Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 will come with "Touring Package" option

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 10:56 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
500hp and a motorsports engine to cruise city streets?
Because what people want and what people need usually do not match up. Perception weighs a lot more than reality for MANY things
Old 03-22-2017, 12:19 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,147 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman
Did you miss the part where I said my daughter is 2 years old? 2 seats has been sufficient until recently. Buying a NA Porsche 911 wasn't top of mind in the delivery room.

I have been scouring the classifieds for a 991.1 GTS but in Australia it seems very few ordered them with a manual box as I have not seen any for many months now.

I still dont really get the butthurt from people about a GT3 with back seats. If you dont want them, then dont get them (assuming they do ever become an option).

That's just called missing the boat.

Lots of Porsche lovers wants a air cooled 911 too. Should people start petitioning Porsche to put back the air cool engines in the 991.2?

Many people wished for many things too, doesn't mean they will get it.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:00 PM
needspeed
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by signes
We live in a world of excessive choice and customization. I'd like a half caf 152.5 degree vanilla mochacino with 2% almond milk and.75 inches of room in a venti cup... It affects people's expectations, they want to have everything their way right away (or bitch about it they don't get it.)
Originally Posted by orthojoe
Because what people want and what people need usually do not match up. Perception weighs a lot more than reality for MANY things
Yes. There's also occasional law breaking blitz through the nearby canyon. Separately, based on how AP is differentiating GT3 from GT3RS, former to satisfy emotional drive and latter for track rats, I wonder if there's actual truth to possible wing delete and rear seats in the GT3.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:47 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

GT3 is a fast car with track chops, no longer ultimate track car... that is land of RS since that moniker was introduced

GT3 moniker means status more than anything else - sort of 'true porsche sports car', folks in these times have money and money usually wants status... GT3 moniker provides that ... how the car is used is very secondary

putting stick in it gives it dual/segmented appeal... they sell more units across both segments... PAG are expert capitalists, should we expect anything less?

suspension tech and advances in modern times are so advanced, lets so many people with different wants and needs have their cake and eat it too... suspension's job is simply keep car planted and body motions under control ... if it can do that while offering cushy ride, nothing is lost but the vague memories of old men remembering what performance cars USED to feel like
Old 03-22-2017, 02:16 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

For people that want to cruise on the street, Porsche makes the 991.2 GTS. It has more torque and on the street will probably perform as well as a 911r or a 991.2 GT3 Touring. For those that want to drive hard on the street or occasionally/frequently on the track, there is the GT3. I don't see McLaren and Ferrari owners asking for back seats in their cars. The GT3 is a track focused car sports car. Porsche makes plenty of cars with backseats and no spoilers, choose from one of those. Please do not butcher the GT3.

As far as limiting the 911r, I don't think Porsche made a mistake. There always needs to be some limited models to keep the appeal. If it was so easy to get a 911r or GT3 RS, people would not desire them as much. This goes for a lot of things in life. PTS is a perfect example. If PTS was available with every build, I can assure you the desire would not be as high. Many people want PTS just because of rarity and resale. I'm sure if they made 10,000 GT3 RS' and 10,000 911r's some owners would complain of depreciation, like McLaren owners. Porsche can't make everyone happy, but I think they are doing a great job making most people happy right now. I personally am happy with the production amount of GT/limited cars right now.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:55 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
GT3 is a fast car with track chops, no longer ultimate track car... that is land of RS since that moniker was introduced

GT3 moniker means status more than anything else - sort of 'true porsche sports car', folks in these times have money and money usually wants status... GT3 moniker provides that ...
IMO, it is the opposite - the RS is the 'status' car, regardless of marketing pretense. Far more RS buyers interested in PTS and customized door sills than gutting them for track duty. Of course there are some exceptions, but it is the GT3 that I actually see out on the track, not the RS.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:38 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

The new GTS is not interesting to many people who are interested in a manual GT3. It just so happens the only way you can get a new NA Porsche with a manual is by way of a GT3.

If they released a car that just had the 3.8 with powerkit from the 991.1 GTS, the 6 speed from the R, the suspension setup from the GT3, I think half the people who want a 991.2 GT3 would take that instead.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:47 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by Tangerine
If they released a car that just had the 3.8 with powerkit from the 991.1 GTS, the 6 speed from the R, the suspension setup from the GT3, I think half the people who want a 991.2 GT3 would take that instead.
I believe that there are some people on here that think the GT4 Gen 2 might fit that bill next. Except for the PITA CLs of course.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:58 PM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by theplanner
Quite frankly comments like this are just absurd.

1) Porsche owes to non of their customers the protection in the resale value of their cars.

2) Market demand dictates any potential upside of a used vehicle

3) I don't think true collectors will really care about the short term fluctuation in the "value" of their cars, only speculators will care. And the world can do with less speculators becos it is greed that then spoils the market for all.

4) if you want back seats, go buy GTS why follow the herd, becos u want to speculate on the value of ur car. If the values of these cars r depreciating I bet majority of ppl who make absurb comments about Porsche and how it should not limit production and resale value blah blah blah or speccing a GTx car with all forms of lux options, will not even consider the NA engine becos turbos have become so driveable and more so than its NA counterparts. Lets be honest, most of these ppl have never even driven on the track. Let alone all these sudden interest in a track - driver orientated car.

Anyway, just my bitch for the day to counter all these other nonesense bitching .... lol...first world probs!
1) You might think that but I'd say it's the reason they've never made a direct competitor to the Ferrari 488, the 911 would be far less popular if there was an 818.

2) See 1.

3) I agree the world could do with less speculators but Porsche knew what they were doing when they limited the number of R's, Sports Classic's etc.

4) I don't want to speculate I want to drive the best car for the winding roads where I live, I have almost no interest in the Track, I want the best road car and that's what all the reviews proclaim the R to be.

Frankly the GTS doesn't interest me, it's a Carrera S with a few options as standard.

I have a 991.1 because I wanted an NA engine, again another reason the 4.0 in the R and GT3 will appeal to people who desire a car for the road and not the track, that's the sudden interest in the GT3 as I said in my original post.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:34 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
That's just called missing the boat.

Lots of Porsche lovers wants a air cooled 911 too. Should people start petitioning Porsche to put back the air cool engines in the 991.2?

Many people wished for many things too, doesn't mean they will get it.
Thats just a weird response.

A reference to a "touring package" for the GT3 was found in the german configurator. This thread is discussing what this touring package might include. I would like it to include back seats. History tells us it might. Some people find this offensive. I think that people who find it offensive are being ridiculous as it in no way diminishes what a GT3 without back seats would be. Various social commentary ensues that people shouldn't want what they want, they should want what is on the shelf. I am instructed that I should have bought a 991.1 Carrera. I didn't. Sad face for me. I am told that I missed that boat and that I should not express a desire for Porsche to include back seats in the touring package.

If this was not the plot of a Seinfeld episode it should have been. I am ok being George in this story, as long as you are Newman...
Old 03-22-2017, 10:37 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

The new GTS is not interesting to many people who are interested in a manual GT3. It just so happens the only way you can get a new NA Porsche with a manual is by way of a GT3.

I'm ok with this, with the slight change that it should include the new 4.0, because who doesn't want a 500hp engien that revs to 9k rpm?

Maybe they should build it and call it a 911 "Touring" (ie no reference to GT3) to keep everyone happy...
Old 03-22-2017, 10:54 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

I fully understand that people want a no wing gt3 with rear seats now when the cars are so comfortable.

The old saying road "car that you can take to the track has been taken over by the RS".

Now we just need an RS that is a street legal race car.
Porsche has moved the line towards usability.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:22 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
IMO, it is the opposite - the RS is the 'status' car, regardless of marketing pretense. Far more RS buyers interested in PTS and customized door sills than gutting them for track duty. Of course there are some exceptions, but it is the GT3 that I actually see out on the track, not the RS.
yes this is true too... i am talking about from PAG's perspective

we all know the many RS owners who now don't use the car cuz its so damned precious and bring their cars to C&C only ... and yes it is the plain jane GT3's that are flogged on track since they are less so
Old 03-23-2017, 02:29 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Yup.

Coffee black. Add milk and sugar if you must.
RS white. Add comfy seats if you must.
hey hey hey, i add sugar to milk and dress them up with a bit of espresso.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:59 AM
rezgui.rachid
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1
That is me.
I want the NA engine and the 6 speed Manual. I am driving a Macan Turbo now and although it is amazing, I do not need all the torque at once, I want to feel the power delivery and that is why I am looking for a NA engine 911.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 will come with "Touring Package" option