Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left foot braking

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 11:20 AM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 240 Posts

CJ really has us all thinking with this Left Foot braking post. I just recently started experimenting with LF braking and like most things in life, I do it just a bit differently

I place both my left and right foot on the pedal to brake hard at the end of a long straight, which allows me to transition my right foot back to the throttle, while at the same time my left foot eases off during trail braking. This hybrid approach is easier for me to execute. It allows me to just focus on a smooth "lift" instead of the difficult smooth application.

For me, LF is not about the millisecond lost moving my right foot from throttle to brakes or the other direction, but about a simultaneous modulation of both the brakes and the throttle.

As weird as it seems, another thing to take into account is the mechanical effects LF braking has on the car... (or perhaps better said the effect of using both pedals simultaneously)

For those with Turbo cars - by simultaneously left foot braking while maintaining throttle input will keep a turbo spooled up.

For those with All Wheel Drive cars (like my Jag F type R), left foot braking engages the AWD feature which is really a fancy full car limited slip and puts all the wheels to work momentarily right when you need it most transitioning out of a turn.

Also, for polite drivers, don't forget in a DE situation that your brakes lights will be on while transitioning which might freakout someone following you closely while you are pulling away from them with your brakes lights on.

This video interview of Hans Stuck talking about learning to drive an Audi Quattro is what got me thinking about LF braking... it's an entertaining old racing program called the Unfair Advantage.

fast forward to 10:45 to listen to Hans' experience...

Old 07-25-2017, 11:31 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
I place both my left and right foot on the pedal to brake hard at the end of a long straight, which allows me to transition my right foot back to the throttle, while at the same time my left foot eases off during trail braking. This hybrid approach is easier for me to execute. It allows me to just focus on a smooth "lift" instead of the difficult smooth application.
Odd how people can be different. I'm exactly opposite. No problems in the application phase. Bit harder to smoothly "lift". My daily is a Cayenne Hybrid though, not the easiest cars to smoothly brake to a halt with the left foot.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:03 PM
Cookie991
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also find LFB is also really good for addressing corner exit under-steer in hairpins. Rather than lift, you can transfer weight to the front much more quickly with a small application of the brake while keeping the engine loaded up.

Your would't want to drive that way every lap, but its a handy tool in changing conditions.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:05 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,677 Likes on 779 Posts

^^ I see this as the biggest advantage in LFB. I can't, only in a gokart. Maybe I should start practicing..
Old 07-25-2017, 01:46 PM
Cookie991
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can do it in a kart, you can do it in a car

I had an interesting conversation with Ross Bentley (Author Speed Secrets), at a NW track day. We are conditioned to brake very smoothly and slowly driving on the road to make the experience enjoyable for our passengers. The right foot muscle memory we develop on the road goes against what we need on the race track; hard, fast brake application with zero coasting and roll off.

After years of karts and F3, my left foot is still not as smooth as my right but rather than beat myself up about it, I’ve come to the conclusion that’s a good thing. My left foot’s skill is aggressive hard, fast braking at the threshold, while my right is skilled at progressively smooth brake application and stopping the kids heads from bobbling. So I’ll generally use RFB on the road with passengers, and LFB on the track..

Maybe that’s what Kimi was on about?

Quick Reply: Left foot braking