Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: The Western Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 01:48 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

The thing about 1-2 years in jail was sort of a no go for me.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:57 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
GT3's need a little more room to stretch their legs than afforded in the prison yard
Old 03-23-2017, 02:24 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by GrantG
GT3's need a little more room to stretch their legs than afforded in the prison yard

I didn't want to worry about getting pulled over, and having them find the jammer. The law says they can rip it out on the spot, and that seems like more than I am willing to deal with. So...drive sane on the road without detector and hope my wife smiling is enough!
Old 03-23-2017, 08:38 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd come visit you.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:41 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by bronson7
I'd come visit you.
And let me guess, Bronson. You'd offer to drive my car occasionally, too.

What are friends for? LOL
Old 03-24-2017, 01:36 AM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

They treat them here like they treat radar jammers, seriously. I had one installed on a car here years ago before the law was passed. After it was passed, eventually turned it off. Not worth it. Esp in places like those canyon runs, cops will get a rough estimate just from a visual and if they see no reading or a weird result on the gun you're dead meat. Plus some modern guns can tell if they are being jammed.

Pro tip, low cross section front end like a GT3 and no front plate helps buy some time.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:56 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Deleted.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:59 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by signes
They treat them here like they treat radar jammers, seriously. I had one installed on a car here years ago before the law was passed. After it was passed, eventually turned it off. Not worth it. Esp in places like those canyon runs, cops will get a rough estimate just from a visual and if they see no reading or a weird result on the gun you're dead meat. Plus some modern guns can tell if they are being jammed.

Pro tip, low cross section front end like a GT3 and no front plate helps buy some time.
I hear you. I would not feel good being pulled over after jamming a cop. Anything and everything bad that can happen is going to happen. I just run w/o detectors, keep it sane, and be really cool if i get pulled over. The only other time i was pulled over the cop was a car guy, and we ended up shooting the **** for 20 minutes. Just got a warning. If i had a detector, the conversation would have been very different.

Too much laser here in Colorado.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:18 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Speaking of Colorado...it was 72 degrees yesterday, so we took the GT3 out for a little drive. Woke up today to 5 inches of snow. That's Colorado.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:50 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

I found this...

(3) Radar jamming devices are subject to seizure by any peace officer and may be confiscated and destroyed by order of the court in which a violation of this section is charged.

(4) A violation of subsection (1) of this section is a class 2 misdemeanor traffic offense, punishable as provided in section 42-4-1701 (3) (a) (II) (A).
Correct. Radar jamming devices are illegal... I believe they're illegal in all 50 states since radar is governed by the FCC directly. There is definitely a clear delineation between the two. Or I should say the two if they existed, but I'm pretty sure there are no consumer radar jamming devices on the market.

AFAIK, laser jamming is only illegal in (google search): California, Colorado, Illinois, Minnesota, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, and Virginia.

So yeah... Colorado, you're right, and I'm just too lazy to delete the above.

Anyway, ALP is technically a parking sensor and pretty discrete. I used to leave one of the boxes in my car in case I got stopped going through South Carolina because they're clearly labeled as parking sensors. They need to be flashed with different software in order to jam lasers. Also, the preferred method of use is called JTK (jam to kill) which means turning off your jammers once they notify you of a signal and you've slowed down to posted speed limit. Usually that can be done in a second or two with enough time for the LEO to get your speed and just think his gun had a quick moment of malfunction. Leaving them on all the time is considered a big No-no in the jamming community (RDForum.org) because it's essentially like thumbing your nose at LEO and making them more eager to do something to combat the practice.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:16 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by tonymission
Correct. Radar jamming devices are illegal... I believe they're illegal in all 50 states since radar is governed by the FCC directly. There is definitely a clear delineation between the two. Or I should say the two if they existed, but I'm pretty sure there are no consumer radar jamming devices on the market.

AFAIK, laser jamming is only illegal in (google search): California, Colorado, Illinois, Minnesota, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, and Virginia.

So yeah... Colorado, you're right, and I'm just too lazy to delete the above.

Anyway, ALP is technically a parking sensor and pretty discrete. I used to leave one of the boxes in my car in case I got stopped going through South Carolina because they're clearly labeled as parking sensors. They need to be flashed with different software in order to jam lasers. Also, the preferred method of use is called JTK (jam to kill) which means turning off your jammers once they notify you of a signal and you've slowed down to posted speed limit. Usually that can be done in a second or two with enough time for the LEO to get your speed and just think his gun had a quick moment of malfunction. Leaving them on all the time is considered a big No-no in the jamming community (RDForum.org) because it's essentially like thumbing your nose at LEO and making them more eager to do something to combat the practice.
Hey Tony, thanks for the info. Yeah, I have spent a fair amount of time over at rdforum.org and read the same thing about JTK. Definitely **** the cops off leaving them on.

I spent a lot of time thinking about this entire topic, and a buddy of mine is always giving me a ration for not using the one i have. He's in Australia, where they are illegal. Given the situation we have here in Colorado (laser jammers are illegal + cops use laser a lot), my general feelings are:

1. I don't like the focus that radar/laser detectors take away from driving my car. It seems like something was always chirping, and it became the main focus of driving the car.

2. It gave me a false sense of security, and I think my overall driving became more aggressive when I was using it. I don't think that was going to lead anywhere good.

3. In Colorado it is really easy to get a reckless driving ticket (25 mph over is reckless, and that is super easy in this car). Losing your license in this state is not Virginia easy, but it is still way too easy imo. So I want to make sure i keep things sane on the street. Having a device that lets me think I can get away with speeding is not good.

4. And then there's the ugliness of getting caught running a jammer. Fines, potential jail time (which I doubt I would get the first time), is just a really ugly event.

5. I spent some time reading police forums. Yeah, I have too much time on my hands. There were a lot of discussions around radar detectors, and every single cop said when they saw one in the car, it was a guaranteed ticket. Every time.

I add all this up, and I just think my best shot here in Colorado is to drive sane on the street, know when and where to have a little fun, and be really cool if/when I get pulled over. Going to the track has helped as well, as I don't feel the need to rip into the girl as often.

But it all depends on your area, and your specific set of circumstances.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:29 PM
robmypro
Race Director

I almost forgot. A few things I learned from reading those police forums...

1. Cops will ALMOST NEVER give a veteran a ticket. I mean, you really need to be trying to get one. So if I were a veteran, I would NEVER run a radar detector. You already have a get out of jail card. Be cool and you are going to walk away with a warning most of the time.

2. Cops will pull someone over and pretty much have their minds made up to give the driver a ticket, but in many cases they will decide not to because the driver is really cool. But the vast majority said that most of the time they were not going to give the driver a ticket, but because the guy was an ******* they decided to nail him.

3. Cops get pissed when you pull over in a place that puts them at risk. Don't make him get out of his car right next to traffic. If he sees you pull over into an area that maybe isn't ideal for your car (dirt, for example) he is going to feel a lot better about the encounter. I always start with hi officer, and is this a good spot for you?

4. Cops are definitely car guys. That can be an advantage! Just...don't be a dick!
Old 03-24-2017, 02:05 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Just...don't be a dick!
Words to live by
Old 03-24-2017, 02:31 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Words to live by
Ha, reading that reminded me of this:

Old 03-24-2017, 07:24 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Speaking of Colorado...it was 72 degrees yesterday, so we took the GT3 out for a little drive. Woke up today to 5 inches of snow. That's Colorado.
I'm so happy you got 5" of snow. We had 2 feet last week, pretty well all melted now though.

Quick Reply: OT: The Western Dragon