Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left foot braking

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 04:31 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I've been doing it on the street, but I'm not yet there on taking it to the track. I'm sure I can save 1-2 seconds off a 2:30 lap time. I'm naturally right handed/left footed, so I'm hopeful I can get there.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:37 PM
levd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure about RS, but 991.1 GT3 is not LFB-compatible.

You will get all sort of strange things coming from transmission if you LFB in city traffic in this car. No problem on track but awful if you DD your car.

It was a major PITA for me. Nothing like this ever in 997.2TT PDK.

I had to re-learn back to RFB.

Another non LFB-compatible is S Diesel Macan. When you LFB this car in city traffic, it suddenly becomes irresponsible to throttle pedal for second or two. I almost crashed loaner Macan twice because of this.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:18 PM
lnirenberg
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 68 Posts

At the risk of dating myself squarely in geezer territory, when I got my license in the late '60s left foot braking was widely discouraged especially with 3 peddles. Being from the hates authority side of the spectrum, I left foot braked until about 25 yrs ago but stopped for reasons I can't recall. I've been practicing with my DD since fall, but my daily has ideal pedal placement for this. I agree with several posters that the 991 pedal placement is offset a little too far right but when I get back on track I'll give it a go. I absolutely can't imagine switching back and forth right/left foot braking dependent on corner as my muscle memory just like to brain kind isn't as flexible as it used to be.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:31 PM
mehoff
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I do both which is why I raise the topic.

For those guys that drive Laguna, Turn 6 comes to mind since you really try to roll a lot of speed through and don't want the car to radically porpoise- that is an: on throttle off throttle on brake off brake on throttle input all within a super short window of space and time.

I don't see any time advantage LFB w/ three pedals (maybe a tad of better front tire temp management) as it's primarily about less abrupt trail braking.

On a large twisty like Themal there is time in a Clubsport, but I don't know if it's more psychological as it's easier for me to carry more speed into hairpins with both the brake and accelerator available to stabilize the car.

In my 996 GT3-class car (faster than the CS), left foot trail braking is for turns 3-4, not 6. IMHO 6 requires more of a quick stab to set the nose, turn in blind and back on gas 10 feet before apex (about .5 of a sec letting the car roll, so no need for both feet). It pinches the corner a bit, but in my car it's demonstrably faster.....just got to get used to the blind turn in. I stop doing it after about 45 minutes in an enduro because margin for error is nothing.

Then again, I don't own a racing team so what do I know. Carry on.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:37 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by levd

You will get all sort of strange things coming from transmission if you LFB in city traffic in this car. No problem on track but awful if you DD your car.

Another non LFB-compatible is S Diesel Macan. When you LFB this car in city traffic, it suddenly becomes irresponsible to throttle pedal for second or two. I almost crashed loaner Macan twice because of this.
Benefits of LFB aside, I also thought that this was a bad idea in the GT3. Something to do with cruise control code, and when you tried to depress both the brake and the gas, the ECU didn't know what was going on, so shut off gas flow.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:43 PM
levd
Pro

Yes, this.

Another thing I was getting is seeing rev counter go up and hear engine revving high, but car just not getting any acceleration, like if clutch was slipping badly. Also some other strange things.

All of these problems ended forever when I gave up LFB.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:43 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrappy1972
I remember reading somewhere that left foot braking is actually not recommended on softly sprung cars (ie. 99% of street cars). The sudden and extreme weight transfer from full throttle to full brake does not provide a smooth transfer of weight due to the large degree of pitch. It makes sense to me intuitively.

"FULL BRAKE" doesn't happen like that with LFB. Don't confuse it with threshold straight line braking in a front engine car. Different animals. And "softly sprung" street cars---I get it. With the 991.1 GT3, it's spring rate and PASM are not soft by any means. It is all about feeling the physics of what you are doing with the center of gravity.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:04 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

levd.... I remember you having those issues! Was your car a 2014? or 2015? I have not had any of those issues.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:10 PM
ML///
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do it to settle the car on track before quick turn-ins when I can't take it flat; it seems to work pretty well. I just can't quite get the full-on hard braking at turn one with my left foot. I also enjoy left foot braking in stop-n-go traffic with an automatic - this way both legs get to work out.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:19 PM
levd
Pro

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
levd.... I remember you having those issues! Was your car a 2014? or 2015? I have not had any of those issues.
MY14, November 2013 production.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:37 PM
zweebach
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by levd

The tune on my 997 RS allows LFB and I have been working at left foot braking for years on the street. I have found that several cars get confused if there is too much brake/throttle overlap. Unfortunately as cars become "smarter" they seem to respond to this overlap by doing almost nothing. Almost nothing because they seem to roll forward lethargically. If pulling out into traffic, this puts you in harm's way without giving you the ability to get out of the way.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:56 PM
levd
Pro

Originally Posted by zweebach
Unfortunately as cars become "smarter" they seem to respond to this overlap by doing almost nothing. Almost nothing because they seem to roll forward lethargically. If pulling out into traffic, this puts you in harm's way without giving you the ability to get out of the way.
Yes. It's the issue I had.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:16 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I often find I associate braking style with the car. Obviously kart or some formula, you have no choice so you just do it. The old dog new tricks thing is hogwash imo.

Funny i I honed my use of it on the road in my McLaren 12C. The pedal setup and toe box was so natural for left foot braking, I just did it everywhere I drove the car (thanks Woking!).

The greatest challenge to me is finding the same level of finesse in a newly trained left foot that you have in a right foot with decades of practice.

I picked up a radical recently and, though not required physically, I just decided to never let my right foot hit the brake. Now it's the only way my brain thinks about driving that car. It certainly offers more flexibility in balancing at the limit.

When i race in my 997 cup though, habits kick in and I still right foot brake 80-90% of the lap. Only on unique balancing corners (omega at WSIR for example) do I make it a staple of every lap.

Great subject CJ. Generally never read about technique in this section. Plenty in Rennlist racing forum, but the cast over there is pretty set in stone. Nice to get some new opinions here
Old 03-09-2017, 07:55 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

That Rorhl video is sick

Old 03-09-2017, 08:01 PM
shentca
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was doing LFB in 991.1 GT3. I guess I overlapped throttle and brake and the master cylinder threw an error code. Brake remained on until shifting into 2nd gear after that. So would have to apply major throttle in 1st gear and then abruptly shift into 2nd gear to get brake to release. Had to get dealer to reset the master cylinder to drive it again! Didn't do LFB after that.

Quick Reply: Left foot braking