Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 will come with "Touring Package" option

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 12:56 AM
NDGal
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 22 Posts
Default For what it's worth, I have a deposit on one...

#2 on the "List" with a deposit at MSRP.
When I called up the (US) dealer about two weeks ago, they didn't really know much about it. SA said he'll call me back in a couple of days after he speaks to the sales manager.

Got a call back a couple of days later and they took my deposit.
On the deposit receipt it does say "2018/2019 991 Sport Classic."

SA said that at this point, they don't exactly know if this is what this model is going to end up being, or a GT3 "Touring Package" (option?).

I just hope it is a completely stand-alone model, and not an option off of the 991.2 GT3, because if that's the case, I don't think I'll have a chance of getting it as they only have 19 991.2 GT3s coming with 50 people deep on the list...
Old 08-04-2017, 01:24 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Ok, update from dealer #2:

- Rear seats will be an option
- Will have softer suspension tune (similar to 911r)
- no word on colour options
- will be announced at Frankfurt

I am less confident with the details from dealer #2, so I would treat all of the above as "unconfirmed".
Old 08-04-2017, 01:39 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman
I'd have a problem with that. I can ditch the PDK and wing and still bolt on Hoosiers to take TTOD. Not if they soften the suspension though- I get what they're thinking but I'll need all the spring rate of the full fat version and then some.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:07 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman
Ok, update from dealer #2:

- Rear seats will be an option
As much as I want this car, if the above...along with bright window trim and no aero...turns out to be true, I have a hard time with it being called a GT3. I suppose (if it does materialize in this form) it is Porsche's way to provide a shot at the 911R experience for 'regular' GT3 customers by not making it a separate model?

And where does the Sport Classic fit in? Are we sure the 'GT3 Touring' and Sport Classic are not one in the same? Because nothing says 'Sport Classic' like a 500hp motorsports-derived 9k RPM flat six under a 1960s silhouette with bright window trim and corduroy (previously rumored) or houndstooth seat inserts...
Old 08-04-2017, 03:36 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
As much as I want this car, if the above...along with bright window trim and no aero...turns out to be true, I have a hard time with it being called a GT3. I suppose (if it does materialize in this form) it is Porsche's way to provide a shot at the 911R experience for 'regular' GT3 customers by not making it a separate model?

And where does the Sport Classic fit in? Are we sure the 'GT3 Touring' and Sport Classic are not one in the same? Because nothing says 'Sport Classic' like a 500hp motorsports-derived 9k RPM flat six under a 1960s silhouette with bright window trim and corduroy (previously rumored) or houndstooth seat inserts...
If Porsche follow their heritage (which they are), then it will be a Touring..just as there was 2.7 RS Touring and a 964 RS Touring. A Sport Classic is an end of model cycle Porsche Exclusive car, not a Motor Sport car. Just like the 997 Sport Classic was.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:39 AM
TomTomTom
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
I'd have a problem with that. I can ditch the PDK and wing and still bolt on Hoosiers to take TTOD. Not if they soften the suspension though- I get what they're thinking but I'll need all the spring rate of the full fat version and then some.
It makes sense to -slightly- soften the suspension if you give up downforce.

The regular GT3 suspenion must take bumps at 320kph with the added load of the rear wing.
So softening the suspension for added(!) grip in lower speeds sounds good.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:31 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
If Porsche follow their heritage (which they are), then it will be a Touring..just as there was 2.7 RS Touring and a 964 RS Touring. A Sport Classic is an end of model cycle Porsche Exclusive car, not a Motor Sport car. Just like the 997 Sport Classic was.
You call it following their heritage; I call it dubious marketing.

The 997 SC debuted in late 2009, one of the first 997.2 models, and during a time when the GT models were more...focused. Is there room for another fancy GTS to be launched on top of a 'softer' version of the already more user-friendly GT3? And if a 991.2 SC has the 4.0 (as some here are predicting), how is it differentiated? A paint/stripe/fabric trim package marketed as another model?
Old 08-04-2017, 06:40 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by mass27
I'm a little confused at the high level of interest. Are people saying they really want:

1. A GT3 without a wing. Why? Is the wing look that ugly?
2. A GT3 with backseats. Why? For little children? If yes, is this really the car that is missing from your family and requires a back seat?
3. 911R, but called something other than a 911R. Why? Same reasons as #1 and #2.

I guess to be more succinct, should there be 50 911s that fit every single circumstance?

I'm trying to understand the void in Porsches lineup that the Touring Package fills. Or the Speedster. Or the Sport Classic. I feel like this is a Cheesecake Factory menu.
To be honest I love the wing and want one but I can see why some may not. The back seats I don't see any reason why they wouldn't come with them in the first place. The weight savings is negligible there is a bigger weight difference just between some of us members personal weight. That's one of the reasons I love the 911 so much is that I can occasionally enjoy it with the family. Why not have that in the best motor combination and suspension configuration in the model line up.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:09 AM
InnovateGT3
Advanced

Old 08-04-2017, 09:27 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TomTomTom
It makes sense to -slightly- soften the suspension if you give up downforce.

The regular GT3 suspenion must take bumps at 320kph with the added load of the rear wing.
So softening the suspension for added(!) grip in lower speeds sounds good.
That's true as long as you're using the tires Porsche designed for. Stickier rubber, on the other hand = more grip = greater lean angle when cornering = slower transitions, more camber loss in cornering, etc. GT3s are already softly sprung for Hoosiers, and this would make it worse.

I get the change from the perspective of a street only car, but I don't equate no wing with street only. I still intend to compete with the car, and while dropping the wing would have a negligible impact at autocross speeds softening the suspension would be a significant detriment.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:05 AM
James Walker
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tangerine
The 991 generation GT3 has the hardpoints removed for weight savings. If you wanted to add seats back, it would involve welding new hardpoints to the frame. Even if that was done right, it would not be DOT approved, and if anyone in the backseat was ever injured your insurance would decline coverage. I don't know if there is legal exposure beyond that.
I have never seen an insurance policy that required a car have DOT approval as a matter of fact I have several show and display cars that do not have DOT approval but are fully insured
Old 08-04-2017, 10:22 AM
JRidge
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With PASM I would think it would be easy enough to have it slightly softer in normal/street mode and just as aggressive in sport/track mode.

I can understand the appeal. Some prefer a "wolf in sheep's clothing." And/or prefer to fly a little bit "under the radar."

There are plenty of us who will spend 90% of our time in our GT car on the road vs. 10% on the track. Or more time getting to the track than on the track. In my mind that's who a "Touring" GT car is for.

I'd be tempted if the availability coincided with my build, but it won't, so I'll rock out with my wing out. And be proud to have it!
Old 08-04-2017, 10:33 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by mass27
I'm a little confused at the high level of interest. Are people saying they really want:

1. A GT3 without a wing. Why? Is the wing look that ugly?
2. A GT3 with backseats. Why? For little children? If yes, is this really the car that is missing from your family and requires a back seat?
3. 911R, but called something other than a 911R. Why? Same reasons as #1 and #2.
I don't care what badge Porsche slaps on the back, "wingless GT3" is an oxymoron, as is "four-seat GT3".
Old 08-04-2017, 11:31 AM
TomTomTom
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JRidge
With PASM I would think it would be easy enough to have it slightly softer in normal/street mode and just as aggressive in sport/track mode.

I can understand the appeal. Some prefer a "wolf in sheep's clothing." And/or prefer to fly a little bit "under the radar."

There are plenty of us who will spend 90% of our time in our GT car on the road vs. 10% on the track. Or more time getting to the track than on the track. In my mind that's who a "Touring" GT car is for.

I'd be tempted if the availability coincided with my build, but it won't, so I'll rock out with my wing out. And be proud to have it!
PASM can only change damping rates, not spring rates, no?
Old 08-04-2017, 11:52 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TomTomTom
PASM can only change damping rates, not spring rates, no?
Correct

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 will come with "Touring Package" option