Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R- development and postponed "PTS"...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 11:59 AM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Love the arrow blue and no issues with you repainting it. Would only suggest to maybe stick with the stripes being decals in case you change your mind on those down the road ??
Can't wait to see the finished product!
Old 01-31-2017, 12:01 PM
Oldskewl
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great project!

I look forward to seeing stripped R pictures and all the purist peeing in their pants.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:16 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jo_ker
will Porsche GB do it by their own? wtdoom/Woppum were saying Porsche UK done Woppum´s RS. Which is also a dealership or a "HQ workshop"? I guess it will be the same people - which makes sense as long Woppum was highly satisfied as i have in mind.
Porsche Reading (aka Porsche GB) have their own paintshop on site. They have repainted a few of the CGTs and occasional 918 and did do woppum's metallic orange car.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:18 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 436 Likes on 260 Posts

Very interesting choice, this will be very neat to see. I hope you will post a few shots of the process.

I am used to restoring classics and have to deal with unpleasant amounts of rust. To see a new Porsche, (let alone an R) stripped back would be very interesting.

Good luck!
-Andrew

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 01-31-2017, 12:19 PM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Footsoldier
I know it was a controversial car, but having eventually been allocated one, I can't imagine ever selling my R, whatever comes next from Porsche. It's the ideal modern car for me.

So, I've been talking to Robert Linton, who is clearly doing some great development work. My intention is to look at a package of his developed parts towards the end of the year, and have them fitted in one go.

In the meantime, my R has gone back to Porsche GB, who are going to strip it back to the shell and repaint in Arrow Blue (same as 918). My late allocation meant that there was no chance of PTS at the time

Given that Daniel (lessthan3mph) was instrumental in helping me make the decision, I think this is a good place to record the progress of that. Daniel helped with initial mock-ups of the car, and I have since had a render done (with more help from @jkautomtotive on Instagram!)

So this is what is used to look like....(although now has side stripes)

And this is what it will look like. (Still to finalise stripes, but likely matte silver, and likely painted on)

Personal taste, and maybe not as subtle as some, but I like it!

I'll update from time to time.
I think it is beautiful
Old 01-31-2017, 12:24 PM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by isv
Porsche Reading (aka Porsche GB) have their own paintshop on site. They have repainted a few of the CGTs and occasional 918 and did do woppum's metallic orange car.
thank you.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:30 PM
BusDriver
Instructor

Received 217 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Footsoldier
I know it was a controversial car, but having eventually been allocated one, I can't imagine ever selling my R, whatever comes next from Porsche. It's the ideal modern car for me.

So, I've been talking to Robert Linton, who is clearly doing some great development work. My intention is to look at a package of his developed parts towards the end of the year, and have them fitted in one go.

In the meantime, my R has gone back to Porsche GB, who are going to strip it back to the shell and repaint in Arrow Blue (same as 918). My late allocation meant that there was no chance of PTS at the time

Given that Daniel (lessthan3mph) was instrumental in helping me make the decision, I think this is a good place to record the progress of that. Daniel helped with initial mock-ups of the car, and I have since had a render done (with more help from @jkautomtotive on Instagram!)

Personal taste, and maybe not as subtle as some, but I like it!

I'll update from time to time.

That looks fantastic Footsoldier! And very good that you are doing the Linton kit - I am considering it too.

Look forward to your updates, and of course the final outcome will be absolutely unique!
Old 01-31-2017, 03:18 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks all.

I know that the concept/color scheme won't be to everyone's taste, but I thought about it for a long time and am very happy to go ahead. The more I looked at the blue, the better it looked.

The cost is very similar to PTS on 918, and I paid list for the car. To me, that's a good deal for a unique car, built the way I would have chosen at the start if possible.

I can't control what someone else thinks of the value, and I won't be selling by choice, so not relevant.

It is getting painted at Porsche HQ in the UK. They did Woppum's car, and they also fully restored/repainted my 924CGT last year, so I am very comfortable with what they will turn out. (Porsche Edinburgh did the mechanicals)

Stripe colour:

Still to decide. I think silver will be best, but am looking at white as suggested. Agree it might be better to leave as stickers. My plan is to get stickers in silver on one side, and white on the other, (after painting). Then, go and have a look at the car and decide what looks better, and discard the other side! If I'm convinced I won't change my mind in future, might decide to paint on to complete the job.

Here are some of the other options before I chose the one in first post. (PS - I'm not looking for a vote! I think you need to go with what you like and stick to it). "Garage" renders are Daniel's

Car is about to be stripped - engine, gearbox, suspension etc. Porsche GB is getting some parts sprayed in Arrow Blue, and sending them to me for sign off of color (I can compare to 918).

Pics by @aimerydutheil_photography and @jk.automotive

They are going to send me frequent pics, and I'll post some on here.

Planning a Spa trip with it in April, and will all be complete well before then.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:32 PM
Buenen
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maxt
Irrelevant as he clearly said he will never sell! Bless him!!

I have nothing against OP's wish to repaint, but I'm genuinely interested in knowing how bad is the drop in prices of repainted cars (if any).

I didn't get the chance to spec my car too, and white wasn't my favourite color..
Old 01-31-2017, 03:42 PM
928cs
Race Car

Received 506 Likes on 323 Posts

If you go this way, you have to do it well:

Do you plan to paint the rims also?

Carbon fiber rear side mirrors shells, to match all the carbon fibers parts from the RL kit?
Old 01-31-2017, 03:56 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

You're a brave man, having a brand new car stripped. But looks like that shop knows what they're doing. Hopefully they can put it back to factory finish, with no consequences. One thing I'd for sure do is PAINT the stripes, so at least you're improving the factory paint job. And also paint other parts that look better painted. The only concern I'd have is basically all aftermarket paint jobs are more prone to chipping than factory, no matter how good, but maybe that shop is the exception, especially since it's not in the US. Of course if you PPF the entire car, it'd be a moot point (just wait until it's fully cured). Awesome paint color choice, by the way. Good luck.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:56 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Keeping rims and callipers as original. I think they go well with the blue.
I'm not yet sure about all the carbon bits - one of the reasons I'll wait til end of the year, to decide on a comprehensive package.
The front lip and the rear diffuser are already scraped (2,000 miles), and not sure about replacing with carbon (planning to do lots of miles and have no lift).

Engine cover, wing, side skirts are more likely, but it's the other bits that are the most interesting (unsprung mass, maybe wheels etc). Let's see what Rob L develops.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:59 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by elp_jc
You're a brave man, having a brand new car stripped. But looks like that shop knows what they're doing. Hopefully they can put it back to factory finish, with no consequences. One thing I'd for sure do is PAINT the stripes, so at least you're improving the factory paint job. And also paint other parts that look better painted. The only concern I'd have is basically all aftermarket paint jobs are more prone to chipping than factory, no matter how good, but maybe that shop is the exception, especially since it's not in the US. Of course if you PPF the entire car, it'd be a moot point. Awesome paint color choice, by the way. Good luck.
Thanks - and have a friend who owns top PPF installer and is ready to do the whole car when finished.
Probably agree on stripes, it just means I'm committed to never de-striping in future. I'm guessing once I see it in the flesh, I'll be happy to go permanent!
Old 01-31-2017, 04:35 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Arrow blue is the best Porsche blue IMO. Bet it's gonna look awesome.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:35 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Do it man,why not! Just don't start a disco in your R like the last brave man coming from England did. Also no Lambo doors and under car neon lights.
Enjoy and congrats!

Quick Reply: R- development and postponed "PTS"...