911R sells for $380k

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 03:31 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I keep hearing that, but if that is the case, how come used GT3s have still been trading above MSRP all across the country? I'm trying to avoid buying out of State due to all the smog/registration BS one has to go through here in California, but I may just do that if I have to do so. But Porsche could solve that problem by simply producing more cars for this market. All the dealers out here have lists way longer than the allocations they're expecting. If the demand is there, why not just produce the damn cars? Where's the profit in having customers move to other brands?
I thought new Porsches were 50-State compliant, no?
Old 02-22-2017, 03:34 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I thought new Porsches were 50-State compliant, no?
Doesn't matter. If you bring a car in from out of State, even brand new, it has to be VIN verified and smogged and registered within a relatively short period of time. A headache, particularly if the smog guy won't accept the fact that he can't view the engine to do all his checks and/or if you throw a code, which often happens if the battery was recently low due to transit. A headache one shouldn't have to go through just to buy a car. I did it with one of my Porsches and swore I'd never do it again.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:46 PM
grendel88
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I keep hearing that, but if that is the case, how come used GT3s have still been trading above MSRP all across the country? I'm trying to avoid buying out of State due to all the smog/registration BS one has to go through here in California, but I may just do that if I have to do so. But Porsche could solve that problem by simply producing more cars for this market. All the dealers out here have lists way longer than the allocations they're expecting. If the demand is there, why not just produce the damn cars? Where's the profit in having customers move to other brands?
McLaren was not in the $300K market 6 years ago. They were not in the $200K one year ago. McLaren is what Porsche used to be before the Cayennes, Panameras, and Macans. Now, there is competition for the ultra sports cars for $200K. Wait till the 570LT comes out for $250K. I hope McLaren makes every high-end company re-evaluate their production strategies regarding their sports cars.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:26 PM
BusDriver
Instructor

Received 217 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Porsche gets Invoice(which is way below MSRP) for every single R they sell. They've decided to make 991 of them,what's the big deal...move on!
It's simple : those that couldn't get one are pissed,those that got one are happy Porsche made only 991 of them. It's like going to an exclusive party where they only allow hot women and just a few lucky men. The men that can't get in are pissed,the ones that got in are super excited of the situation and happy they'll get all the women.
Originally Posted by Footsoldier
I agree with the pic in the post above...

More than that, I agree that the R is overhyped - it's the best all-round car I own, but it's not intrinsically worth the figures being quoted/paid (which are well in exces of $380k in Europe at least).

Sustainable.., I doubt it, but only in the same way that the whole market does not appear sustainable. I put cars in the same mental pot as a family house - buy what you can, enjoy it without any thought to financial gain. When/if you finally want to sell it, any profit is a bonus. Fluctuations along the way are meaningless.

i don't agree with the idea that Porsche are damaging the brand. Ok some of us are unhappy (even if successful) with all the machinations that go on to get an allocation, but what's the reality?

More 991GT3/RS sold or ordered than ever before. The SUV buyer who maybe never wants an R is ever more seduced by the brand association, which is the reason that Porsche sells the SUVs in the first place. A number of R buyers keep buying more cars, or ordering more options in case they are dropped off the list,etc.

Bottom line is that demand for the GT product is massively underpinned by the idea that it's cheap or profitable motoring. The R only enhances that. It's hard to see where Porsche are going wrong at a macro level (even long term), even if there are individual customers being lost along the way.

(One thing I find totally class-less is when people demean others cars, just because they are unhappy with the brand or their own failure to secure a "winning lottery ticket". I wouldn't tell anyone their $2k rusting Geo Metro was 'dumb' or pointless. Wouldn't praise it insincerely either; would just keep quiet as its their car. Good manners need to be learnt by some, clearly.)
Originally Posted by GT3RS-Fan1
Very well stated and clearly articulated. To me if I got the car that I wanted, I'm happy that I have it. I wanted an Aperta but never got the chance to have one unless I pay the premium on the "Secondary Market." The premium in my opinion is not worth it so I moved on but still love to have an Aperta. Maybe someday but in any given forum I did not disgrace the Aperta or how Ferrari limited the production numbers and not satisfy and meet the demand.

Lets face it. Neither Ferrari nor PORSCHE is hurting for money, and many are still craving for the cars they make.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
Thank you.

For the 1 or 2 individuals getting worked up to a frothing display of bad manners and attacking people for their access to a particular car...remember the following:

To Porsche, the market response to the Cayman GT4 and 911R established the business case for manual cars. Furthermore, the 911R helped amortize the engineering costs of the 6 speed manual gearbox. Have faith that with the upcoming 991.2 GT3, Porsche will have something very good for the faithful. And that car will be available to all.

BTW, having been denied special cars repeatedly, I am familiar with rejection. Denied the new Ford GT despite great history (25+ years incl. owning a 2006 Ford GT from new). Denied limited editions by Ferrari despite buying every 4 seater at MSRP. Etc, etc, etc, but nobody wants to hear such whining, and I certainly will only congratulate the lucky ones who got the new Ford GT or a new Limited Edition Ferrari.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:55 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,164 Likes on 503 Posts

Porsche gets Invoice(which is way below MSRP) for every single R they sell. They've decided to make 991 of them,what's the big deal...move on!
It's simple : those that couldn't get one are pissed,those that got one are happy Porsche made only 991 of them. It's like going to an exclusive party where they only allow hot women and just a few lucky men. The men that can't get in are pissed,the ones that got in are super excited of the situation and happy they'll get all the women.

Well you forgot to mentioned that the said party is hosted by a silicon implant manufacturer trying to show case their new implants that will be available to everyone soon.

That, in a nut shell, is the 911R. It;s a beta parts bin car, to beta test the manual transmission. To sweeten the pot for the 'selected' individuals, Porsche throw some brand new carbon fibre from fenders, sort of like the implant company throwing in free Trojans, and the magnesium roof, which were surplus from the GT3RS, sort of like a freebie hotel room which they overbooked beforehand.

it was just a gigantic dick measuring contest. Some people though they had a giant *****, until the went for the measurement and found out there are 991 persons with bigger dicks, of course people will get pissed that way. But then again within those 991 people, about 50 of so have a even bigger dick.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:05 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Porsche's whole approach to the GT cars is a bad business decision IMO. They're leaving money on the table and doing nothing positive for the brand. As a shareholder, I'd be critical if they continued along this path.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:12 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Well you forgot to mentioned that the said party is hosted by a silicon implant manufacturer trying to show case their new implants that will be available to everyone soon.

That, in a nut shell, is the 911R. It;s a beta parts bin car, to beta test the manual transmission. To sweeten the pot for the 'selected' individuals, Porsche throw some brand new carbon fibre from fenders, sort of like the implant company throwing in free Trojans, and the magnesium roof, which were surplus from the GT3RS, sort of like a freebie hotel room which they overbooked beforehand.

it was just a gigantic dick measuring contest. Some people though they had a giant *****, until the went for the measurement and found out there are 991 persons with bigger dicks, of course people will get pissed that way. But then again within those 991 people, about 50 of so have a even bigger dick.
This is the plan english version. LOL.

I don't have an R but I've never had any girl friends complain.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:33 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Can we just go back to talking about Our newly elected Rennlist cleaning lady Alice Goodwin, because unlike the subject of this thread, she doesn't look like she's been beaten to death yet.
Attached Images  
Old 02-22-2017, 05:37 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Can we just go back to talking about Our newly elected Rennlist cleaning lady Alice Goodwin, because unlike the subject of this thread, she doesn't look like she's been beaten to death yet.
YES!!! BIG Damn,you found a hotter picture of her than mine!
Old 02-22-2017, 05:41 PM
wegentop
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you watch closely, you will notice lots of cars has come down in value, Lt, classic Porsche, ferrari...etc
Old 02-22-2017, 06:04 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Where do I go to put a deposit down on this model?

When is delivery expected?
Old 02-22-2017, 06:11 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Where do I go to put a deposit down on this model?

When is delivery expected?
You better be ready to pay a premium for that! Nobody gets that at MSRP,not even the 918 owners!
Old 02-22-2017, 06:18 PM
grendel88
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You better be ready to pay a premium for that! Nobody gets that at MSRP,not even the 918 owners!
All depreciating assets...
Old 02-22-2017, 06:32 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 108 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by mass27; 08-27-2017 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:33 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 108 Posts

Quick Reply: 911R sells for $380k