Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 what they should do better

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 11:46 AM
ChicagoM4
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
and where s the fiber ? painted with a cheap plastic coating?
Originally Posted by Drifting
Agree if they are carbon fiber they should look like carbon fiber.
Originally Posted by Drifting
the porsche website (and configurator descriptions) are incorrect more often than they should be for the car company with the highest average profit per car in the world.

Jeez, you'd think they could afford to pay the right people to ensure their online information was always correct.
I couldn't agree more with you guys. Maybe it's a mistake, maybe it's not. When they first posted the tech data they said the transmission was either a PDK or 7-speed manual, lol. If it is CF then yes why not just make it look CF. The only reason not to make it look CF is to match the splitter, side skits, etc.

Here's where I saw it... http://www.porsche.com/microsite/911...el/rearspoiler
Old 03-12-2017, 11:53 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by dark knight
i would like a center console mounted parking brake
+1 Forgot that on my list.

Or at least one we could program our selfs how it should behave. (Not activating on open door).
Old 03-12-2017, 01:14 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 940 Likes on 544 Posts

Make Centerlocks an option. It's been such a nice experience on the GT4 without them. I think I finally have all the lithium grease out of my armpits.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:57 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I think I finally have all the lithium grease out of my armpits.
Lol!
Old 03-12-2017, 03:50 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kobalt
+1 Forgot that on my list.

Or at least one we could program our selfs how it should behave. (Not activating on open door).
Boy, do I ever agree with this.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:55 AM
jacksojf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on lugs vs center locks; CLs look cool but seem to be a PITA based on feedback on RL...
Old 03-13-2017, 12:52 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Thanks for posting!

Anyone have the 991.1 GT3 and RS/R graphs for comparison?
Old 03-13-2017, 01:27 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Before i drove an R with LWFW, I assumed this was a huge issue. Having spent 2 full days in one, I would say that not having it is not the end of the world, allow me to explain....

On forums, there is a lot of theory... which leads to a lot of imagined hyperbole... little things get built up to be really huge things. Take this example where many of us non-R owners have talked about the LWFW like it's some holy grail.. because scarcity and unachievability lead us to believe its so. my humble opinion is that while it's interesting to hear the chunter of a rattling flywheel, it's a mild sound which you can take or leave. Additionally, while the engine revs more freely with the LWFW, its very possible that the non-hydraulic valvetrain of the new GT3 engine MAY feel equally as peppy.. or "snappy" as AP says due to the reduced internal friction... which negate any loss of liveliness from no LWFW.

All things considered, I would put money on the fact that the new 4.0 with the new internals, may feel more exciting than the "old" on the R with the LWFW.

I'm going to say something controversial or unpopular? We did some nice pulls in the R today.. and the top end surge is notTHAT impressive. I know everyone is bowing down to the R god, but I've had the fortune of driving a lot of impressive sports cars in my life on road and on track, so I think I can confidently say that the top end of this engine is not really anything to write home about. In RS guise, the grip of the front end on the track blows you away, and the speed of the PDK-s shifts amazes...and In the R guise, the wonderful sound and mechanical sensation is definitely special. But it's not the best top end.. it doesn't blow your mind like a v12 Ferrari does. On the other hand, i think this new 4.0 will really impress from 6-9k rpm (based on AP's interview with Pistonheads).. even, without a LWFW.

These are all suppositions and hunches on my part, not meaning to detract from the obsequious and almost fanatic compliments that the R and its LWFW has garnered thus far. I'm about to spend another week and an easy 1-2000 miles with this car, so maybe I'll lose my mind over it like everyone else has. But for now I'll venture that this is not the end all-be all which it has been made out to be. (Although if I had ONE car to own for the rest of my life.. it would be hard to beat a manual high revving 911). Let's just trust the Porsche is always improving, and that a new engine with a dual mass flywheel might be even more exciting?

Sorry if I insulted anyone's god.. I'll finish this overly verbose post by saying that of the multiple 1000hp+ cars and special editions I've road driven and tracked.. a manual 911 with a lofty tach would still be my choice... it's just that the pinnacle may still be forthcoming... and other factors outside of a LWFW could still improve the experience.
Sorry if I confused you. I don't believe the R to a god-like car with or w/out LWFW. There are many-a-911 I'd put in front of it for that title. But, who knows, I haven't driven one yet? I could be dead wrong.

What I will stand by is that if you gave people a choice between LWFW and DMFW on the same car (991R, 997gt's, 991.2gt3, etc) there would be considerably more LWFW's ordered than DMFW. so, if any complaints (and there are VERY few), that's one of only I can come up with vs the R (I like wings on 911gt's).
Old 03-13-2017, 01:29 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
Sorry if I confused you. I don't believe the R to a god-like car with or w/out LWFW. There are many-a-911 I'd put in front of it for that title. But, who knows, I haven't driven one yet? I could be dead wrong.

What I will stand by is that if you gave people a choice between LWFW and DMFW on the same car (991R, 997gt's, 991.2gt3, etc) there would be considerably more LWFW's ordered than DMFW. so, if any complaints (and there are VERY few), that's one of only I can come up with vs the R (I like wings on 911gt's).
And yes I realize past gt3's were all DMFW while RS was reserved for LWFW. maybe we'll get LWFW option for upcoming RS's? It's not a given they will be pdk-only.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:39 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 227 Likes on 130 Posts

^I would expect to see it on the RS..
It's entirely possible that with the increase in RPMs, the harmonics were just bad enough to where PAG decided against any offering.. Or it could be to limit the platform and save these "race" inspired details for the RS..
Although I believe AP to be the #1 hypeman for the PCar concert.. I wouldn't install a SMFW, via aftermarket.. Better to err on the side of caution..
Old 03-13-2017, 01:52 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by jacksojf
+1 on lugs vs center locks; CLs look cool but seem to be a PITA based on feedback on RL...
it is
Old 03-13-2017, 02:04 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Failures that that need to be fixed:
Clubsport package in a box available in the USA. (Big off road only disclaimer OK) add Side muffler delete option
Plastics look cheap. On other models you could paint to make it look nice (fender vents, air intakes and engine deck). That may not be the best solution for the lower body parts on a track car and I’m sure they can use higher grade plastics for just the bottom..
TPMS, 26PSI is too high to go out on track with but anything below 26 PSI and the system won’t “take” and so you get constant TPMS warnings on the dash.
Hazard button needs to go between the air vents up on the dash.
Parking brake button should be in the center console and automatic parking brake should be able to be able to be defeated for driving on off trailers with the door open.
Fuel gauge very inaccurate, first 50% lasts 30-40 minutes the last 50% 15 minutes with “low fuel” light glaring and limp mode if you get close to reserve.
Oil warning light, either overfill or underfill with “OK to drive to dealership” or “Stop driving” warning randomly coming on for either no reason or 100-200cc under or overfill. On a 8L dry sump, really?! Most of the time can be fixed with opening / closing decklid..
The car should come with setup recommended for track.
Camera Data system in the car that works, basically a built in VBox. Like Corvettes and CTSV’s have.
More settings for the PDKS, now only slush box mimic that lugs the engine or batsh!t crazy mode, something in between would be good. I really expected that in the new GT3.. The C2’s have it..

Wish list:
Active aero like TT
5 lug wheel option
Stiffer springs (Sport suspension option)
Old 03-13-2017, 03:09 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Failures that that need to be fixed:
Clubsport package in a box available in the USA. (Big off road only disclaimer OK) add Side muffler delete option
Plastics look cheap. On other models you could paint to make it look nice (fender vents, air intakes and engine deck). That may not be the best solution for the lower body parts on a track car and I’m sure they can use higher grade plastics for just the bottom..
TPMS, 26PSI is too high to go out on track with but anything below 26 PSI and the system won’t “take” and so you get constant TPMS warnings on the dash.
Hazard button needs to go between the air vents up on the dash.
Parking brake button should be in the center console and automatic parking brake should be able to be able to be defeated for driving on off trailers with the door open.
Fuel gauge very inaccurate, first 50% lasts 30-40 minutes the last 50% 15 minutes with “low fuel” light glaring and limp mode if you get close to reserve.
Oil warning light, either overfill or underfill with “OK to drive to dealership” or “Stop driving” warning randomly coming on for either no reason or 100-200cc under or overfill. On a 8L dry sump, really?! Most of the time can be fixed with opening / closing decklid..
The car should come with setup recommended for track.
Camera Data system in the car that works, basically a built in VBox. Like Corvettes and CTSV’s have.
More settings for the PDKS, now only slush box mimic that lugs the engine or batsh!t crazy mode, something in between would be good. I really expected that in the new GT3.. The C2’s have it..

Wish list:
Active aero like TT
5 lug wheel option
Stiffer springs (Sport suspension option)
Agree on all, especially the open door parking brake stupidity. Don't the engineers that dream this stuff ever drive the cars???
Old 03-13-2017, 05:20 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts

Nothing about engineering in this case

i find it miserable asking 160$ for the fuel cap alu look

the car costs more than 150k and must be included

but i can see they re running out of money so
4k GT3s×$160 is 0.5Mio in Alu look miserable caps!

maybe if RL organize a charity event to help PAG would look less miserable...
Old 03-13-2017, 05:36 PM
chance
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 29 Posts

all the black scoops are unfortunate. beautiful car though. hope to get my hands on one.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 what they should do better