce R
"Bruce
Porsche GT3 updates.

Per my SA this morning.
I wouldn't say 'unfounded', unless the appearing showroom-ready wingless GT3 prototypes Porsche showed us are being referred to as something else...
Old 05-22-2017, 08:15 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I wouldn't say 'unfounded', unless the appearing showroom-ready wingless GT3 prototypes Porsche showed us are being referred to as something else...
Egg Zachery!
Old 05-22-2017, 08:32 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Adlam
Apparently, PCNA doesn't read Car Magazine either.
Agree, the specificity of the 'X90' reference in that article gives me confidence. Who would make up such a reference? I can't really picture a journo or a Porsche employee making up that code, because what would be the point?

The waiting game continues.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:46 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

R owners spreading fake news so they could dump few more cars at $400k.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:25 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Hmm

You forgot on hybrids, the 'instant go' from pressing the gas pedal is still there, just like a pure electric car.

Engine choice can be turbo or NA, going turbo route it just means the power can comes on strong at the top end as the low/mid end can be taken care of by the electric motor, which makes a car strong from low to mid to high. But same thing can be said of NA engines, tune the power for top end.

A pure electric car has strong low end, good mid end and bad top end, characteristic of a a electric motor.

Performance also doesn't depends on ambient temperature like pure electric, where range and performance of the car varies greatly depending on temperature.

Hybrids are also 'good neighbours' car. One can leave home in silent electric mode, and switch to the engine after to enjoy the sound, then go home silently again.

Hybrids are a more complex set up, and needed a lot more tuning to get a 'seamless' performance experience. Porsche already got that from doing the 918 though.
You are right, and make good points. My points were by no means exhaustive.

I'd say that on a hybrid (at least the ones I've driven compared to the EV's I've driven) the instant torque from the motor isn't as potent as a pure EV, due to smaller motor size.

I find pure EV's to be pretty cool. Really thought hard about leasing an i3. Fun little car! And is there a more perfect car to commute in traffic than a Model S with autopilot?

But back to that Touring Option....seriously hoping for a GT3 with rear seats....suspect it's probably just a wing delete though.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:50 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
But back to that Touring Option....seriously hoping for a GT3 with rear seats....suspect it's probably just a wing delete though.
My SA is now telling me he is hearing talk of it being 2+2, but he could very well be just echoing back Rennlist rumours to me...
Old 05-23-2017, 12:02 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

What has been confirmed is that nothing has been confirmed. Now let's get back off topic to hybrids and electrics.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:39 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

What was that car we saw recently which looked like a GT3 without a wing.. that's all I want to know
Old 05-23-2017, 08:32 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CAlexio
What was that car we saw recently which looked like a GT3 without a wing.. that's all I want to know
They are an Exclusive clone of cars known as 911R2D2 sent by Porsche's Niebelung in PTS (very rare multicolored dwarfs) to protect virtuous VIP customer Princess Iwanna Leia from evil flipper Darth Dealer. This did not come from a cleaning lady but from a butler who works for the wealthiest cleaning lady in Zuffenhausen. This is totally reliable information, equal to if not exceeding the quality of insider information we are all accustomed to on RL. Guaranteed.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:35 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx
They are a clone of cars known as 911R2D2 sent by Porsche's Niebelung in PTS (multicolored dwarfs) to protect virtuous VIP customer Princess Iwanna Leia from evil flipper Darth Dealer. This did not come from a cleaning lady but from a butler who works for the wealthiest cleaning lady in Zuffenhausen. This is totally reliable information, equal to if not exceeding the quality of insider information we are all accustomed to on RL. Guaranteed.
Ok, I believe you clone of Chacksoul
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 will come with "Touring Package" option