Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 11:44 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts
Default Fantasy Customer Draft- Exciting Times at Porsche Fresno

So, the time is upon us. We have reached the point where we can start putting in builds for the next gen GT3.

Let me start by saying that I am so happy to have gotten so many rennlisters to come forward and try to get put on the list. I have been hearing horror stories from some of you guys on here and while it's not surprising to hear about "we don't have a list anymore" type antics from some of these guys, I'm sticking to my guns at MSRP.

We have about 25 local guys here in our area/county etc that have professed interest in these types of cars. I also have a whole book of buddies and RL friends etc that have asked to get added to the list.

I'm holding all my customers accountable to the ROFR- if I sell you the car I expect to be able to buy it back off you. We are a smaller store for now and I need the community's help building up. You guys are sick of the big name dealers gouging you but you need to be accountable and if you rip off one of my other customers by getting an allocation to flip it, I'm going to be super pissed. I want to take care of you guys, get you the cars, have rad track day events etc.

So,

Just to be clear this is how I decided to do our customer waiting list on these cars.

We are having a fantasy football style draft tomorrow at the dealership.

STEP 1: The Combine- guys are graded on their potential and contributions to the dealership previously. There is also a chronological component for guys that were in SUPER EARLY (aka over a year ago). Mooty and Martin were the first guys that requested to be on my list.

Lives in our Area: 3 points
GT3 or RS owner: 1 point
trackday guy: 1 point
bought a 911 from fresno: 1 point
Likeable dude: 1 point
Lets us sell his trades/ other makes: 2 points
owns porsche currently: 1 point
brings GT car in for service: 1 point
bought a cayenne or panamera from the store: 1 point
personally bought cars off me before: 2 points

STEP 2: not everyone wants the same thing- because some guys don't want a GT3 and only an RS or only a GT4 etc, we have to allocate people to specific lists.

GT3
GT3 Manual
GT4
GT3RS
GT2
GT2RS
911 cXX project speedste/r vip/ special order/ blah blah blah edition

STEP 3: barely anyone will realistically have a shot at PTS- due to the huge dealers and power PTS players like Walter's, Isringhausen, Main Line, Auto Gallery, etc etc little dudes get squeezed out of these slots because nobody picks up the phone from Exclusive when tiny stores call. Fact.

STEP 4: With everyone ranked, I personally call everyone on the list one at a time. We will pick out the top 12 local customers first. Then we will alternate between in town dudes and out of town dudes. I have a lot more guys from out of town (since I just moved here) and they will have to be patient. It's only fair that the top locals get the best chance since they have already shown the willingness to party/service/repeat.

STEP 5:

While I would love to infinitely add people to the list, I am not sure how many cars I can really get from Porsche as a new dealer.

Good luck to all 68 of my "listers"
Old 03-09-2017, 11:48 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 227 Likes on 130 Posts

Rather exciting!
GL with your new business C.J Ichiban..
Old 03-09-2017, 11:58 PM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Congrats on getting to this point, CJ. Sent you a follow-up PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:00 AM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Pretty cool, imagine if all dealers were this transparent. A trend has started, good luck to the Rennlist listers
Old 03-10-2017, 12:09 AM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Congrats CJ and good to see you up front about the process. I don't think I got on your list as being in Wisconsin as I don't think I would be able to help you grow your dealership much.

Also I am still mad at you for not selling me your blue/gold RS.
Just kidding about that.

One thing your dealership could do is up date the Rennlist community about timelines such as when allocations of cars and other such things dealing with new cars (like the new GT3). Since you have the real information it would help to sort through the BS and speculation.

Whatever I wish you the best of luck and hopefully one day I can buy a car from one of your dealerships.

tal
Old 03-10-2017, 12:16 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

This is so cool. I have always loved cars and car dealerships since childhood. As an adult, been turned off time and time again by dealer antics. This is how an enthusiast dealership should be. Bravo CJ. If I make it to the position of being able to afford one of these resales, I know where I will happily go!

And if Dieselgate conspires to give me a butt load of cash for my Cayenne, we'll be talking about shipping a Panamera Sport Turismo to Houston!
Old 03-10-2017, 12:24 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Love the transparency, C.J. Good luck with the new business!
Old 03-10-2017, 12:24 AM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I love fantasy sports.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:31 AM
JD911
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 49 Posts

CJ:

If I had a dealership like yours locally, I wouldn't have my RS. I bought it after being told I couldn't have a 991.2 GT3 slot!

Keep up the good work.

Sincerely,
Old 03-10-2017, 12:42 AM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome design. Best of luck CJ.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:11 AM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 141 Posts

I like transparency and your scoring system is a welcome, creative step. For myself, I'll just be patient at the dealership I patronize.

Not that it would do me any good being out of your market, but I'd weight local customers more than a 3 since the service business is so vital to a profitable dealership.

Best of luck to you and those on the Porsche lotto list.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:26 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Really cool. When in the market I know where to go. How about parts department ? You can supplement my supply vs. me going through Sonnen .
Old 03-10-2017, 01:33 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
Really cool. When in the market I know where to go. How about parts department ? You can supplement my supply vs. me going through Sonnen .
I'll sell you parts all day.

I can create a secret password monthly to give to my guys here in town and for guys who want to buy parts we can do it that way.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:34 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by WernerE
I like transparency and your scoring system is a welcome, creative step. For myself, I'll just be patient at the dealership I patronize.

Not that it would do me any good being out of your market, but I'd weight local customers more than a 3 since the service business is so vital to a profitable dealership.

Best of luck to you and those on the Porsche lotto list.
Well like I said the local guys will get 12 of the first 12 allocations.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:41 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the cut of your jib

PM sent

Quick Reply: Fantasy Customer Draft- Exciting Times at Porsche Fresno