Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: How good is your driving environment?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 12:17 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts
Default OT: How good is your driving environment?

If, like me, you don't track your GT3, you are enjoying your car on public roads. The quality and variety of those roads is therefore critical. Weather is also a big factor. What good are those roads if there's snow on them?

A buddy of mine was visiting from Australia a few years ago, and after a few drives he commented that I may have stumbled on some of the greatest driving roads anywhere. Not sure about that, as some of the driving roads in Europe are amazing, but in the states I think I can make a case that the area I live in might be driving nirvana.

I live in a town called Evergreen, which is around 30 to 45 minutes west of Denver. Although the elevation is high (7,000 feet), my GT3 has so much more power than I need, it won't be an issue. These roads are all about twisties, elevation changes, and breathtaking scenery.

The weather in Colorado is unpredictable. Literally, in the winter one week it is below 0, and the next week we are in the 60s. And that means lots of opportunities in the winter to get the car out. The condition of our roads are also good, especially where you'll want to be driving. Not perfect, but definitely very good. Traffic is another plus. Sure you can get behind the occassional Prius, but for the most part you have a lot less traffic to deal with.

Are there any drawbacks? Two. Rocks and animals. I don't follow close behind other cars, and I am always scanning for deer. But any place with roads like ours are going to have those hazards.

On to the roads.

If I go right out of my neighborhood...

1. 5 minutes away from a nice twisty stretch that is maybe good for 40 minutes. This is higher elevation, but it has some spots for a bit more throttle.

2. 7-8 minutes away from a good 60 minute loop, with lots of variety, tight turns, opportunities to open her up, etc.

3. Three variations on number 2, depending on if i want to shorten the loop or not. Each will keep you busy with almost endless turns.

4. Maybe 20 minutes away starts a 4 hour loop from Pine to Colorado Springs. This road has everything. Definitely one of my favorites.

5. Maybe 30 minutes away is Guanella Pass. This is a good 2 hour drive with lots of twisties and amazing views.

6. And then there's the drive to Kenosha Pass, which in the Fall is incredible.

7. Pikes Peak. Yes, THAT Pikes Peak.

8. Possibly the nicest drive - The Million Dollar Highway to Telluride. I did it last year in the GT3, and it was jaw dropping, even by Colorado standards. This is best done over a weekend, as there are awesome roads in and around Telluride that you need a day to experience.

9. And there's the back way to Breckenridge or Vail.

If I go left from my neighborhood...

1. Within 10 minutes there is a route that has all the goodies...streams, twisties, etc., but the loop is maybe 30 minutes.

2. Within 20 minutes I am at Evergreen lake. It is a nice place to walk around, or grab something to eat and enjoy the views.

From there if I go left, I have multiple options...

3. One is Upper Bear Creek, which is a nice road with a creek running beside it. I don't drive this very often, mainly because there are too many other choices. But it is nice!

4. Maybe 10 minutes further and you begin The Western Dragon. 359 turns, 31 miles long, with a nice lake at the top to stretch the legs. This is also the route you can take to drive to Mount Evans. Don't be checking your phone for messages on this road. This road is definitely one of my favorites. The only negative is limited passing options if you get behind that Prius. This is a good 2.5 to 3 hour loop. It's got everything.

5. A little past the turnoff to the dragon is another route, this time with two choices.

- One involves winding roads, streams on one side, steep cliffs on the other...with 5 tunnels. It's usually pretty busy, and you have to watch for rocks and trucks, but it is a good route. This is good for a 2 hour loop easy.

- The other involves a drive to Estes Park. This can be a good 4 hour loop, but it has lots of winding roads, streams, rock cliffs, etc. It also goes through Boulder, which is beautiful.

6. And then there's the route we are going on today. It is probably my current favorite, as it has lots of twisties, switchbacks, crazy 180 degree hairpins, with dramatic elevation changes. I will upload a video of it asap.

If I go right at the lake there is a nice 45 minute drive down to Morrison. Lots of twisties, and good sections to open her up.

The thing about this place is I am constantly discovering new gems. And most of these routes start in my backyard. There are other amazing routes further out, like the Loveland Pass. I haven't even really ventured out.

Ultimately I plan on recording full-length videos of all of these routes so you guys can see what this place is like.

Okay...tell us about your driving environment. What places compare to this? I really want to know so we can come and experience it!
Old 03-05-2017, 12:26 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 40 Posts

I would agree, West of Denver is some great driving, regardless of the elevation.

Houston....not so much. Inside the loop the only twisties you get are from dodging potholes and the absolute crap patch jobs that they throw into those potholes.

There are one or two roads North of town that the local PCA will drive, but during good weather, they are also shared by our large local cycling community. Being a (mostly former) member of that community, I will be kind and say that at least deer tend to shoot directly across the road instead of meandering back and forth down the road. They can make it interesting sometimes.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:43 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Okay Rob, just told my wife, we're moving to Denver. Looking forward to some of your video's.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:45 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

There are a few of us that have found some decent roads in the Smokey Mountains.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:27 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Rob - I agree that we have some great roads, but I note a couple advantages of driving in the mountains of places like Switzerland and Germany. The actual road construction quality here is far worse - roads there are built to last, while ours crumble and buckle since they're seemingly built to endlessly employ road crews.

Second is the speed enforcement. It's really easy to lose your license here (and/or make insurance rates skyrocket), while in Europe it's just expensive (especially in switzerland) when you get the photo radar tix in the mail.

And to really safely exercise a fast car, I still really prefer the local track (we'll get you out there eventually and you'll be hooked )
Old 03-05-2017, 01:27 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

One of the reasons Colorado is on my list of potential retirement destinations in a few years. But I'd have to have big HP and/or turbos because the power loss at altitude drives me nuts.

The roads around here are great, at times, but you have to be smart about when and where. Aside from the random deer, our biggest obstacles are bicyclists, who seem to have never met a road too narrow, windy or dangerous for them to ride on. It's critical to never overdrive your sight lines out here, lest you meet a cyclist mid corner right in your lane.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:42 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

Great roads in la/malibu...

Issues are...

1) Lots of bike riders.

2) Too many cops. I realize we break the speed limit but we pump alot of money into our local economies.

3) Guys driving too slow and won't get our of your way.

My fav drive...

Meet in Hollywood early...around 6am.

Sunset to PCH.

PCH to Encinal Canyon.

Encinal Canyon to Mullholland Drive.

Mullholland drive to Malibu Canyon.

Malibu Canyon to PCH turn left...if lunchtime have lunch at Nobu. Great food and views.

also great to add

decker canyon
stunt road
and a few others

Also love the car culture in LA...lots of guys like us. They like to drive and don't really care about cars and coffee.

I really like my 991TTS for everyday and weekend driving but I miss .1RS and hope to add another back to my collection this year.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:48 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
There are a few of us that have found some decent roads in the Smokey Mountains.
This.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:31 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by richk
Great roads in la/malibu...

Issues are...

1) Lots of bike riders.

2) Too many cops. I realize we break the speed limit but we pump alot of money into our local economies.

3) Guys driving too slow and won't get our of your way.

My fav drive...

Meet in Hollywood early...around 6am.

Sunset to PCH.

PCH to Encinal Canyon.

Encinal Canyon to Mullholland Drive.

Mullholland drive to Malibu Canyon.

Malibu Canyon to PCH turn left...if lunchtime have lunch at Nobu. Great food and views.

also great to add

decker canyon
stunt road
and a few others

Also love the car culture in LA...lots of guys like us. They like to drive and don't really care about cars and coffee.

I really like my 991TTS for everyday and weekend driving but I miss .1RS and hope to add another back to my collection this year.
Very jealous. That area is beautiful. Not to mention how much I love nobu
Old 03-05-2017, 03:43 PM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 190 Posts

the smaller the roads - the bigger the fun

Sunday. bored.
first church, second sin.

Facebook Post
Old 03-05-2017, 03:55 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts

A few of us live on the north side of Atlanta (Alpharetta/Milton). This is where the Smokies event begins. Within about 20 minutes you can be into some very fun driving. There lots and lots of different routes you can take so its not the samething every time. sgroer and I have met up at 6:00 am on a weekday, driven for a couple of hours, grabbed breakfast and been at the office by noon. There are also two tracks (AMP and Road Atlanta) within +/- an hour. I wonder if I would be as enamored with the GT3 if I lived in another area.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:43 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Spend summers in south Sweden. Roads are like your private race track. Especially before the vegetation grows to high next to the road. After harvest visibility is amazing.
Spending most time in Central Florida. Say no more. Prius or truck is the best car for Florida.
Well, biggest truck is probably safer.

The upside is that Sebring offers a ton of track time.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:58 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Scotland can be a good place to drive fast cars...

Old 03-05-2017, 05:00 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Its complete **** here in South Florida..
Old 03-05-2017, 05:10 PM
80s
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

This will sound very adult, yes i also have driven way too fast on traffic road. But getting the gt3 it is for track. If you do not intend more or less ever to track it get a carerra s (it now is a great car)
driving "spririted" is dangereous for everyone. Try taking it to the
track. And ps the clip w the cup car on normal roads, that IS NOT cool! Sprited driving on track very cool, endangering others lifes not ok!

Quick Reply: OT: How good is your driving environment?