Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Lightweight Huracan with sub 7min Ring time (beats 918)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 04:51 AM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

News just in:

"Formula one to abandon technical checks as there's no need - we can all see the video, and there's a driver in the car. Ergo, no-one is cheating, and never has"

None of the manufactures times can be totally relied on, if it's a self-supported effort for marketing purposes. They are hardly going to announce 'new car slower than older ones', so they need to make the facts fit the story each time.

I'd be astonished if they didn't all 'optimise' their cars. It's just a question of degree.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:12 AM
Apolo1
Pro

Received 298 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by isv
The 'huracan racing platform' was so fast that at the VLN and 24h 'ring, it won or finished on the podium every round. oh wait....

Well maybe if the R8 LMS car is a shared platform car with the huracan like the road car perhaps that might be a bit more realistic.... and even so those pesky AMG GT3s seemed to be pretty quick too.
The problem with these ring time special's, is not just when the customers get their cars but when the Mag start time testing testing even the optimum spec press cars, its all goes pear shaped very fast. As can be seen with the SV- 918 lap times.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:52 AM
Fadi1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The question is: can the Lambo make 2 laps without breaking down
Old 02-21-2017, 08:06 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
Could be, but then they have to price it accordingly. Who's going to keep shelling out for a GT3 and RS @ 150k & 200k if that puts you in the bracket of cars that murder them on track ?
Because all the big HP numbers, I think the next RS is the GT2RS.
Perhaps the current RS is the last N/A RS, save another LE at the end of the 991.

Porsche can easily sell a GT3RS called GT2RS with 2 Turbos slapped on, more tunable gearbox settings (5+ instead of current 2) more advanced RWS and better rubber for $200k.
Maybe even add gigantic active aero like a mix between TTS and GT3RS aero...

It would have all the numbers to get very close to supercar performance and we know Porsche can do more with less and be more reliable.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:05 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Porsche can toss an RS engine in the Cayman Lambo SV engine in the Huracan.

It's all marketing - they always wait awhile before upgrading down the line making sure they don't compete internally.

Active Aero introduced on the Huracan before the replacement Aventador places it ahead for now.

Lambo is staying NA which IMO makes them much more appealing. Eventually the AV replacement will have Trofeo's better transmission and guessing like the Ferrari Super Fast near 800 hp.

No turbo hybrid all NA sounds well worth the price of admission personally would not want it any other way.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:07 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Porsche is best at doling measured improvements, so we keep buying.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:08 AM
kingjr9000
Racer

Originally Posted by Apolo1
First of all I was not trying to be disrespectful in any way. But if you had been in a 918 and or an SV even as a passenger you would get my point, instantly.

Same very good driver same day same track, same rubber don't think that there would be a lot in between the LT and SV.
First, I'm glad that you weren't trying to be rude, thank you. Next, I have never been in any supercar and i stopped going to dealers as a fan, when they always used to virtually kick me out for just looking at them. So i stopped going until I'm able to afford one. Last, thats what I've always been trying to figure out and ask, especially over at mclife during my time there: why was the SV so close to the LT despite's its massive weight difference, but no one ever gave me a proper answer other than "cheater tires". What are cheater tires? Trofeos? If so, they should check their home before they start throwing rocks.

Originally Posted by Apolo1
The problem with these ring time special's, is not just when the customers get their cars but when the Mag start time testing testing even the optimum spec press cars, its all goes pear shaped very fast. As can be seen with the SV- 918 lap times.
I i remember correctly, there was one mag where they did get poor acceleration times, and a poor dyno time due to temperature. There could also have been another one where the mag was purposely given bad tire settings. Why? I have no clue. Some think it was intentionally internal VAG reasons.

One more thing, when i generally speak of the SV, i usually speak of the SV vs LT, not the 918. I know the 918 has a massive advantage when it comes to acceleration, so thats already going to put it ahead of the SV by at least a couple of seconds right at the start.

Originally Posted by Footsoldier
News just in:

"Formula one to abandon technical checks as there's no need - we can all see the video, and there's a driver in the car. Ergo, no-one is cheating, and never has"

None of the manufactures times can be totally relied on, if it's a self-supported effort for marketing purposes. They are hardly going to announce 'new car slower than older ones', so they need to make the facts fit the story each time.

I'd be astonished if they didn't all 'optimise' their cars. It's just a question of degree.
The mags usually check the car from engine to camber, and usually specify if it was tested or manufacturer provided, like they did for the 488's aero test.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:17 AM
kingjr9000
Racer

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
Typical.

You 918 guys feed off each other - go back to your closed group where you all stroke one another.

The guy made it crystal clear how he felt about bs just like this and you still are a dick with an energizer bunny Tesla V8 whoppee!

let's see how many 918 guys come to post in a Huracan thread - why because you got beat at the ring!

Funny thing is - willing to bet many of you called Porsche and asked for another power upgrade
Please try to tone it down on the insults. Wouldn't want you to get banned by the mods.

Porsche can toss an RS engine in the Cayman Lambo SV engine in the Huracan.

It's all marketing - they always wait awhile before upgrading down the line making sure they don't compete internally.

Active Aero introduced on the Huracan before the replacement Aventador places it ahead for now.

Lambo is staying NA which IMO makes them much more appealing. Eventually the AV replacement will have Trofeo's better transmission and guessing like the Ferrari Super Fast near 800 hp.

No turbo hybrid all NA sounds well worth the price of admission personally would not want it any other way.
I honestly dont think they could even fit the v12 in the huracan. But any way, as long as lambo stay near or below the 7,000 mark, they shouldn't have to worry too much about emissions.

If I'm understanding things right, the 918 could have gone faster, but it would have also been dangerous to do so. If i recall correctly, a few members on here like WTDoom, have said that it could have around 9-10secs faster at the ring. Even if porsche went back and set a 6:47, the Huracan with the lower weight advantage setting a 6:52, would most likely not translate over to other tracks due the lack of raw acceleration.

The huracan is reportedly going to get from 0-200kph in "slightly under 9secs", so it certainly won't win acceleration matches. But, neither does the Viper ACR.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:15 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Could be, but then they have to price it accordingly. Who's going to keep shelling out for a GT3 and RS @ 150k & 200k if that puts you in the bracket of cars that murder them on track ?
But it doesn't put you in that bracket, because cars costing $150-200k aren't in the same bracket as cars costing $275-$400k. The comparison is irrelevant unless Porsche decides to produce a car in that price range. My point is that maybe Porsche doesn't really care about that niche and is just fine cranking out cars at a lower price point that already offer more performance than 99% of the customers of any of these brands can even begin to use. Personally, even for the same money, I'd take a GT3RS over anything from Lambo any day of the week. There's a lot more to car ownership than lap times for a lot of customers.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:26 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Lambo is staying NA which IMO makes them much more appealing.
*cough*Urus*cough*
Old 02-21-2017, 02:33 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
But it doesn't put you in that bracket, because cars costing $150-200k aren't in the same bracket as cars costing $275-$400k. The comparison is irrelevant unless Porsche decides to produce a car in that price range. My point is that maybe Porsche doesn't really care about that niche and is just fine cranking out cars at a lower price point that already offer more performance than 99% of the customers of any of these brands can even begin to use. Personally, even for the same money, I'd take a GT3RS over anything from Lambo any day of the week. There's a lot more to car ownership than lap times for a lot of customers.
I respectfully disagree. 150-200k puts me in a AMG GTR and in a 570s. Both will have a gt3 for lunch on track. Only question is if the merc and the mac will be able to go back out for desert ;-)
Thing is, even at that price, the mac is a supercar with carbon chassis and fancy doors. And the GT3 is, to the casual onlooker, just a 911, just a porsche.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:49 PM
Catmagog
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 6 Posts

Funny, I own a Mac 650S which I really like BUT would have a Huracan Performante way before a 720S.

Might be due to ALL Mac's essentially being the same car i.e. same engine, same CF chassis, same gearbox.

It might sound great on paper but not sure how it will translate into sales when in my country its at least 30% more than the Lambo.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:50 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 610 Likes on 295 Posts

570s will not have an RS for lunch. Straightline only. Curious as to AMG GTR in AutoSport review times. Bet it doesn't get close to stated time with increased boost/cut heated special tires.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:23 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

I respectfully disagree. 150-200k puts me in a AMG GTR and in a 570s. Both will have a gt3 for lunch on track. Only question is if the merc and the mac will be able to go back out for desert ;-)
Thing is, even at that price, the mac is a supercar with carbon chassis and fancy doors. And the GT3 is, to the casual onlooker, just a 911, just a porsche.
But this thread, the discussion, and my comments are about the Huracan and the 720S, not the 570S or the AMG. You're responding to a comment that wasn't made.

And Porsche doesn't need to do anything to compete with either of the cars you mention in the marketplace, other than building more cars to satisfy demand.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:40 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

[QUOTE=kingjr9000;13974783]Please try to tone it down on the insults. Wouldn't want you to get banned by the mods.

It was deleted by the mods - regardless it is what it is.

Quick Reply: OT: Lightweight Huracan with sub 7min Ring time (beats 918)