Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 what they should do better

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 05:45 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

1. NO wind buffeting (come on Porsche, this is f**king embarassing)
2. Auto dimming mirrors that actually work (not impeded by the wing), otherwise remove the option from the list and stop stealing peoples money
3. Revised tuning for the PDK to slow upshifts (and hence make them more comfortable) when the car is driven gently and shifted at low RPM, e.g., in traffic situations. No need for full speed shifts in these situations, just adds NVH.

That's it for me.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:11 PM
Jon_H
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Option to upgrade to 5 lug.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:44 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

It will sound like I'm a poseur that is interested in a GT3 for the wrong reasons. Trust me I'm not, I'm just a perfectionist. I want the option of matching or deviating brake caliper colors !

Imagine for instance an acid green GT3 with matching calipers ! That's just freaking awesome !
Old 03-14-2017, 01:44 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
It will sound like I'm a poseur that is interested in a GT3 for the wrong reasons. Trust me I'm not, I'm just a perfectionist. I want the option of matching or deviating brake caliper colors !

Imagine for instance an acid green GT3 with matching calipers ! That's just freaking awesome !
nothing wrong with that.. but as calipers etc are so tough if not impossible to get painted, and other little details you get charged truly ridiculous amounts for.. what about just taking delivery and then doing the modifications yourself?

-calipers
-houndstooth seat inserts
-painted details like GT# script and others in red etc.
-even painted mirrors are so easy to remove and repaint or vinyl wrap.
-PORSCHE script stickers along door sills.

the gt3 is a great deal at $143k.. don't give up the house by giving them absurd money for options you can do yourself. makes it more fun anyway.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:13 PM
timwu12
Instructor

Originally Posted by CAlexio
nothing wrong with that.. but as calipers etc are so tough if not impossible to get painted, and other little details you get charged truly ridiculous amounts for.. what about just taking delivery and then doing the modifications yourself?

-calipers
-houndstooth seat inserts
-painted details like GT# script and others in red etc.
-even painted mirrors are so easy to remove and repaint or vinyl wrap.
-PORSCHE script stickers along door sills.

the gt3 is a great deal at $143k.. don't give up the house by giving them absurd money for options you can do yourself. makes it more fun anyway.
this is what i'm planning on doing with the painted key and the headlight cleaner. It'd be nice to have it already done for me on delivery, but the kind of money they're asking for for a little bit of paint on the key or the headlight cleaner is insane.

i.e.: $530 for the painted key + leather pouch, but if you buy it on your own from Suncoast, the paint matched sides are $120 for a set (if you buy it for both keys, that's $240), the leather pouch is $135 for a grand total of $375....why the factory charges $155 extra is beyond me
Old 03-14-2017, 07:32 PM
CDH911C2S
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by timwu12
this is what i'm planning on doing with the painted key and the headlight cleaner. It'd be nice to have it already done for me on delivery, but the kind of money they're asking for for a little bit of paint on the key or the headlight cleaner is insane.

i.e.: $530 for the painted key + leather pouch, but if you buy it on your own from Suncoast, the paint matched sides are $120 for a set (if you buy it for both keys, that's $240), the leather pouch is $135 for a grand total of $375....why the factory charges $155 extra is beyond me
VW "almost" Clean Diesel Air Fund = $155/per vehicle
Old 03-15-2017, 12:32 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

^^You can get painted key from China for like $20. Looks great and they do not chip because they are not painted but molded with the color concentrate.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:23 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
^^You can get painted key from China for like $20. Looks great and they do not chip because they are not painted but molded with the color concentrate.
yep... i was going to say.. that delta from the porsche price is quite big. painted key is $20, and holds up better.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:28 AM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 180 Posts

Sure these have all been addressed but here's my list.

-Option for backseat, scaffolding (US) or nothing
-Houndstooth seats
-Reworked rear air intakes, smaller and body-colored
-Option for red, yellow or black brake calipers regardless of brakes chosen
-Eliminate wart on roof for satellite (doesn't everybody use their phone now?)
-Have headlight washing system be optional
-Folding bucket seats for US
-Improve color palette by replacing some (e.g., Rhodium, Graphite, Chalk/Crayon, Miami Blue) with some more desirable classic greens, blues and grays).
-Keyless entry/drive
-Option to remove obnoxious GT3 striping on seats

And other than that it's pretty perfect if you ask me.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:00 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

Has any one confirmed that the wart can be eliminated like on the 991 GT3??
Old 03-15-2017, 04:22 PM
fun2k
Racer

Since I haven't driven the car and will only consider a manual if allocated, I can only:

1. Hope the manual diff(for manual ver) lasts longer than 997 gt3s
2. Hope it revs move freely than 997.2 gt3
3. Hope it rides like 997 gt3, 991 gt3 too soft for me. Give more options for suspension selection.
4. Hope it dosent sound muted when downshifting from med revs and not 7k plus rpms. 3 modes of exhaust, one fully open.
5. Hope they give me an option to choose gearing, im not gonna do 200 mph on street. so make it erm 150mph car, i want to rev rev and rev to avoid going "Inside" every time ;
6. Hope the rear end is less grippy ,more tail happy like 911 R.
7. Hope the shifter is as smooth as gt4.
8. Hope they come back to their senses and stop giving us half carbon option for the side mirrors??? why not make it full carbon and charge more??
9. Hope they deliver the car to me tomorrow . Yes please take my money!
10. Hope they DO NOT give me back deposit with a "no more allocations" like last time (yes 911 R )
Old 03-15-2017, 04:41 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by fun2k
Since I haven't driven the car and will only consider a manual if allocated, I can only:

1. Hope the manual diff(for manual ver) lasts longer than 997 gt3s
2. Hope it revs move freely than 997.2 gt3
3. Hope it rides like 997 gt3, 991 gt3 too soft for me. Give more options for suspension selection.
4. Hope it dosent sound muted when downshifting from med revs and not 7k plus rpms. 3 modes of exhaust, one fully open.
5. Hope they give me an option to choose gearing, im not gonna do 200 mph on street. so make it erm 150mph car, i want to rev rev and rev to avoid going "Inside" every time ;
6. Hope the rear end is less grippy ,more tail happy like 911 R.
7. Hope the shifter is as smooth as gt4.
8. Hope they come back to their senses and stop giving us half carbon option for the side mirrors??? why not make it full carbon and charge more??
9. Hope they deliver the car to me tomorrow . Yes please take my money!
10. Hope they DO NOT give me back deposit with a "no more allocations" like last time (yes 911 R )
If the 911R is any indication, I can confirm you should be very happy with 2,3,4... and definitely don't worry ab 5 as its a very short gearbox which will have you at 3500 rpm at 75mph .. car always singing. No idea on the rest.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:45 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
If the 911R is any indication, I can confirm you should be very happy with 2,3,4... and definitely don't worry ab 5 as its a very short gearbox which will have you at 3500 rpm at 75mph .. car always singing. No idea on the rest.
Alex, what about the smoothness of the shifter? Have you driven a gt4?
Old 03-16-2017, 01:23 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman
I actually prefer the looks of the 991.1, but it seems the majority of those cosmetic changes in the front are functional, so not a big deal.
Totally with you.

I think the 991.1 GT3 was fantastic aesthetically. The 991.2 intakes look cheap and cobbled on, but I am hopeful the performance gains will negate the cosmetic losses, kind of like the downforce increases are weighed against the increased aero drag. The form-follows-function yin/yang karmic balance the engineers have to slackline balance with the exterior design team.

It's funny how throttle pedal actuation seems to smooth cosmetic concerns quietly into the subconscious and the smile you have when you exit one of these cars can't be melted by a glance at some flakey design element (orange turning markers, 996 headlights, or 997.1 rear wings).
Old 03-16-2017, 01:27 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Has any one confirmed that the wart can be eliminated like on the 991 GT3??
I sure hope so. It's like a dashboad STD. What an annoying distraction. I think dashwarts are caused by PPV - Porsche Poseur Virus.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 what they should do better