Sponsored by:

Need help picking seats for my GT3

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 04:15 PM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Need help picking seats for my GT3

So I am trying to decide between 2 different racing seats for my 2015 GT3.

I bought this car for the track mainly and the 18 way bucket seats are not doing the job of holding me in place to where my knee is getting bruised up during track day.

Here are the 2 seats I am trying to make a decision on:

1) PRO 2000 II

2) Racetech RT4119W Racing Seat

I know the Race Techs are like double the price, but they look pretty nice and might be worth it but not sure.

Was hoping someone had some install pics on their GT3 they could share so I can see what they look like in the car and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Old 02-19-2017, 04:22 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

I thought I was the only person that had the knee issue!

I went through this same thing before I sold my GT4. I considered lots of options. My two cents - if you aren't going to have OEM LWB you may as well have the extra safety of a halo. The Sparco Ergo has a removable halo so that it isn't so annoying on the street. Something more to consider.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:28 PM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tstafford
I thought I was the only person that had the knee issue!

I went through this same thing before I sold my GT4. I considered lots of options. My two cents - if you aren't going to have OEM LWB you may as well have the extra safety of a halo. The Sparco Ergo has a removable halo so that it isn't so annoying on the street. Something more to consider.
Thank you, those look nice too and I didn't know the halo was removable.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:40 AM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I have the pro 2000 in my simulator. I also have a set of Evo 2 US that GMG recovered for me, OMPs and whatever came in my clubsport. The only seat I didnt like the feel of, is the racetech. For me, the seat portion, is too deep, and that was the feedback from a few other people who tried several seats back to back.

ETA: I have cobras too, and love them. I think BBI has done a few installs with those seats.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:14 PM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nxfedlt1
I have the pro 2000 in my simulator. I also have a set of Evo 2 US that GMG recovered for me, OMPs and whatever came in my clubsport. The only seat I didnt like the feel of, is the racetech. For me, the seat portion, is too deep, and that was the feedback from a few other people who tried several seats back to back.

ETA: I have cobras too, and love them. I think BBI has done a few installs with those seats.
Do you know which Ractech seat you sat in?
That is a concern cause if they are to deep then it might cause back issues?
Old 02-20-2017, 01:53 PM
Wooly1
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

I was in the exact position as you. Had 18 ways and was taking the car to the track as well as driving it on the street. I didn't want an after market look in the gorgeous GT3. I was able to find a company that took the Recaro Profi XL and custom covered it with matching Porsche leather and stitching. The Recaro seats are fantastic and they look amazing in the car. They are better for the track than the Stock LWB's for sure. I just pop back in the 18 ways during summer off season for comfort

Roll bar is in my opinion the best available from Cantrell with Schroth Enduro harnesses
Old 02-20-2017, 01:58 PM
hoops25
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I have been trying to decide on two seats as well for my 2014 GT3 with 18 ways and just saw this thread. If I am complicating the original post I can start a new thread...

I'm 6' 175 and trying to decide between the Recaro Profi and the OMP WRC-R seats for track days. They both fit me well but wanted to see if anyone had experience with either or both. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 02-20-2017, 02:01 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Wooly1

I was in the exact position as you. Had 18 ways and was taking the car to the track as well as driving it on the street. I didn't want an after market look in the gorgeous GT3. I was able to find a company that took the Recaro Profi XL and custom covered it with matching Porsche leather and stitching. The Recaro seats are fantastic and they look amazing in the car. They are better for the track than the Stock LWB's for sure. I just pop back in the 18 ways during summer off season for comfort

Roll bar is in my opinion the best available from Cantrell with Schroth Enduro harnesses
Well done!
Old 02-20-2017, 02:49 PM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Wow, that is nice. In my perfect world I would like to buy stock bucket seats, but since they are not available, and who knows when they will be I decided to move forward with racing seats.

I also have Cantrell roll bar arriving Tuesday with the Schroth harnesses also ordered, just need to order seats and I am g2g.

I also live in Cali, where did you get those done and how much did it cost you if you dont mind me asking?

Also considering Cobra seat now which is in the front runner since i started looking deeper into their seats.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:08 PM
Wooly1
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Company is called 311RS and they are out of Minneapolis. 311rs.com I believe. Recaro seats are about $1,000 each to start and then they charge roughly another thousand each to customize them, so about $2,000 per seat. You will then need to pick a seat mount for them. GMG and BBI both have simple seat mounting platforms for the GT3 but I went with the custom Cantrell solution because it saved about 11 pounds per seat. Count on about $500-600 per seat for that regardless of which solution you choose. Every time I take my car to a dealer or other event, the first thing everybody wants to look at are the seats. Really makes the car look special. They work amazing on the track as well and then you have your comfy 18 ways for the off season. As much as I love the look of the OEM LWBs, I really think this is the ultimate solution for someone who takes their car to the track semi regularly. Keep in mind with any aftermarket solution you will get the airbag light on the dash. Doesn't bother me anymore though. Good luck with your project and post a picture with your final solution.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:18 PM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Company is called 311RS and they are out of Minneapolis. 311rs.com I believe. Recaro seats are about $1,000 each to start and then they charge roughly another thousand each to customize them, so about $2,000 per seat. You will then need to pick a seat mount for them. GMG and BBI both have simple seat mounting platforms for the GT3 but I went with the custom Cantrell solution because it saved about 11 pounds per seat. Count on about $500-600 per seat for that regardless of which solution you choose. Every time I take my car to a dealer or other event, the first thing everybody wants to look at are the seats. Really makes the car look special. They work amazing on the track as well and then you have your comfy 18 ways for the off season. As much as I love the look of the OEM LWBs, I really think this is the ultimate solution for someone who takes their car to the track semi regularly. Keep in mind with any aftermarket solution you will get the airbag light on the dash. Doesn't bother me anymore though. Good luck with your project and post a picture with your final solution.
Thank you... Not sure if i have the luxury of time to get a pair of those with a few track events coming up but they look awesome.

Talked to a Cobra dealer and he suggest I use the Suzuka Pro Technology since a halo is not really needed in a GT3 since they don't typically barrel roll and I don't have to worry about fitment issues with this seat since it has already been installed in many GT3's.

Also the Evo seat i was looking at is an older model which is now been replaced by the Sebring model.

Here is the new front runner, also love it uses Alcantera just like my factory seats.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:24 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

The best seat money can buy is the Recaro P1300. Extremely spendy, but it's the stiffest seat I've ever experienced. This is the upgrade seat in the Porsche Cup cars and Clubsports.

I was pretty shocked at how much my seat moved laterally the first time I viewed in-car video after installing a race seat.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:39 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by GT345
Thank you... Not sure if i have the luxury of time to get a pair of those with a few track events coming up but they look awesome.

Talked to a Cobra dealer and he suggest I use the Suzuka Pro Technology since a halo is not really needed in a GT3 since they don't typically barrel roll and I don't have to worry about fitment issues with this seat since it has already been installed in many GT3's.

Also the Evo seat i was looking at is an older model which is now been replaced by the Sebring model.

Here is the new front runner, also love it uses Alcantera just like my factory seats.

The only issue with these high bolsters, is it makes getting in and out a little bit of a chore. I'm fairly fit, and still have to do a "pull up" to get up and over the bolster support even if I slide the seat back everytime. If it was me, I'd get a seat with a little lower bolster.

The racetech you posted is the one I sat in. There are lots on the floor at WR in Austin and PRI had each seat somewhere on the floor to try. In my TTB(4) m3, I put the omp seats since I still drive that car on the street on occasion.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:52 PM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
The best seat money can buy is the Recaro P1300. Extremely spendy, but it's the stiffest seat I've ever experienced. This is the upgrade seat in the Porsche Cup cars and Clubsports.

I was pretty shocked at how much my seat moved laterally the first time I viewed in-car video after installing a race seat.
Yea nice seat but 8k per seat is defiantly on spendy side.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:56 PM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nxfedlt1
The only issue with these high bolsters, is it makes getting in and out a little bit of a chore. I'm fairly fit, and still have to do a "pull up" to get up and over the bolster support even if I slide the seat back everytime. If it was me, I'd get a seat with a little lower bolster.

The racetech you posted is the one I sat in. There are lots on the floor at WR in Austin and PRI had each seat somewhere on the floor to try. In my TTB(4) m3, I put the omp seats since I still drive that car on the street on occasion.
Did the Racetech feel on the deeper side? I don't know if there are any Racetech dealers near me that have them in stock to test out in California.

Was planning on going to place tomorrow to test out the Cobra's to see which i fit better in, the standard or wide. I am right at 15in from floor to hip bone.

Quick Reply: Need help picking seats for my GT3