Sponsored by:

Wealth Effect & Porsche GT Prices

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 10:13 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
You guys are succeeding in scaring me ...
Didn't mean to do that, but I'll be kind enough to take your GT3 allocation off your hands.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:17 PM
Leica 993
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
You guys are succeeding in scaring me ...
And the cherry on top? Read your bank deposit agreements. It's not even your money when it goes into the bank, you're simply a creditor to the bank when you make a deposit. If things go south, you'll need to get in line for your own money, behind those higher on the food chain.

I heard that the biggest landowner in the USA is the Federal Reserve, due to mortgaged backed securities held by them. Maybe that's the end goal, fee simple ownership of everything by global banking interests. Have a good evening
Old 03-02-2017, 10:19 PM
Leica 993
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Didn't mean to do that, but I'll be kind enough to take your GT3 allocation off your hands.
Yea, let's forget this end of the world stuff, tell us about your GT3 spec
Old 03-03-2017, 12:36 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Houndstooth
And the cherry on top? Read your bank deposit agreements. It's not even your money when it goes into the bank, you're simply a creditor to the bank when you make a deposit. If things go south, you'll need to get in line for your own money, behind those higher on the food chain.

I heard that the biggest landowner in the USA is the Federal Reserve, due to mortgaged backed securities held by them. Maybe that's the end goal, fee simple ownership of everything by global banking interests. Have a good evening
Do you know how banking actually works?

Notwithstanding the FDIC fund into which all FDIC regulated banks pay premia, depositors are well protected by the very thing you denigrate - the degree of leverage inherently necessary in profitable, efficient, fractional reserve banking.

Banks (and bank holding companies, to an extent) are highly supervised by their primary regulator, whether the institution is nationally or state chartered; assuming the absolute worst case scenario (and nothing anywhere near this transpired during the most recent financial crisis) in which a bank failed to open one day and instead said "Surprise, we took some losses and don't have any equity left! Sorry common equity holders!" ... the bank would no longer operate, could not take subsequent, further losses, and depositors would (eventually) be fine.

If you bank at a public institution, call into their earnings call next quarter and ask the CEO what will happen to your funds if the bank fails.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:00 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Houndstooth
I don't think productivity will ever take up the slack of these asset valuations, but to get to the "big reset" we will have to go through a sovereign debt crisis. I don't think this country is prepared for anything like that. Martial law, food lines, bartering, etc...
I know I sound like a broken record, but I totally disagree that it would take anything like that to cause a dramatic reduction in asset values in the U.S. We've had 'big resets' in the past with nothing remotely resembling that, and just because the risk factors/root causes are different this time, doesn't mean the end result won't be similar.

And I never said it would be rapid, or a large reset. The correction could just as easily manifest itself as an underperformance over the longer term. The only way asset values will continue to rise (IMO) is through more manipulation by central governments, and there just isn't much more room for them to move the levers without big consequences. God help us if we really did have a major debt/financial crisis somewhere in the a first world power at the moment. The central banks shot all their arrows manipulating us out of the last one and don't have much of any left.

Debt is the new equity and, thanks to the Central Banks, it's massively underpricing risk in this environment.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:44 PM
grendel88
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I know I sound like a broken record, but I totally disagree that it would take anything like that to cause a dramatic reduction in asset values in the U.S. We've had 'big resets' in the past with nothing remotely resembling that, and just because the risk factors/root causes are different this time, doesn't mean the end result won't be similar.

And I never said it would be rapid, or a large reset. The correction could just as easily manifest itself as an underperformance over the longer term. The only way asset values will continue to rise (IMO) is through more manipulation by central governments, and there just isn't much more room for them to move the levers without big consequences. God help us if we really did have a major debt/financial crisis somewhere in the a first world power at the moment. The central banks shot all their arrows manipulating us out of the last one and don't have much of any left.

Debt is the new equity and, thanks to the Central Banks, it's massively underpricing risk in this environment.
But this is only part of the problem. The Central Bank policy was supposed to bring inflation, but because of technology and globalization and a dozen other crazy macro concepts, real inflation in consumables has been hard to achieve in the US and Europe so we get asset inflation, which is far less consumable/destructible. But monetary policy has always been a broad stroke policy weapon. The cost of things in this country is so out of whack now. A flat screen TV for $300. A new top of the line cell phone for $800. A t shirt for $5. Basically, cheap money was supposed to drive our consumer economy, instead cheap money drove the investor economy. The underlying problem is still as simple as the cycle of production and consumption.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:39 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by grendel88
Basically, cheap money was supposed to drive our consumer economy, instead cheap money drove the investor economy. The underlying problem is still as simple as the cycle of production and consumption.
On that bolded part, we again disagree. IMO, that was not the real intent on the part of policymakers at all. It was to prop up asset prices, plain and simple.

And the only reason it doesn't appear there is inflation is because of the way it's measured and the fact that there are huge regional differences. My big four expenditures, housing, food, energy and health care have all increased dramatically in the past few years as this bubble has progressed. Of course, core inflation doesn't capture that, nor does it account for regional housing shocks.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:19 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

I love this thread.

That is all, carry on!!
Old 03-03-2017, 08:29 PM
grendel88
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On that bolded part, we again disagree. IMO, that was not the real intent on the part of policymakers at all. It was to prop up asset prices, plain and simple.

And the only reason it doesn't appear there is inflation is because of the way it's measured and the fact that there are huge regional differences. My big four expenditures, housing, food, energy and health care have all increased dramatically in the past few years as this bubble has progressed. Of course, core inflation doesn't capture that, nor does it account for regional housing shocks.
I think it was a 70/30 thing, with a the main hope of inflation. I think the bailouts were more for asset protection. Either way, trusting bankers to save the world sounds like a plot line for a British farce.

Whatever the reason, it has not helped a portion of the population in the way that they want. It did not bring back $30 an hour jobs for under-skilled and under-educated labor. It did bring back meaningful industry in the communities that used to have them.

The four components that have increased for you have complicated connections to human labor in regards to production so none of this inflation seems to help the majority of people in the economy. Even healthcare, which is a service based product, hasn't been able to spread the gains across to the producers/servicers. There are so many ancillary costs associated with it that gets spread across so many industries that we can't make it work.

Look at IT law, it is crazy hot mess as we try to put a value figure on intellectual production. How do we value an idea? How do determine the exact origin of the production of that idea and reward it? Until we can effective come up with a solution to distribute wealth in a way that somehow encourages competition and compels sharing for the greater good, we will always have this crap.

In the end, you and I live in one the most affluent and opportunity filled areas of our country. We can have fun on forum boards talking about getting $150k toys and complain if we have to pay an additional premium to buy these toys. Even with the asset bubble, we hopefully have diversified investments, good health, good education, and good skills to further enrich ourselves or weather any economic storm.

I just want a new 6 speed GT3...
Old 03-05-2017, 09:08 PM
two2012spyders
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Sounds like a good situation to be in. Neither am I a financial whiz. Just common sense.

Way to many people live in a house they can't afford and drive a car they can't afford. They actually don't own anything. Just borrowing it.
Actually, even when you own it you are borrowing it--- You can't take it with you.

I like leasing because my downside depreciation cost is fixed (absorbed but the manufacturer through a fixed residual) and I only pay sales tax on the part I use (e.g., tax on the 37.5% with a three year 12,000 lease on a GTS).

Of course financial discipline is always recommended.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:12 PM
two2012spyders
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Anyone that think this hype will continue for the next 10 years is ignorant and doesn't have a rear view mirror.
Always been the problem with human greed. When things are up we get blindfolded and don't plan ahead for the bad times coming.

Every day I hear,

Money is cheap. Just borrow more and don't use your own money.
The opposite seems like a better idea. Pay off as much as you can when things are up and be depth free when it crashes.
This! Of course, everyone hates to buy or sell to early and first lose money or leave too much on the table. Timing is everything and most difficult. I presume scaling in or out may be the best approach.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:15 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Read a few more articles yesterday about all the warning signs out there about how ridiculous valuations are at the moment and how similar the metrics are to the last crash, then watched the Big Short again last night just for good measure. Just need the bubble to keep floating for about 60 more days.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:20 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Read a few more articles yesterday about all the warning signs out there about how ridiculous valuations are at the moment and how similar the metrics are to the last crash, then watched the Big Short again last night just for good measure. Just need the bubble to keep floating for about 60 more days.
I'm not disagreeing that there is a bubble, but trying to time it is really difficult. Hard to predict whether there is room for much more growth before popping or whether it's very imminent.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:57 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by GrantG
I'm not disagreeing that there is a bubble, but trying to time it is really difficult. Hard to predict whether there is room for much more growth before popping or whether it's very imminent.
Totally agree and I'm not saying it's imminent or even that I really hope it happens, though I would welcome a slow return to a reasonably priced market. I also realize that the policy makers still have some power to manipulate the market for a while longer. Kinda like how the big banks manipulated the CDO market until they unloaded all their long positions during the last crash.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:10 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,792 Likes on 2,194 Posts

So what's happening with mortgage interest rates? Why the spike up starting in November? Are the rates going to correct downwards before going back up again?

Quick Reply: Wealth Effect & Porsche GT Prices