Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 07:12 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

AP said they wouldn't make 5k GT4s and I think worldwide it ended up being close to 6k. In the PH article he said they wouldn't make 10k 991.2 GT3s so I assume that means they'll make about 11k

if they don't and/or my dealer keeps up with the markup games, no biggie, Mclaren is making great products these days!
Old 03-13-2017, 07:17 PM
drechsler
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For you guys that need a chuckle.

Upon announcement of the .2, contacted my SA from purchase of '16 GTS a year ago..."hmm, not sure we can get you on the list but I will check" was the response.

The following day I was offered 7th spot for [$10K + 2-year buyback agreement]. Said "meh", and went on with my workday...

A day later, was referred by a friend to the GSM of another dealer. Ended up 4th on their list by signing a LOI. $0 out-of-pocket until they get me an allocation. Price locks when order locks. No buyback. I made sure this dealer knew I was only interested in a manual, and not in a particular hurry.

One day later, the 1st dealer follows up to see if I'm interested. Wait, what....2 days ago weren't you unsure you could even get me on the list? Surely there must be dozens of qualified buyers beating down your door with $10K checks? I politely, of course, declined and requested they keep me in mind as a buyer once the hysteria dies down.

In the end, I may or may not end up with a .2 allocation. Fine with me either way. Life is too short to be so aggressively chasing "the next thing" that I'm unable to enjoy what I have. For the guys frustrated at being jerked around....remember hysteria fuels hysteria. Place your efforts with a dealer you can respect and enjoy working with, and hang in for the long haul.

Good luck to all....
Old 03-13-2017, 07:27 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,800 Likes on 2,166 Posts

Originally Posted by drechsler
For you guys that need a chuckle.

Upon announcement of the .2, contacted my SA from purchase of '16 GTS a year ago..."hmm, not sure we can get you on the list but I will check" was the response.

The following day I was offered 7th spot for [$10K + 2-year buyback agreement]. Said "meh", and went on with my workday...

A day later, was referred by a friend to the GSM of another dealer. Ended up 4th on their list by signing a LOI. $0 out-of-pocket until they get me an allocation. Price locks when order locks. No buyback. I made sure this dealer knew I was only interested in a manual, and not in a particular hurry.

One day later, the 1st dealer follows up to see if I'm interested. Wait, what....2 days ago weren't you unsure you could even get me on the list? Surely there must be dozens of qualified buyers beating down your door with $10K checks? I politely, of course, declined and requested they keep me in mind as a buyer once the hysteria dies down.

In the end, I may or may not end up with a .2 allocation. Fine with me either way. Life is too short to be so aggressively chasing "the next thing" that I'm unable to enjoy what I have. For the guys frustrated at being jerked around....remember hysteria fuels hysteria. Place your efforts with a dealer you can respect and enjoy working with, and hang in for the long haul.

Good luck to all....
Great advice there.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:14 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 62 Posts

In one of the videos, Mark Webber said that the GT3's will be built in the same factory by the same people as the Cup cars implying this is something different than previous models. I'm not sure I buy that. He may be referring to the engine.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:50 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by ajw45
AP said they wouldn't make 5k GT4s and I think worldwide it ended up being close to 6k. In the PH article he said they wouldn't make 10k 991.2 GT3s so I assume that means they'll make about 11k

if they don't and/or my dealer keeps up with the markup games, no biggie, Mclaren is making great products these days!
Meh. I went and checked out the McLaren's this weekend and pretty much ruled them out as my fall back. They're just too out there supercar for me and just look like really expensive, really fragile toys. Don't think I could own one as a street car. All that visit did was fuel my unabated lust for a 488, as they had a Speciale/Scuderia(?) trade in on the showroom floor and it's just an orgasm on wheels.

I've resigned myself to dreschler's approach above. I'm not going to chase a car. If my dealer gets me one, great. If not, I won't buy anything. I'll just invest the extra cash and wait for something to come along that I really want and that I can actually get. I'm sure it's only a market correction away. If not, I'll just drive my C2S into the ground.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:58 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

I often see guys on this forum longing for a market correction (10% plus decline) because it will save them 20-30k on a new car. Question- won't a market correction cost you a hell of a lot more than 30k?

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Meh. I went and checked out the McLaren's this weekend and pretty much ruled them out as my fall back. They're just too out there supercar for me and just look like really expensive, really fragile toys. Don't think I could own one as a street car. All that visit did was fuel my unabated lust for a 488, as they had a Speciale/Scuderia(?) trade in on the showroom floor and it's just an orgasm on wheels.

I've resigned myself to dreschler's approach above. I'm not going to chase a car. If my dealer gets me one, great. If not, I won't buy anything. I'll just invest the extra cash and wait for something to come along that I really want and that I can actually get. I'm sure it's only a market correction away. If not, I'll just drive my C2S into the ground.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:10 PM
needspeed
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoM4
If you take a look at their latest US press release for sales figures (attached), caymans and boxsters are ~40% of overall production at Zuffenhausen. Of the 9k-10k 911s (60%) the majority are not GT cars... maybe only ~2-3k per year?? Who really knows. It's up to you to assume if this can be extrapolated to RoW... China may sell more Caymans/Boxsters etc...

Point is, it's easy to think that everyone want the new GT3 since it just debuted and we are on Rennlist in the GT section. Reality is, your typical guy or gal that walks into a Porsche dealership will most likely walk away with a non-GT car.
Seems like everyone wants the Macan. 911 sales have dropped by ~1000 units from 2015. My guess is the 991 line have reached its plateau.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:33 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by drechsler
The following day I was offered 7th spot for [$10K + 2-year buyback agreement]. Said "meh", and went on with my workday.......
I think you ought to name the dealership that said that.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:06 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
I often see guys on this forum longing for a market correction (10% plus decline) because it will save them 20-30k on a new car. Question- won't a market correction cost you a hell of a lot more than 30k?
Not if you've recently sold out of the market...

But I'm not trying to predict a correction. That's a fools errand in a market like this that is purely manipulated. This isn't a bubble in the classic sense. It's a manipububble. How long it can go on is very difficult to predict. That said, there are so, so many signs out there right now pointing to how ridiculous things have become.

I'm out of the market entirely now simply because I see more downside risk than upside opportunity over the moderate term. But I'm a super conservative guy when it comes to investing. I hate to lose more than I love to win.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:11 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by ExMB
I think you ought to name the dealership that said that.
While I wouldn't pay the premium, I'd gladly sign a 2 year buyback agreement to get a car. Heck I'd sign a 5 or 10 year agreement, because they're never going to see the car again. I'll never sell it and on the super low chance that I did, I'd be fine with just getting my money back.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:15 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,800 Likes on 2,166 Posts

I'm also fine with signing a 1-2 year first right of refusal repurchase by the dealership that sold me an GT car at MSRP....seems very fair to me. I'm sure flippers don't like it though.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:24 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
While I wouldn't pay the premium, I'd gladly sign a 2 year buyback agreement to get a car. Heck I'd sign a 5 or 10 year agreement, because they're never going to see the car again. I'll never sell it and on the super low chance that I did, I'd be fine with just getting my money back.
Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I'm also fine with signing a 1-2 year first right of refusal repurchase by the dealership that sold me an GT car at MSRP....seems very fair to me. I'm sure flippers don't like it though.
Except his post was for MSRP + MA
Old 03-14-2017, 12:43 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,163 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
In one of the videos, Mark Webber said that the GT3's will be built in the same factory by the same people as the Cup cars implying this is something different than previous models. I'm not sure I buy that. He may be referring to the engine.

No, Mark is correct. The Cup cars are built right on the same line as other 911s, at Zuffenhausen. They are then shipped off to Weissach to be finished.

Remember, a Cup car is just a bare GT3, as in bare down to the metal, not counting the racing suspensions and brakes.

When I toured the factory March 2nd, I just missed the Cup cars production by a day. They were done in a single batch.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:50 AM
Schmed
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 57 Posts

How much of a deposit ($) are your dealers asking you to fork over to get on the list? Fully refundable, I suppose, if you back out?
Old 03-14-2017, 01:01 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

$2500 deposit yeRs ahead of product arrival.

Quick Reply: GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread