Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 will come with "Touring Package" option

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 04:49 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
No lights showing speech, so can't tell. lol But you're correct.. KITT was orange?
Porsche Exclusive PCM 3.1 KITT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnNx...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-21-2017, 10:49 PM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't want a GT3, I don't want a GT3 touring, I want a 911r with back seats and PDK. Then I could convince my wife it's practical and take my family out in it.

But porsche, in their wisdom, decided the greatest road car they've built to date would be sold to a limited few.

Now 911 fans are scrambling for any way of experiencing it, such was their righteous outrage Porsche quickly offered a manual transmission on the GT3.

Frankly I feel someone at Porsche screwed up by limiting the 911r but now they don't want to **** off collectors by devaluing their garaged 'perfect 911' but also realise they've alienated their fans by denying them a chance at owning their best model, hopefully that results in a 'soft' GT3 and Porsche don't make the mistake of limiting the numbers of the 992r in 2027.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:09 PM
Brindle101
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy crap, are you Guys kidding? Gt3 with wing delete and rear seats. If you want that kind of car there are so many 911's to choose from. Gt3 is a track car, and porsche spends a lot of time and money to maximize that performance and single purpose. I'm a little surprised they are even allowing a manual option. In my opinion, they should have made more 911r cars for driver enthusiasts and left gt3 as PDK track beast, as this car and transmission fit like a hand and glove. As far as back seats and wing delete, my opinion, " It ain't never gonna' happen".
Old 03-21-2017, 11:22 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

We live in a world of excessive choice and customization. I'd like a half caf 152.5 degree vanilla mochacino with 2% almond milk and.75 inches of room in a venti cup... It affects people's expectations, they want to have everything their way right away (or bitch about it they don't get it.)
Old 03-21-2017, 11:32 PM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

there really should only be an rs and an r kill the gt3, although, i am glad to be getting manual gt3, i could see them ditching the gt3 in time and just have the r and the rs. no real reason to make it.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:36 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougr743
there really should only be an rs and an r kill the gt3, although, i am glad to be getting manual gt3, i could see them ditching the gt3 in time and just have the r and the rs. no real reason to make it.
I guess you read AP interview last March '16 Geneva Autoshow where he said exactly that

despite the GT3 content (and price...) is and will be R like
but the badge will be kept as GT3...

Was R a way to push GT3 price so much higher??
(and a phase1 strategy to create a strong and sustained market demand...)
Old 03-22-2017, 12:00 AM
theplanner
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PantsFire
I don't want a GT3, I don't want a GT3 touring, I want a 911r with back seats and PDK. Then I could convince my wife it's practical and take my family out in it.

But porsche, in their wisdom, decided the greatest road car they've built to date would be sold to a limited few.

Now 911 fans are scrambling for any way of experiencing it, such was their righteous outrage Porsche quickly offered a manual transmission on the GT3.

Frankly I feel someone at Porsche screwed up by limiting the 911r but now they don't want to **** off collectors by devaluing their garaged 'perfect 911' but also realise they've alienated their fans by denying them a chance at owning their best model, hopefully that results in a 'soft' GT3 and Porsche don't make the mistake of limiting the numbers of the 992r in 2027.

Quite frankly comments like this are just absurd.

1) Porsche owes to non of their customers the protection in the resale value of their cars.

2) Market demand dictates any potential upside of a used vehicle

3) I don't think true collectors will really care about the short term fluctuation in the "value" of their cars, only speculators will care. And the world can do with less speculators becos it is greed that then spoils the market for all.

4) if you want back seats, go buy GTS why follow the herd, becos u want to speculate on the value of ur car. If the values of these cars r depreciating I bet majority of ppl who make absurb comments about Porsche and how it should not limit production and resale value blah blah blah or speccing a GTx car with all forms of lux options, will not even consider the NA engine becos turbos have become so driveable and more so than its NA counterparts. Lets be honest, most of these ppl have never even driven on the track. Let alone all these sudden interest in a track - driver orientated car.

Anyway, just my bitch for the day to counter all these other nonesense bitching .... lol...first world probs!
Old 03-22-2017, 01:38 AM
needspeed
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

But there will be only one of its kind. Extreme limited edition.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:49 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Brindle101
Holy crap, are you Guys kidding? Gt3 with wing delete and rear seats. If you want that kind of car there are so many 911's to choose from. Gt3 is a track car, and porsche spends a lot of time and money to maximize that performance and single purpose. I'm a little surprised they are even allowing a manual option. In my opinion, they should have made more 911r cars for driver enthusiasts and left gt3 as PDK track beast, as this car and transmission fit like a hand and glove. As far as back seats and wing delete, my opinion, " It ain't never gonna' happen".
Originally Posted by signes
We live in a world of excessive choice and customization. I'd like a half caf 152.5 degree vanilla mochacino with 2% almond milk and.75 inches of room in a venti cup... It affects people's expectations, they want to have everything their way right away (or bitch about it they don't get it.)
Originally Posted by theplanner
4) if you want back seats, go buy GTS why follow the herd, becos u want to speculate on the value of ur car. If the values of these cars r depreciating I bet majority of ppl who make absurb comments about Porsche and how it should not limit production and resale value blah blah blah or speccing a GTx car with all forms of lux options, will not even consider the NA engine becos turbos have become so driveable and more so than its NA counterparts. Lets be honest, most of these ppl have never even driven on the track. Let alone all these sudden interest in a track - driver orientated car.

Anyway, just my bitch for the day to counter all these other nonesense bitching .... lol...first world probs!
These comments show no appreciation of the history of Porsche. Read the following Sothebey's listing for a little history lesson on Touring edition versions of hardcore 911s.

http://www.rmsothebys.com/mc16/monac...ouring/1079764

The standard 2.4-litre 911 S with its Bosch mechanical fuel injection was chosen as the starting point. After four RS homologation prototypes were constructed, production began on a small run of competition-oriented “Sport” (or “Lightweight”) coupés (option M471), and another 435 “Comfort” (or “Touring”) versions (option M472). The Sport models saved weight by eliminating the 911’s usual soundproofing, opening rear quarter windows, rear folding jump seats, carpeting, passenger sun-visor, glovebox door, and clock. The standard fully trimmed interior door panels and armrests were retained on the Touring models but replaced on the Lightweights with simple vinyl-covered cardboard panels and minimalist door pulls and latch cords. The RS series became instantly identifiable by its distinctive but optional “ducktail” rear spoiler, which had shown the ability to greatly reduce rear-end lift at speed.
For those that don't care for history or tradition, lets put it another way, I want a NA engine, a manual gearbox, and somewhere to put my partner and 2 year old daughter wrapped into a sporty, good looking package. What other car can I buy?
Old 03-22-2017, 02:47 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,163 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman
]

For those that don't care for history or tradition, lets put it another way, I want a NA engine, a manual gearbox, and somewhere to put my partner and 2 year old daughter wrapped into a sporty, good looking package. What other car can I buy?

What you just asked for is the 991.1. The were for sale for the longest time, from 2011-2015, ANYONE with enough money can walk into a showroom and buy one, perhaps even off the floor without waiting, AND on top of that, without market adjustment. You can have them in S or non S, rwd or awd versions, with 3 different roof configurations. And even a 'hot' GTS version. Like 14 different choices. All of them without the 'wing' too.

So, why didn't you buy one then? The transition to turbo engines on the .2 were publicized well in advance, there were more than enough warning and lead time if you really want such a car.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:31 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
What you just asked for is the 991.1. The were for sale for the longest time, from 2011-2015, ANYONE with enough money can walk into a showroom and buy one, perhaps even off the floor without waiting, AND on top of that, without market adjustment. You can have them in S or non S, rwd or awd versions, with 3 different roof configurations. And even a 'hot' GTS version. Like 14 different choices. All of them without the 'wing' too.

So, why didn't you buy one then? The transition to turbo engines on the .2 were publicized well in advance, there were more than enough warning and lead time if you really want such a car.
Did you miss the part where I said my daughter is 2 years old? 2 seats has been sufficient until recently. Buying a NA Porsche 911 wasn't top of mind in the delivery room.

I have been scouring the classifieds for a 991.1 GTS but in Australia it seems very few ordered them with a manual box as I have not seen any for many months now.

I still dont really get the butthurt from people about a GT3 with back seats. If you dont want them, then dont get them (assuming they do ever become an option).
Old 03-22-2017, 03:56 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Some interesting insight from AP on the intended purpose of the GT3.

Quote from road and track: http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...as-preuninger/

"We are taking a lot of care about the driving emotion," said Preuninger, in an interview with Road & Track. "Not so much stubbornly, seriously, German-ly chasing lap time, lap time, lap time," he said with a mock stern voice. "At least, that's not my intention anymore."
"This exercise with the 911 R was such a welcome distraction from all our lap-time hunting," said Preuninger. "We found out that if you focus on the agility–making the car fun in tight turns, fun on canyons–we transferred something of that knowledge into the new GT3 as well."
Old 03-22-2017, 09:04 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by signes
^This +100
Old 03-22-2017, 09:37 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Yup.

Coffee black. Add milk and sugar if you must.
RS white. Add comfy seats if you must.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:46 AM
Porschmich
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brindle101
I thought the idea behind the cars is drive them to the the track, track them and then drive them home. If you want PDK fine but not everyone likes PDK. Agree they should have made more R'S but Porsche is going to make what people want and they wanted a manual option so they brought it back.. Last GT3 news was it was PDK from now on. Never say never when it comes to profit.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 will come with "Touring Package" option