991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advantage to living in a small state?

Old 03-09-2017, 03:44 PM
freeman727
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Advantage to living in a small state?

Hi All,

I'm new to Porsche and am eyeing getting into Porsche in a big way. I'm coming from an e90 M3 DCT. Looking to get into at 991.2 GT3 manual. I'm going GT silver and manual to match my now gone 2007 Mini Cooper S. I live in a small state who said I would be first on their list because I'm a local guy. They prefer local to remote sale. I hope they honor their word.

The car is meant for weekend drives and possible eventual tracking.

A few quick questions. Bose, yeah or nay? PCCB, yeah or nay? LED, yeah or nay? Sports Chrono, yeah or nay? Sports Bucket, yeah or nay?

Right now I have it spec'ed no Bose, no PCCB, no LED, yes SC and yes SB.

Thanks guys!
Old 03-09-2017, 04:01 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

You are going to get a lot of different views on that list.

- Bose: not the world's best audio. For me, the stock audio is more than enough. The real music happens in the back.
- PCCB: If you are going to do any serious track, probably avoid PCCB.
- LED: I like them. Great visibility at night. Latest tech.
- Sports Chrono: I like it, but it is personal preference. Most don't see the value.
- LWB seats: This one is hard. If you plan on going on mostly spirited cruises on the weekend, the 18-way seats are way more comfortable. If you want to track your car a lot, the LWB's are made for tracking, as they work with a harness. But they are not nearly as comfortable. Depending on your age, this may or may not be an issue.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:16 PM
freeman727
Racer

Originally Posted by robmypro

- Bose: not the world's best audio. For me, the stock audio is more than enough. The real music happens in the back.
- Sports Chrono: I like it, but it is personal preference. Most don't see the value.
- LWB seats: This one is hard. If you plan on going on mostly spirited cruises on the weekend, the 18-way seats are way more comfortable. If you want to track your car a lot, the LWB's are made for tracking, as they work with a harness. But they are not nearly as comfortable. Depending on your age, this may or may not be an issue.
I'm 40 so LWB it is. It just seems like a proper seat for a GT series car. Are the LWB seats hard to get in and out of? They don't offer back recline, correct?

I don't doubt the effectiveness of the PCCB, but 9k+?
Old 03-09-2017, 04:21 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by freeman727
I'm 40 so LWB it is. It just seems like a proper seat for a GT series car. Are the LWB seats hard to get in and out of? They don't offer back recline, correct?

I don't doubt the effectiveness of the PCCB, but 9k+?
Do your homework and search this forum... especially if you've never sat or driven in race buckets.. you will be better served by making an informed decision instead of others telling you to buy the lwbs.. many variables to consider including size, height and weight to name a few..

they are not for everyone and every body style..
Old 03-09-2017, 04:29 PM
Porschmich
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Freeman,
Good luck with your purchase. Think you have a pretty good idea what you want.
Lucky to be first on a list especially if you just started looking. Make sure to ask
you dealer if you will pay MSRP for the car or are they going to sell it to you for market value. Good luck.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:42 PM
freeman727
Racer

Originally Posted by robmypro

Originally Posted by Porschmich
Hi Freeman,
Good luck with your purchase. Think you have a pretty good idea what you want.
Lucky to be first on a list especially if you just started looking. Make sure to ask
you dealer if you will pay MSRP for the car or are they going to sell it to you for market value. Good luck.
Thanks, my dealer promised me MSRP. I wanna keep the car for the while but I have a thing against paying over MSRP for a new car.

I way 150 lbs and am 5'6". From what I read, smaller guys fit well in the LWB's. I'll see if I can sit in one to be sure before the order goes too far.

I'm thinking about doing the Atlanta Delivery. I want to go to Germany but planning a big trip like that will be a hassle and I don't thinking bringing wife and 7 yo daughter is a viable option.

Last edited by freeman727; 03-09-2017 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:47 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

If you're a smaller guy and have no low back problems then buckets are the way to go for sure.

If you have any question about your low back I would take the time to find someone on remnlist who will let you sit in their 991 LWBs for at least a 30 min drive.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:15 PM
freeman727
Racer

Dealer will have me pay $5k as deposit but give me a build sheet and charge me MSRP. He told me first allocation, so maybe Aug/Sept time-frame?

What do folks think about smoker's package, luggage net and aluminum pedals?
Old 03-10-2017, 03:19 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

Get the smokers, car looks much better with it, more finished. Net looks tacky.

Pedals are personal preference.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:59 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

While the devil on my right shoulder wants to say 'I hate you', the angel on my right says congratulations. Enjoy it in good health. No comment on the options, as that's so personal to each person. Can't go wrong if you get what you want.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:24 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I way 150 lbs and am 5'6". From what I read, smaller guys fit well in the LWB's. I'll see if I can sit in one to be sure before the order goes too far.
First and foremost, congrats on your allocation and welcome into Porsche. You do know now, you'll be hooked for life.
As far as the LWB's go, I'm 5'6" and weigh about 142lbs and they're perfect for me and I'm pushing 60. Getting in and out is also a piece of cake once you figure it out.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:20 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Congrats. I'm amazed that Porsche Delaware didn't already have a list interested .2 GT3 buyers. You are very lucky!
Old 03-10-2017, 09:06 PM
freeman727
Racer

Originally Posted by alpine-al
Congrats. I'm amazed that Porsche Delaware didn't already have a list interested .2 GT3 buyers. You are very lucky!
They wanted to sell to someone local and I responded the day of the 991.2 gt3 announcement. I feel lucky but getting wife to buy in is a bit tricky.

First world problem is gt silver or graphite blue metallic?
Old 03-10-2017, 10:01 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

They wanted to sell to someone local and I responded the day of the 991.2 gt3 announcement. I feel lucky but getting wife to buy in is a bit tricky.

First world problem is gt silver or graphite blue metallic?
I was at my dealer today talking about allocations and strolling the lot. Came across a graphite blue 4S. I have to say that it has to be the most overrated Porsche color ever. Everyone raves about it on here, but in person, it was totally underwhelming. The salesmen were referring to it as Concrete Blue, which is pretty accurate. Conversely, the GTSilver 718S two cars down caught my eye in an instant.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:19 PM
freeman727
Racer

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I was at my dealer today talking about allocations and strolling the lot. Came across a graphite blue 4S. I have to say that it has to be the most overrated Porsche color ever. Everyone raves about it on here, but in person, it was totally underwhelming. The salesmen were referring to it as Concrete Blue, which is pretty accurate. Conversely, the GTSilver 718S two cars down caught my eye in an instant.
I have GT silver on my prelim build. Silver for many reason including previous Mini Cooper in Pure silver, Silver being classic Porsche (this will be my first) and silver was my deceased mom's favorite color for cars. The aluminum pedals will be a nice upgrade to match the silver exterior and aluminum trim.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advantage to living in a small state?