OFFICIAL 991.2 GT3 RELEASE *Confirmed 500HP 4.0 & Manual option*

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 01:35 PM
Brosef
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Standard wheels are gloss Silver.

You can pay extra for the Satin finishes. Will work well on black, as the old gloss black ones showed water spots, scratches, etc. easily. A satin finish is more forgiving.

Attachment 1142640

Satin Platinum
Attachment 1142641
ugh, that really bites. the Satin Platinum is the business. works well on every color.
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
I heard something about improved software.
RWS also has updated software I'm sure as was mentioned for the R.

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Because this engine is so much more special than the RS 4.0.

I would not be surprised when the next RS comes out, that they have extracted more power by allowing the engine to rev to 10,000rpm because the technology they have used potentially allows them to do that.
Let that be true....

Originally Posted by squid42
I recommend that you look at the silver on the 991 GT3 wheels in person.

In my opinion the silver on there is spectacular. The paint formula is not the same one as for -say- Carrera S wheels' silver. The platinum satin on the other hand is the same on gt3 and S wheels. And IIRC platinum satin was default on 991.1 GT3 and gt3rs.

In the rarity department I'm pretty sure the silver is serving better.
+1 Its fastest as well.

Originally Posted by neanicu
I have mentioned this in a post...I don't remember if on this thread or in a different one :
Please do some research online on the differences between a double mass flywheel and a single mass. The difference between the 2 is quite substantial. The crankshaft is a high precision balanced assembly. If you create the slightest unbalance in that spinning assembly,it will send vibrations throughout the entire engine at certain RPM range. In time,the potential failures could be as minor as a Rear Main Seal oil leak,to the catastrophic failure of the engine.
AP is saying this crankshaft is different : larger and has drilled holes through it. Oil is fed through those holes to the rod bearings. He also specifically said that the single mass flywheel will create vibration that will hurt the main bearing in its vicinity.
Do any of you want to be the one to try it? Go right ahead! You will be a great test bed. AP made it very easy for you : he clearly said the single mass flywheel from the R WILL FIT on this engine! Forget about warranty though and this engine is not quite proven yet. All we have is words at the moment.
Sure...all of the above could just be AP's BS and he is just protecting the R by not offering the LWFW,but are you willing to take that bet?
You'd be nuts to try after that comment by AP.

Originally Posted by Nizer
Trakcar failed to add that it's also the fastest wheel....
Fixed it
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Availability update: just tried one of the bigger UK dealerships. They're part of Porsche Retail rather than most others, which are franchised. They have 12 allocations for this year and all are gone. I asked what about next year? They said we won't let you join the queue as there are 50-60 people already ahead of you!

I expect premiums are going to be even higher than last time unfortunately.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:57 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by DJM48
GET THE LIFT!

Yes - have front axle lift and use it every day. Speed humps, driveways, causeways, etc. The front of the car is very low and the lift makes a huge difference. Activates and deactivates almost instantaneously. I will post some photos coming into my driveway tomorrow to highlight the difference (pitch black outside at present!)

http://www.porsche.com/australia/mod...is/liftsystem/

And it only weighs 7kg.

http://www.rennteam.com/page/content...entId=43352085

I cannot accurately predict when the diffuser will scrape and I am not sure I hear it anyway over the sound of the engine. Compression of rear suspension coming down off a speed hump is the most likely scenario.

DM
Thank you DM. Much appreciated.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:00 PM
Daggie
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Didn't see this vid on the first page:
Old 03-08-2017, 02:05 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by shaytun
One aesthetic comment: those stripes look hideous on the buckets. I hope they're not charging to remove them. Should be a free option.
they look like the tackyish graphics you often see on those stretchy slip over nylon seat savers sold by JC Whitney-type places for eveything from trucks , minivan, to sporty cars
Old 03-08-2017, 02:11 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

^^^ somewhere mentioned you will be able to delete them I believe? I'm sure that will be the case.

Those Alcantara inserts are easily interchangeable and they'll give you the option I'm sure to go without.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:12 PM
Littleern
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Graville
Availability update: just tried one of the bigger UK dealerships. They're part of Porsche Retail rather than most others, which are franchised. They have 12 allocations for this year and all are gone. I asked what about next year? They said we won't let you join the queue as there are 50-60 people already ahead of you!

I haven't called around but did have to fill out a form last week with my UK dealer to show my driver history, etc. I assume they will use this to determine who will get one. No guarantees of a car of course but at least it looks like there is a more considered process this time. Then again, may all be a smokescreen and all cars have already gone to the DP's best customers (no problem with that) and/or friends (not so good).

Did you submit a LOI last year?
Old 03-08-2017, 02:16 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Graville

I feel bad for U.K. GT car drivers. You never get enough cars for your population and the price premiums are always much higher for UK cars compared to Western Europe or the USA.

Can you legally import and drive in the U.K., a LHD car from India, Australia, Japan, etc?
Old 03-08-2017, 02:21 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by Daggie
Didn't see this vid on the first page: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY5bcJfAaiw
Old 03-08-2017, 02:27 PM
hadokenny
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MKW
they look like the tackyish graphics you often see on those stretchy slip over nylon seat savers sold by JC Whitney-type places for eveything from trucks , minivan, to sporty cars
Get a set of cushions from 991.1 gt3 or gt4. Better yet, upholster them in hounds tooth *drool*
Old 03-08-2017, 02:33 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

only sl off topic : AP's " hauler " ...it's not a VW Group model like an RS6 Avant or Cayenne Turbo S , but a competing manuf product and a vehicle class mostly abhorred n Europe ...OTOH , a sign of a real " car guy " !

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-show...yessir-indeed/
Old 03-08-2017, 02:36 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

^^^ Rumble Bee! Love it.

Name:  photo805.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  243.9 KBName:  photo9.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  142.7 KB
Old 03-08-2017, 02:36 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Littleern
I haven't called around but did have to fill out a form last week with my UK dealer to show my driver history, etc. I assume they will use this to determine who will get one. No guarantees of a car of course but at least it looks like there is a more considered process this time. Then again, may all be a smokescreen and all cars have already gone to the DP's best customers (no problem with that) and/or friends (not so good).

Did you submit a LOI last year?
No I don't have a letter of intent. Tried a few months ago and nobody would take one then either. So you're being asked about driver history and you HAVE sent a LOI? When did you send it? Surely it should be down to the order the LOIs went in rather than driving history!
Old 03-08-2017, 02:40 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
^^^ somewhere mentioned you will be able to delete them I believe? I'm sure that will be the case.

Those Alcantara inserts are easily interchangeable and they'll give you the option I'm sure to go without.
The Poseur's Guide to buying a GT3...
Step 1: get GT3 PFF for rock chips
Step 2: have houndstooth or tartan seat inserts made for LWB.
Step 3: tire stickers...
(I'll stop there)... but my point is, those inserts are $500 away from looking great.)

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL 991.2 GT3 RELEASE *Confirmed 500HP 4.0 & Manual option*